Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I would like to flat tow my Cherokee XJ behind the Ascent. I have two questions

1) Is anybody else using Ascent to flat tow? If you are, do you have any tips/dos/don'ts that you would like to share?
2) What is the best way to brake the toad itself without it pushing the Ascent to a stop?

Cheers!
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Sky Land vehicle

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,251 Posts
Flat towing requires both the front hitch bars on the target vehicle as well as the proper hookups to make the brakes functional on the same. In almost every state or provence, you must have functional brakes on the towed load above 3000 lbs legally. And Subaru requires them for anything north of 1000 lbs being towed. IE, you need the modifications to the XJ to make the brakes work when brakes are applied on the Ascent.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Flat towing requires both the front hitch bars on the target vehicle as well as the proper hookups to make the brakes functional on the same. In almost every state or provence, you must have functional brakes on the towed load above 3000 lbs legally. And Subaru requires them for anything north of 1000 lbs being towed. IE, you need the modifications to the XJ to make the brakes work when brakes are applied on the Ascent.
You are right about the legal requirements. Here in CA it is only 1500. I was asking as if it is an option. It is not and I don't know why I asked :)

Coming to the vehicles themselves, are there other problems given there won't be any weight on the hitch and the fact that the Cherokee weights ~4200 lb?

Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
4,251 Posts
Obviously, tongue weight is a non issue and your towed load is under 5K so I don't personally see an issue with the job from that perspective. The challenge remains controlling brakes on the XJ, which as an older vehicle might be "fun". You might post in our VerticalScope sister forum Jeep Garage in the XJ section to see if someone has outfitted an XJ for this need. I'm a moderator at that site, but I don't know XJ at all.

·
Super Moderator
4,251 Posts
I saw your post at JG...hopefully there will be some helpful responses there, even though there's not a lot of traffic in the older vehicle discussion areas. Worth a try!!

Reactions: ai2160

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,205 Posts
Once you get the toad braking figured out you'll also need to get the tow bar level. With your Cherokee so high you'll need some way of raising the ball a lot or lowering the toad end.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts