Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
The article is misleading. First thing is taking over control of the semi-truck; this has nothing to do with a fob. Instead it has to do with on-board WiFi. Second thing is they are mixing copying codes with amplification; copying codes is possible on older vehicles, but not on the Ascent which has rolling codes. Amplification is possible, but the vehicle must be visible in order for the thief to know you have the car. So no issue at home if you have a garage. But could be an issue in an open parking lot at a small standalone business, such as a restaurant with the cars parked just outside.

·
Registered
61 Posts
This isn't a new problem presented by keyless entry and a lot of automakers have already shown concepts that are moving towards biometrics. Hyundai has already said that the 2019 Santa Fe will be coming with a fingerprint scanner.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
814 Posts
Actually, Subaru has already addressed this - by holding down the fob lock button while pressing the unlock button twice, your fob is shut off. You will get 4 fob LED flashes to confirm. I'm spending 2+ months in hotels now and do this every time I park.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Actually, Subaru has already addressed this - by holding down the fob lock button while pressing the unlock button twice, your fob is shut off. You will get 4 fob LED flashes to confirm. I'm spending 2+ months in hotels now and do this every time I park.
Cool. How do you re-activate the fob?

Never mind, I found it in the Ascent Owners Manual on Page 130. Just press any button on the fob. Thanks!

·
Registered
86 Posts
That's great for sketchy situations but isn't a great solution for every day just hanging my coat up
The whole point of the push button start etc is that I don't have to fish in my pocket for the remote

1 - 7 of 7 Posts