Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm on the fence about installing fog lights on my wife's Ascent and would love to see some examples of fogs lights on and off at night. Because I mainly am the driver when we go on family trips (long and short distances), I want to see the roads more clearer.

I have done some google/youtube search and can't find anything that would help me determine if the road is easier/brigther to see at night in front of the Ascent.

Thanks.

·
Registered
159 Posts
IMHO, the factory/dealer fog lights are worthless. They throw an amazing wide beam, but only about 10 feet in front of the car.
They are much more like "cornering lights" that energize when using a turn signal.

·
Administrator
9,874 Posts
IMHO, the factory/dealer fog lights are worthless. They throw an amazing wide beam, but only about 10 feet in front of the car.
They are much more like "cornering lights" that energize when using a turn signal.
That's really all fog lights are supposed to do. They should also be yellow.

We get a lot of fog out here, so, I haven't changed mine. If we didn't, I'd swap them out for something more suitable for regular driving assist (or for off roading).

·
Registered
159 Posts
excerpt:
To get the proper balance of range and reduced glare (for you and oncoming motorists), proper mounting is essential when installing fog lights. The Society of Automotive Engineers (S.A.E.) has developed a standard system for fog light mounting. The organization recommends your mount fog lights 10-14 inches above the ground and then test the angle of the beam at 25 feet. The top of the beam should be about four inches below the center of the lamp itself (see diagram A below).

I'm lucky if it's even 10' toward the front. I'll check the height too, they seem low in the chin. Guess I'll have to cover up the headlights to see what the pattern is, but it's way too much out on the sides, where it does nothing for me.
Why they are white and not yellow, is also a mystery.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I’d argue they’d reduce your night vision when not foggy since you have a brighter foreground.

I’ll see if I can snap a picture next time I’m out. But it’s literally 10-15 in front of the car.

If you’re looking for more light this is what I did.

I added off road lights to mine which really help for rural roads and off highway use. Haven’t needed them yet, but ever since a pair of off road lights on my truck help me find my way out of a dry lake bed at night I put them on all my “adventure” vehicles

Mounted behind the lower grill are Bajadesigns XL80 at 10k lumens each. All spot reflectors but there’s so much spill it covers everything. For reference factory led headlights are probably 2-3k lumens.

You decide the optics, wide, spot, combo of both. I felt the Ascent had great wide close up light. I wanted something that goes beyond high beams. These go at least 8-10x farther.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’d argue they’d reduce your night vision when not foggy since you have a brighter foreground.

I’ll see if I can snap a picture next time I’m out. But it’s literally 10-15 in front of the car.

If you’re looking for more light this is what I did.

I added off road lights to mine which really help for rural roads and off highway use. Haven’t needed them yet, but ever since a pair of off road lights on my truck help me find my way out of a dry lake bed at night I put them on all my “adventure” vehicles

Mounted behind the lower grill are Bajadesigns XL80 at 10k lumens each. All spot reflectors but there’s so much spill it covers everything. For reference factory led headlights are probably 2-3k lumens.

You decide the optics, wide, spot, combo of both. I felt the Ascent had great wide close up light. I wanted something that goes beyond high beams. These go at least 8-10x farther.

View attachment 1446
Hi, can you go into detail regarding the brackets that was used to mount to two baja design light pods.
Thank you

·
Registered
542 Posts
Hi, can you go into detail regarding the brackets that was used to mount to two baja design light pods.
Thank you
Hey it’s definitely a medium level DIY project. Basically remove the bumper, drill holes into steel, install rivnut, and spacers and brackets that come with the lights.

Including wiring it probably took 20hrs. I wouldn’t recommend it unless you like tinkering with things. I had to remove and install the bumper 4x to measure, mount and check and align. End result was clean and theft resistant. If you still want to try it, there’s a thread in the lighting section.

I’d recommend this route for a quicker solution

Or

Reinforced with a plate in the back of the bumper as all that’s holding it in is plastic.

For distance I recommend Bajadesigns Onx6 or VisionX XPR for that location. Big reflectors = range

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for the information. My wife wants a clean and incognito look so I'll give your solution a go. She doesn't like the bull bar up front.
I was just going to put some baja sport amber for driving in dense fog and rain. Done some wiring for my truck before so hardest is probably taking the bumber off without breaking any tabs.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Thank you for the information. My wife wants a clean and incognito look so I'll give your solution a go. She doesn't like the bull bar up front.
I was just going to put some baja sport amber for driving in dense fog and rain. Done some wiring for my truck before so hardest is probably taking the bumber off without breaking any tabs.
That was the easy part =)

Hardest part was drilling into heavy gauge steel straight, installing the rivnut, breaking the rivnut tool, reassembling everything, and doing it again when the new tool got there.

Ps. The rivnuts needed to install them using BD hardware will require a specialty drill bit bigger than what most cordless drill will take. 17/32 (larger that 1/2'') So I'd size down the hardware or be very careful with a stepped drill bit because if the hole is too big the rivnut will be loose and very hard to remove.

Good luck! Very happy with the results, but don't think I'd attempt it again.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I've never tested them for the purpose of driving in low visibility condition (i.e. foggy morning). At night, they're pretty much worthless because the OEM LED headlight is amazingly bright and evenly distributed. I suggest getting the halogen version and use yellow bulbs.

·
Administrator
9,874 Posts
I've never tested them for the purpose of driving in low visibility condition (i.e. foggy morning). At night, they're pretty much worthless because the OEM LED headlight is amazingly bright and evenly distributed. I suggest getting the halogen version and use yellow bulbs.
I do find they light up the car's corner areas nicely for ultra-close-up lane marker visibility, but, I also find people think that I have my brights on, I guess because of how bright the LEDs are and they also see a second set of lights on at the same time. :sneaky:

But yeah, I also don't really have much need for using them. They were nice going down the switchbacks into Shafer Canyon in Canyonlands National Park.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That was the easy part =)

Hardest part was drilling into heavy gauge steel straight, installing the rivnut, breaking the rivnut tool, reassembling everything, and doing it again when the new tool got there.

Ps. The rivnuts needed to install them using BD hardware will require a specialty drill bit bigger than what most cordless drill will take. 17/32 (larger that 1/2'') So I'd size down the hardware or be very careful with a stepped drill bit because if the hole is too big the rivnut will be loose and very hard to remove.

Good luck! Very happy with the results, but don't think I'd attempt it again.

Hi. Are the lights mounted from the upper part or the bottom part of the bumper?

I can't seem to make it out from the picture.

You mentioned about using the Rivnuts, will the standard mounting hardware, bolt and nuts, not work for this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
These are what I'm planning to go with, if I ever get around to it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
As for the factory fog lights, not so good. The headlights are awesome in the ascent. Love the way they turn with you. Anybody have any ideas to replace these little leds with a brighter one or maybe like Robert said a yellow one. If course I am talking about something that fits and does not look like an aftermarket? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited
48 Posts
That's really all fog lights are supposed to do. They should also be yellow.

We get a lot of fog out here, so, I haven't changed mine. If we didn't, I'd swap them out for something more suitable for regular driving assist (or for off roading).
one wonders why Subaru doesn't put yellow FL on their cars, but then no one does. I was extremely happy when I put PIAA Ion bulbs on my Outback (AND readjusted the aim per PIAA instructions)

·
Administrator
9,874 Posts
Yeah, I've always wondered why almost no one uses yellow. I got the vinyl overlays, but never got to installing them.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring stock.... for meow.
24 Posts
Sorry this is a bit late, I don't frequent this forum as much as other ones. I installed the Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro Yellow. They are fantastic and can't be beat by anything currently on the market, end of conversation. If you're curious how they perform against ANY LED aftermarket SAE Fog Light, check this thread out. There is no source out there that is this detailed or unbiased. He uses a light meter (very expensive might I add) made to measure LED as well as any other light source. Many others that you see test lights don't use the correct equipment and it causes inaccurate readings, Headlight Revolution on YouTube is one of those offenders. With light meters not designed for use with LED's, they overexaggerate the actual light output. In fact, his testing is so detailed that it called out Baja Designs due to having too much glare (causing it to bother oncoming traffic) and prompted Baja Designs to pause sales on their SAE fog lights and revise the design. Which they simply put a block off plate behind the lens that has small openings in it allow light only out of small rectangles in front of each LED. As you can imagine it reduced the output even more. Either way, even before the revision it performed worse the Diode Dynamics and Rigids, heck they are even dimmer than the OEM halogen Tacoma Fog Lights.

