Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a flat tire on my week old Ascent, currently tire is on plug. Any advice or options, please chime in.

·
Super Moderator
2,708 Posts
At least you shouldn’t have much wear on the tire at a week old. You can get away with just replacing the one tire if you need to. After you put some miles on it you’d end up having to get a set of 4. Might be worth the investment now IMHO

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,590 Posts
"Stuff happens". Since you mentioned a plug, that says debris punctured the tread. Not a big deal, other than the hassle of getting it fixed, and that fix is permanent. No worries. The previous poster is correct that farther on in tread life, if you have to replace a tire, you may be saddled with replacing all four because AWD/4WD vehicles require every tire to be the same diameter and mid-level wear is often enough to cause a potential problem when compared with a new tire diameter.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
What does “currently tire is on plug” mean?

If the tire is not any good then replace it. Unless you drove thousands of miles in your first week then there is not enough wear in the other three tires to matter.

If the tire got a patch done properly then it should be fine. I would not worry about it.

If your tire got a plug. I might be concerned.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What I meant, went to pep boys and my tire was already out, so the mechanic just put a plug and inflated the tire.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Discount tire will pro-rate the tire value if you have their road hazard warranty (even if you did not purchase the tire there). The warranty for all four OEM comes to just over $100. https://www.discounttire.com/customer-service/certificates. A new tire replacement without any pro-rated credit is about $200 each. A plug / patch combination repair should work fine. I suggest you purchase the road hazard as described above and live with the patch for now. By the way in regard to Jim's post above (which I agree with), I checked with Discount Tire and they no longer shave new tires to match the existing.

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/how-long-can-you-drive-on-a-plugged-or-patched-tire

·
Registered
232 Posts
What I meant, went to pep boys and my tire was already out, so the mechanic just put a plug and inflated the tire.
I have had many flats repaired that way - which seems to be the most common way. You are all set. It is meant to be a permanent repair. Nothing more for you to do :) Enjoy your new Ascent * safe travels!

PS For future reference, Discount Tire, if you have them in your area, will repair your repairable tires (tread puncture as opposed to sidewall) for FREE! :)

·
Registered
526 Posts
Agreed with @Cactus99 - the plug should be fine, if done correctly. I've plugged numerous tires due to nails on the road without any issues in the future.

Nifty to have some laying around the garage, or even in the car for emergency situations.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Agreed with @Cactus99 - the plug should be fine, if done correctly. I've plugged numerous tires due to nails on the road without any issues in the future.

Nifty to have some laying around the garage, or even in the car for emergency situations.

Same here. I have a full-on tire patch kit in the little compartment in the back along with a digital air compressor just in case.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts