Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is our fifth Subie - having owned 4 OBs - all Limited trims. I’ve always found the quality of carpeting to be decent quality in our OBs. Surprisingly, the carpet in our Ascent Touring appears to be of low quality. After approx 2000 miles so far the carpeting has already begun to look worn along the edges. It also appears to be very thin with a loose knit finish in the carpeting.

Anyone else find the same low level carpeting in their Ascent? BTW- overall - we absolutely love our new wheels!

·
Registered
134 Posts
This is our fifth Subie - having owned 4 OBs - all Limited trims. I’ve always found the quality of carpeting to be decent quality in our OBs. Surprisingly, the carpet in our Ascent Touring appears to be of low quality. After approx 2000 miles so far the carpeting has already begun to look worn along the edges. It also appears to be very thin with a loose knit finish in the carpeting.

Anyone else find the same low level carpeting in their Ascent? BTW- overall - we absolutely love our new wheels!
Hmm. I haven't noticed that. I have over 1000 miles. I was just looking at them yesterday while vacuuming. Maybe because I have the floor covers? They aren't wearing around them yet.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
I'm at 3,034 miles, and I haven't noticed that yet. In the next couple of days, I will be going over it thoroughly (to remove a few pounds of beach sand from my latest off-road adventure) and I will let you know if my opinion has changed.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I will say the carpeted floor mats are are sub-par. I like a floor mat to have some weight to it. Makes vacuuming and steam cleaning a lot easier when they are heavier and thicker...plus they just look better.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
While shopping for the Ascent, that was one of the first items my wife noticed. It didn't matter to me since we going to cover the floor with liners throughout.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It's really just FELT. I cannot believe how cheap it looks in my Touring. Amazing, really when you consider how nice everything else is.

My only real complaint though at 9600 miles. No service issues. Thought the carpet mats were decent. Look nice. Haven't put in the Factory all weather in. Wish i would have waited and used those dollars to just buy the Weather Tech's. They cover more of the cheap carpet!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
My '04 Toyota Sienna had real thick VERY LIGHT GREY plush carpet mats (in addition to a nice plush OEM carpet on the XLE trim). I power-scrubbed and powerwashed the heck out of those mats for 14 years and (with Lestoil and industrial cleaners) they always came back to look just about perfect. They were amazing!

The flooring on the Touring looks like what I would consider the underlayment. I'd love to find a company (like WeatherTech) who makes a strong plush carpet mat for the car. That would complete the interior for me. As it is, the floor seems to have come out of a basic utility vehicle. A plush carpet with a good rubber backing would also quiet down some of the engine and road noise in the passenger compartment.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
It's the same material as in my 2010 Forester. That has proven to be very delicate and it wears poorly. It cannot stand up to normal abrasion or exposure to salt-laden water from winter weather which will destroy it. It's about the worst material I've ever seen in a vehicle for carpeting. Other than cost-cutting, it's mind-boggling why Subaru would ever use such poor material to perform such a major purpose in their interiors, especially when their other interior coverings are quite good.

My advice is to always keep as much of it as possible covered, especially in the winter. Use the WeatherTech liners. What you can't cover, use 303 Fabric Guard to provide protection. When winter ends, I'm going to look for laser-cut, high-quality floor mats for the other three seasons. The cheap floor mats you get with the Ascent are not much better than the carpet.

Subaru carpeting is definitely a low point in their interior finishes.

·
Registered
646 Posts
It's the same material as in my 2010 Forester. That has proven to be very delicate and it wears poorly. It cannot stand up to normal abrasion or exposure to salt-laden water from winter weather which will destroy it. It's about the worst material I've ever seen in a vehicle for carpeting. Other than cost-cutting, it's mind-boggling why Subaru would ever use such poor material to perform such a major purpose in their interiors, especially when their other interior coverings are quite good.

My advice is to always keep as much of it as possible covered, especially in the winter. Use the WeatherTech liners. What you can't cover, use 303 Fabric Guard to provide protection. When winter ends, I'm going to look for laser-cut, high-quality floor mats for the other three seasons. The cheap floor mats you get with the Ascent are not much better than the carpet.

Subaru carpeting is definitely a low point in their interior finishes.
It appears to be of the same thickness and quality of a cheap pool table felt. Do the Weather Tech liners have a lip that covers the sill area that is carpeted?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I do think they have a cheaper appearance. after hauling the dogs around for 2 days and camping in the car with them it does clean easier than any other carpet I’ve dealt with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.