The LED SAE J583 Fog Pod & Fog Light Review

The reason to go with a Yellow (research selective yellow if you'd like) fog light is for better poor weather visibility and eye strain on the driver. In fact, I installed these in Nov the day before going on a deployment and didn't tell my wife. A couple weeks later there was a snow storm and she flipped on the fog lights for the first time since install and couldn't believe how much better she could see. She normally doesn't notice things like this. But I got a message when she got to work about how much she loved them! Thats a huge testament there! lol

I cannot stress to people enough to NOT waste their money on the Baja Designs SAE Fog Lights. They are abysmal at best! Also Baja Designs Wide Cornering are NOT SAE APPROVED, DON'T USE THEM AS FOG LIGHTS!!!! They make fantastic off road lights, but their SAE is not good. However on that note, there has been quite a bit of recent ONYX6 light bars that are having LED failures and moisture issues lately, quality dropping maybe? I hope not, because I want all companies to succeed since it just makes the whole market work harder to compete with each other and make better products.

Heres a run down of the power options of the SS3
-Sport Yellow SAE Fog Light - Lowest power, very good focus and equal to or better than almost any OEM fog light. They lens stays warm, but not warm enough to keep heavy build up of snow slush off.

-Pro Yellow SAE Fog Light (I own these) - Medium power, has more light bleed than the Sport or Max but still well within SAE standards, a more true selective yellow than the Sport and Max due to the use of a 4000 kelvin LED chip, which the Sport and Max us a 5000k LED chip. I prefer Pro because of the small amount of light bleed. It illuminates road signs just enough that they don't glare too bad and actually makes them easier to read because they are not bright white. The glare is not offensive to oncoming traffic or when in front of my wife while in my 01 Outback. Also the lens stays warm enough to melt snow/slush unlike the Sport.

- Max Yellow SAE Fog Light - HIGHEST POWER!!! Bar none the brightest and most focused SAE Fog Light you can buy, the price reflects that too though. Very good focus and insanely amazing output. My buddy has them on his Legacy that he drives 70 miles a day each way for work. I can absolutely say they are worth the money over the Pros if you can justify it yourself. Lens stays warm enough to melt snow and slush as well.

Here are some output shots (both with headlights off) of the OEM LED fog lights vs Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro Yellow. In this photo the OEM fog lights have been raised from the factory position as they come adjusted very low from the factory making them pretty much useless. The photo of the DD SS3's were before I aimed them a little lower, so keep that in mind. For reference wall is about 40-50 ft away from the front of the vehicle and I attempted to keep exposure long and brightness low to focus on the beam pattern and not blowing out the image. Taken on iPhone 11 Pro

In this photo is the DD SS3 Pro. Again, this is before adjusting them lower so keep that in mind. This wall 100+ feet away too. Photo taken on iPhone 11 Pro

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited
48 Posts
Thank you for the excellent information! Were you able to mount the DD SS3's where the OEM fog lamps go or did you mount them else where? I would prefer to be able to swap out the OEM's for a quality lamp that fits the same space on the frame.

NEVER MIND! I went to the DD website and found EXACTLY what I've been looking for! YEAH! I can't thank you enough!

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring stock.... for meow.
24 Posts
Thank you for the excellent information! Were you able to mount the DD SS3's where the OEM fog lamps go or did you mount them else where? I would prefer to be able to swap out the OEM's for a quality lamp that fits the same space on the frame.

NEVER MIND! I went to the DD website and found EXACTLY what I've been looking for! YEAH! I can't thank you enough!
DD now has an Ascent specific kit, however it comes with the round bezel like the Outback kit. I emailed them this morning regarding the round bezel fitment and suggested they offer the standard bezel instead. I still have to order a set of the standard bezels for mine.

They fit in exactly the same spot, not additional mounting or anything. As long as the kit comes with the harness to plug into you factory harness then you’re all set. The only hard part is tightening the mounting/adjustment bolt on the outboard side of each fog light.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts