Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Added a bit up front. Many have asked about setup.
Controller:
Switch-Pros SW9100 mounted left of steering wheel:

Rally Innovations Rally Light Bar

Vision X Unite light bar with:
4 amber flood lights on ends
2 white flood lights on either side of the center white spot

2 Baja Designs Squadron Sports- Amber - Driving combo

2 Baja Designs Amber S2 fogs
Rally Innovations fog bracket

·
Registered
500 Posts
I sent RallyI an email this past week. I, too am interested in some lighting, but I also have the Primitive skid plate. I asked them for the modification/installation instructions. No reply as of yet.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sent RallyI an email this past week. I, too am interested in some lighting, but I also have the Primitive skid plate. I asked them for the modification/installation instructions. No reply as of yet.
Call him
He almost always answers
But the answer is YES
I believe he can send you the modification pics

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should add it allows a trigger setting too. You can run it independently of the fog switch. When auto headlights go on, and fog switch is set to ON, the trigger will turn on fogs. Without lights on, you simply press the SW9100 and fogs engage. The switch allows 2 trigger points.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
105 Posts
Does your setup disable the fog lights when high beams are activated? I failed a Virginia inspection many years ago because I didn't integrate a relay to disable the aftermarket fog lights when high beams were on.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does your setup disable the fog lights when high beams are activated? I failed a Virginia inspection many years ago because I didn't integrate a relay to disable the aftermarket fog lights when high beams were on.
You can jump it to not kill them, but currently, yes, it disables when high beams come on.

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
I'm not sure that's what Virginia law says, but, I've heard it interpreted both ways. As far as I understood, one can only have four lights on, but, an automatic device to enforce that wasn't required for passenger vehicles.

·
Registered
772 Posts
^ Sometimes the techs working the floor don't necessarily interpret the rules in a manner that's favorable to us. ;)

It's kinda like trying to talk your way out of a traffic ticket on the side of the road, even when you know for sure, that you're not in-violation.

One of my wife's mentors from a few years ago was pulled-over and ticketed for an equipment violation by one of the local townships' - uh.....slightly more aggressive - traffic enforcement officers. She was given a ticket for a failure of "red by sight" of her tail-lights, which, at the time, were OE-Lexus RX.

I know it's not directly cross-applicable, but it's just one of those things that people who've messed around with their vehicles for long enough have come to accept - that sometimes, the battle is uphill. :)

·
Super Moderator
2,589 Posts
I'm not sure that's what Virginia law says, but, I've heard it interpreted both ways.
Virginia law says you shall not do anything fun to your vehicle. I’d love to add some lights but I can’t even get thru a state inspection without changing my built in light’s bulbs each year. Everywhere I’ve had inspections done wouldn’t even start one on something like OP’s ascent, as nicely done as it is.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,292 Posts
Since we're talking about Virginia motor vehicle regulations, you're also not allowed to have a piece of forward lighting that operates without rear lighting as well. In other words, you can't have an auxilliary light set up front that you can turn on without at least the running lights also on (to prevent you running down the road with no rear lighting).

I think this is actually federal law (FMVSS 108). I don't think anyone would actually pull someone over for it, but I do think Virginia has integrated this requirement into their state safety inspection program. A friend of mine in high school...so this was 20 years ago now...had his Bronco II fail inspection because he had a set of fog lights on a separate rocker switch and they operated independent of the main lighting system.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
105 Posts
I'm not sure that's what Virginia law says, but, I've heard it interpreted both ways. As far as I understood, one can only have four lights on, but, an automatic device to enforce that wasn't required for passenger vehicles.

Yes, the interpretation part is where it gets messy. But, in the same document/code you referenced in section I.13.f.(1) (referring directly to Fog Lights), it states "If installed on a vehicle with a four-headlamp system, or a vehicle equipped with driving lamps, they must be wired into the low beam circuit."

Again, up to interpretation but I can see that line playing a big role. :)

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,292 Posts
These stories from Virginia saddens my heart!
Virginia is simply enforcing federal law. Other states may or may not do that, but state law can never be more relaxed than federal law (in other words, a state cannot say the federal law does not apply). Auxiliary lighting is used to supplement but not replace low beam headlamps. That's the way the federal lighting regulations (FMVSS 108) are written. The requirement is not a state-driven requirement, but enforcement of the federal requirement certainly can and probably does vary by state. And even within a given state, there are probably individual inspectors who look more closely at certain things than others.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,292 Posts
From the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 (emphasis mine):

S5.5.8 On a motor vehicle equipped with a headlighting system designed to conform to the photometric requirements of Figure 15-1 or Figure 15-2, the lamps marked “L” or “LF” may be wired to remain permanently activated when the lamps marked “U” or “UF” are activated. On a motor vehicle equipped with an Integral Beam headlighting system meeting the photometric requirements of paragraph S7.4(a)(1)(ii), the lower beam headlamps shall be wired to remain permanently activated when the upper beam headlamps are activated. On a motor vehicle equipped with a headlighting system designed to conform to the requirements of Figure 17-1 or Figure 17-2, a lower beam light source may be wired to remain activated when an upper beam light source is activated if the lower beam light source contributes to compliance of the headlighting system with the upper beam requirements of Figure 17-1 or Figure 17-2.
In short, depending on the design of the headlamp system, low beams either must stay on or may stay on when the high beams are selected. This applies to a low beam/high beam setup, and does not cover auxiliary lamps (such as driving lamps or fog lamps)...but I'm quoting this section here because it's referenced by the next section in the reg.

S5.5.9 Except as provided in section S5.5.8 [quoted above], the wiring harness or connector assembly of each headlamp system shall be designed so that only those light sources intended for meeting lower beam photometrics are energized when the beam selector switch is in the lower beam position, and that only those light sources intended for meeting upper beam photometrics are energized when the beam selector switch is in the upper beam position.
In short, unless the headlamp design is addressed in S5.5.8 above, and aftermarket lamps are definitely not integral to the factory lighting design, other lamps are not permitted to remain on when high beams are selected. This is directly from the CFR (FMVSS 108 is actually from 49 CFR section 571).

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
Yes, the interpretation part is where it gets messy. But, in the same document/code you referenced in section I.13.f.(1) (referring directly to Fog Lights), it states "If installed on a vehicle with a four-headlamp system, or a vehicle equipped with driving lamps, they must be wired into the low beam circuit."

Again, up to interpretation but I can see that line playing a big role. :)
This is something that's always made me curios. That law is outdated (as is the federal law it's patterned off of). My Ascent runs two lights (plus fogs). Yet the high beams switch still turn off my fogs. I don't have "high beams".

1 - 20 of 28 Posts