Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I went with the Ascent Premium trim line, as my wife didn’t want leather or a push-button start.

All of our previous cars have had foglights. In addition to it completing “the look,” I’ve found them reasonably helpful on foggy mornings and at times in snow.

How are the Ascent foglights? Has anyone installed them on a premium or basic trim model? I looked up the install instructions, and it doesn’t look too bad...

·
Registered
122 Posts
I had them installed on my Premium a couple of weeks ago. They are quite bright, assuming they are LED. I live in a rural area with few streetlights and they are helpful even on just a regular night. The difference as an add on is that the button is added to the cluster to the left of the steering wheel rather than as a control on the stalk. You can see it if you look closely at the picture for the footwell illumination kit accessory.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had them installed on my Premium a couple of weeks ago. They are quite bright, assuming they are LED. I live in a rural area with few streetlights and they are helpful even on just a regular night. The difference as an add on is that the button is added to the cluster to the left of the steering wheel rather than as a control on the stalk. You can see it if you look closely at the picture for the footwell illumination kit accessory.

Thanks for the insight! I did see that this was the button location in the installation instructions.

Can you leave the button depressed so that they always turn on when the headlights are on but don’t drain the battery when off? Or do you have to turn them on/off each time?

·
Registered
122 Posts
They are connected to the headlights. So you can leave the button 'on' all the time but the fogs lights only turn on if the headlights are on. Plus there is a separate dashboard indicator for the fog lights as well.

·
Registered
275 Posts
My wife and I went with the Ascent Premium trim line, as my wife didn’t want leather or a push-button start.

All of our previous cars have had foglights. In addition to it completing “the look,” I’ve found them reasonably helpful on foggy mornings and at times in snow.

How are the Ascent foglights? Has anyone installed them on a premium or basic trim model? I looked up the install instructions, and it doesn’t look too bad...
I'm considering them as well for my premium because the way they designed the front looks kind of silly where there are supposed to be fog lights but instead it's just a black blank out.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Can you share how much to have it installed? I'm also considering it installed on my Premium.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Can you share how much to have it installed? I'm also considering it installed on my Premium.
I'm considering adding myself. Would like to know too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’m curious what the install price. Alternatively, the install doesn’t look too tricky: https://techinfo.subaru.com/stis/doc/accInstallGuide/H451SXC000_IxI_Ascent_Fog_Light_EN FR.pdf

·
Registered
275 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts

I paid $428 for the fog lights including installation. The dealership I bought from gives a 15% discount on accessories and labor if you purchased a car from them. It was 1 hour of labor.

Reactions: tariktik

·
Registered
275 Posts
If anyone actually does install this, can you take a video? Those illustrations look kind of confusing sometimes.
I just ordered the fog light kit from Heuberger Subaru online for a total of $323.18. I will try to do the install myself. I'll document the install and let you guys know how it goes.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've been doing some looking online and can't come up with a clear answer, does anyone know the Bulb Size of the Fogs? Are they H16 like the Forester?
They're LED, not Halogen. Does that help?
BTW, the instructions for installation are available online. You remove the plastic covers, bolt/screw the projector units to the sheet metal behind the covers, and then replace the covers, Looks easy peasy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
They're LED, not Halogen. Does that help?
BTW, the instructions for installation are available online. You remove the plastic covers, bolt/screw the projector units to the sheet metal behind the covers, and then replace the covers, Looks easy peasy.
ahhh ok...didn't realize the Fogs were LEDs....currently waiting on my Touring build, estimated early December; and ordered with fogs, but assumed halogen, so was going to change bulbs out. LEDs make it that much better. Appreciate it!

·
Registered
253 Posts
ahhh ok...didn't realize the Fogs were LEDs....currently waiting on my Touring build, estimated early December; and ordered with fogs, but assumed halogen, so was going to change bulbs out. LEDs make it that much better. Appreciate it!
For what it's worth, the color temperature of the LED fog lights match that of the LED headlights on the Touring -- this was just my visual assessment of the color, but they seemed to match perfectly. If they were different color temperatures, they would look out-of-place.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For what it's worth, the color temperature of the LED fog lights match that of the LED headlights on the Touring -- this was just my visual assessment of the color, but they seemed to match perfectly. If they were different color temperatures, they would look out-of-place.
Perfect, that's what I was going for, but I didn't realize the fogs were LED....when I saw my only Touring in-person, it was a bright sunny May day and it was a pre-production model that came straight from the factory in Lafayette (I'm in Indianapolis) and a Regional Sales manager was driving it, so didn't really notice before I ordered a Touring for myself. Going to be a long wait until December...

·
Registered
253 Posts
Perfect, that's what I was going for, but I didn't realize the fogs were LED....when I saw my only Touring in-person, it was a bright sunny May day and it was a pre-production model that came straight from the factory in Lafayette (I'm in Indianapolis) and a Regional Sales manager was driving it, so didn't really notice before I ordered a Touring for myself. Going to be a long wait until December...
I further estimate the color temperature to be around 5000K, give or take; it's definitely more than 4100K. Still mostly white, but a bit of blue there. I don't know what it actually is, though. Perhaps someone else might know.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I just ordered the fog light kit from Heuberger Subaru online for a total of $323.18. I will try to do the install myself. I'll document the install and let you guys know how it goes.
I’m curious what the install price. Alternatively, the install doesn’t look too tricky: https://techinfo.subaru.com/stis/doc/accInstallGuide/H451SXC000_IxI_Ascent_Fog_Light_EN FR.pdf
I installed the fog light kit on my Premium model tonight. Here is how it went:

https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/155-diy-how/4619-installing-oem-fog-light-kit.html#post64735

1 - 18 of 18 Posts