Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,162 Posts
Flat towing requires both the front hitch bars on the target vehicle as well as the proper hookups to make the brakes functional on the same. In almost every state or provence, you must have functional brakes on the towed load above 3000 lbs legally. And Subaru requires them for anything north of 1000 lbs being towed. IE, you need the modifications to the XJ to make the brakes work when brakes are applied on the Ascent.

·
Super Moderator
4,162 Posts
Obviously, tongue weight is a non issue and your towed load is under 5K so I don't personally see an issue with the job from that perspective. The challenge remains controlling brakes on the XJ, which as an older vehicle might be "fun". You might post in our VerticalScope sister forum Jeep Garage in the XJ section to see if someone has outfitted an XJ for this need. I'm a moderator at that site, but I don't know XJ at all.

·
Super Moderator
4,162 Posts
I saw your post at JG...hopefully there will be some helpful responses there, even though there's not a lot of traffic in the older vehicle discussion areas. Worth a try!!

Reactions: ai2160
1 - 3 of 3 Posts