Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

first post here, this afternoon I was filling up the washer reservoir on my car and the foil from the seal broke lose and went down into the reservoir.

do any of y'all have any tips on how to get the foil out other than taking it in to get flushed out?

thanks in advance for the tips and advice!

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
If your reservoir is like mine, the fill neck is fairly lengthy and I'm not sure you could see or retrieve the foil based on being able to see it. Short of taking one of the flexible "grab it" type tools you can buy at any auto parts store and go blindly fishing for it, I'd recommend just letting it be and see if it ever becomes an issue, as it may not.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If your reservoir is like mine, the fill neck is fairly lengthy and I'm not sure you could see or retrieve the foil based on being able to see it. Short of taking one of the flexible "grab it" type tools you can buy at any auto parts store and go blindly fishing for it, I'd recommend just letting it be and see if it ever becomes an issue, as it may not.
thats what ive been reading, im looking at at least a 36" claw. not trying to break the bank, just frustrated that it happened. first time the foil just falls away like that on me.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,285 Posts
I don't know for sure if this is true, but it appears that the filler neck and the main body of the fluid reservoir are two separate pieces. I wonder if it'd be possible to remove the neck itself. Then you could retrieve something that may be floating in the fluid (if that little piece of foil would float) easier.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I haven't dropped anything in there yet, but I noticed right away that the Ascent doesn't have a screen at the top of the washer filler tube like my other vehicles do/did. I'm thinking about were to find or how to fabricate some kind of screen to put in there.

I would expect (hope) that there is some sort of screen at the intake of the pump at the bottom of the reservoir so that the foil wouldn't cause a problem. Good luck on getting it out.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would not worry about it much. I don't think it will cause trouble, with the worst it could do would be to press against the outlet and obstruct the flow of fluid somewhat until it floated away. If it really stops the fluid, then you can go hunting for it. I have claw tools (the crappy ones I have cost a buck or two), but you can't grab what you can't see (or feel). I am sure you are not the first person to do this and you won't be the last!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts