Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Interestingly, I took a road trip in mid-feb and carefully watched for hood movement. At variable freeway speeds of up to 85MPH, I saw nothing. Not a single wobble. However, just last Sunday I went up to the mountains and experienced the hood movement for the first time. This was at a lower than expected speed of 55MPH, but there was considerably more crosswinds during that trip. So, yeah, it can happen whenever. I haven't seen it since. I am not that concerned.

·
Registered
918 Posts
If you hit the right resonant frequency with a combination of speed and wind it does vibrate.

I have seen it on my hood as well. As mentioned it's a lighter weight aluminum hood. It is built to flex so no worries, though it does make you feel uneasy when you first see it!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes, my husband was just complaining about this yesterday. We were under a wind advisory, it only seems to happen when on the expressway in a high wind situation.

When it first happened a few months ago, he stopped and checked the hood to make sure it was shut.

·
Registered
111 Posts
It a common thing, especially since the hood has the air ducts for the intercooler, which means a lot of air is being pushed into the underside of the hood. I had the same issue with my Forester XT, adjusted the bump stops a bit, and all was good!

·
Registered
965 Posts
If you hit the right resonant frequency with a combination of speed and wind it does vibrate.

I have seen it on my hood as well. As mentioned it's a lighter weight aluminum hood. It is built to flex so no worries, though it does make you feel uneasy when you first see it!
Just in case anyone wonders about how resonant frequency with wind can really affect things ...

Galloping Gertie

·
Registered
918 Posts
Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
978 Posts
The other thing all the modern cars have carefully crafted air flow through the engine bay. Add the light hood and some good winds and no doubt there are all sorts of crazy pressure changes going on under the hood flexing it and possibly moving it around if it has a little play on the bump stops.

I can’t recal what vehicle I saw recently but the article was a air flow map of the front end through the engine compartment and it was pretty impressive. It shouldn’t be a surprise really given light aircraft have been routing cowl air through intentional paths for decades. But it seems like only in the last 10 yrs or so the Automotive design has really started looking at air flow through the engine compartment.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I experienced this too, and also posted a thread on it. Was concerned when I first noticed it. Had to pull over to make sure the hood was latched on correctly, and it was. I haven't adjusted the bumper stops yet to see if that fixes anything.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
I experienced this too, and also posted a thread on it. Was concerned when I first noticed it. Had to pull over to make sure the hood was latched on correctly, and it was. I haven't adjusted the bumper stops yet to see if that fixes anything.
The hood ripple caused by the ram air scoop will not be fixed by adjusting the bump stops. The ripple is actually mid-hood, but, because of the height, length and curvature of the hood, it seems like it's the whole thing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Never noticed this in our Limited but we’ve had a loaner Premium for about a week and WOW the hood really does move around! Noticed it most on a 65mph 2 lane highway, crosswind coming off of trucks going the opposite direction so 130mph or so of “wind wall” all at once. I actually stopped after the 2nd one to make sure the hood was latched; it was.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Had same issue

High winds this weekend and hood started to "flop". Now that I've seen posts on how to maybe fix, I'm going to take to dealer to have adjustments. Hopefully, this will not be an issue when we take it across KS this spring (lots of high winds across I-70) to the mountains in CO.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does someone had observed the same thing ?
It’s not actually flopping! This has been bothering me for months and I finally figured it out.

The illusion is that the hood is flopping. The reality is that it’s pressing inward. The high winds are enough to cause the hood to depress into itself. It’s a pretty flimsy hood if you look at it. Likely due to the size/weight. It appears hollow and that seems to give it the wiggle room to do this.

What it means for the paint on the hood over time... beats me!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts