Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Premium
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday morning I took my two week old 2021 Ascent Premium (18" rims) to get coffee for my wife. I actually looked at the tire pressure display when I left, with all tires at 36psi. Drove less than a mile, then on the return the tire pressure warning went off for the rear left tire. I thought is was a sensor issue, but looked while at stop light and the tire was low, but not flat. I finished driving home a few blocks and then it was completely flat.

Called the dealer half a mile away asking what to do. She said her manager would call, which took 40 minutes. Manager recommend calling roadside assistance to put on spare, which I did online, then I would get priority service. Took about 30 minutes to arrive in a Civic. The assistant said this is the first Ascent he's assisted that had a normal problem and I should stick with Honda or Toyota. A lady 6 minutes from me returned her 2021 after 4 dead battery calls. Not a good feeling.

At the dealer, the service greeter said it would be taken care of. I waited over an hour and had to go back to the service desk twice for them to say it was a nail hole in tread with sidewall damage and not under warranty. The roadside assistant to 20 seconds to determine that. Quoted $206 for replacement and I said it was $164 installed for the same tire at Discount tire. He didn't offer any price match or anything and I wasn't in the mood to give them anymore of my money (car purchase was dragged out about an hour longer than they were saying too).

I hadn't had a flat in about 20 years. The Ascent still has more that a half of the original tank of gas. At least they won't have to shave the new tire to match the others. Maybe it's a 70 mile warranty, not 70k?

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
105 Posts
One thing I learned very early about factory-installed tires is that they do NOT come with a mileage warranty of any kind. Unless a specific tire-protection plan (mentioned above) was purchased, you will just need to chalk this up to potential unexpected cost of car ownership and usage.

In fact, my 2014 Forester XT (very fun to drive) had Bridgestone Dueler tires installed from the factory. They might have been the WORST tires I have ever owned. They lasted about 18,500 miles before I needed a new set. That's when I found out that the factory-installed tires are not covered by any mileage or tread warranty. Yes, my driving behavior contributed, but my Yokohamas I installed later lasted much longer (same car, same driver).

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
Those tires have no 70,000 mile warranty. They're not even wear rated at anything near that amount of miles. Flats happen.

I break 72,000 miles in a week or so. Planning some more off roading on the ast coast for the next two months, then off to Utah in May (I live in NY) for another epic adventure.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,197 Posts
Sidewall damage is always going to be a tire replacement.

For some reason, EVERY time I or my wife have new tires, we'll pick up a nail or screw in short order. Wife's 21 year old Lexus had 4 sets of tires in is life, four flats in the first month on new tires. My 10 year old Mazda, two sets of tires in it's life, two flats on new tires. Brand new Ascent with less than 1000 miles picked up a screw in the right rear tread. Didn't lose air, but new tires are magnets for road junk.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Premium
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you purchase some sort of tire protection plan? If not, why are you expecting tires to be covered by the warranty?
No, they really didn't push any warranties at all - I think the finance person just wanted to get home an hour after dealer closing hour. So it's a case of bad luck, and I realize I have been self insuring for the last 20 years and I'm still way ahead in that regards. But I have a bad feeling based on the dealer's service/price (like $899+tax for hitch installed) and the roadside assistance comments.
I was joking about the tire warranty.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
One thing I learned very early about factory-installed tires is that they do NOT come with a mileage warranty of any kind. Unless a specific tire-protection plan (mentioned above) was purchased, you will just need to chalk this up to potential unexpected cost of car ownership and usage.

In fact, my 2014 Forester XT (very fun to drive) had Bridgestone Dueler tires installed from the factory. They might have been the WORST tires I have ever owned. They lasted about 18,500 miles before I needed a new set. That's when I found out that the factory-installed tires are not covered by any mileage or tread warranty. Yes, my driving behavior contributed, but my Yokohamas I installed later lasted much longer (same car, same driver).
Actually, I was able to purchase a road hazard warranty on the OEM from Discount tire. You are correct the OEM do not come with any mileage warranty.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Sidewall damage is always going to be a tire replacement.

For some reason, EVERY time I or my wife have new tires, we'll pick up a nail or screw in short order. Wife's 21 year old Lexus had 4 sets of tires in is life, four flats in the first month on new tires. My 10 year old Mazda, two sets of tires in it's life, two flats on new tires. Brand new Ascent with less than 1000 miles picked up a screw in the right rear tread. Didn't lose air, but new tires are magnets for road junk.
road hazard warranty is a good thing. A good tire is very expensive these days and one replacement covers the cost for the four warranties.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Yesterday morning I took my two week old 2021 Ascent Premium (18" rims) to get coffee for my wife. I actually looked at the tire pressure display when I left, with all tires at 36psi. Drove less than a mile, then on the return the tire pressure warning went off for the rear left tire. I thought is was a sensor issue, but looked while at stop light and the tire was low, but not flat. I finished driving home a few blocks and then it was completely flat.

Called the dealer half a mile away asking what to do. She said her manager would call, which took 40 minutes. Manager recommend calling roadside assistance to put on spare, which I did online, then I would get priority service. Took about 30 minutes to arrive in a Civic. The assistant said this is the first Ascent he's assisted that had a normal problem and I should stick with Honda or Toyota. A lady 6 minutes from me returned her 2021 after 4 dead battery calls. Not a good feeling.

At the dealer, the service greeter said it would be taken care of. I waited over an hour and had to go back to the service desk twice for them to say it was a nail hole in tread with sidewall damage and not under warranty. The roadside assistant to 20 seconds to determine that. Quoted $206 for replacement and I said it was $164 installed for the same tire at Discount tire. He didn't offer any price match or anything and I wasn't in the mood to give them anymore of my money (car purchase was dragged out about an hour longer than they were saying too).

I hadn't had a flat in about 20 years. The Ascent still has more that a half of the original tank of gas. At least they won't have to shave the new tire to match the others. Maybe it's a 70 mile warranty, not 70k?
There certainly is a practical choice to either changing the tire yourself versus calling a tire service. That of course does not change with the vehicle model. I suggest re-evaluating the use of that dealer.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Premium
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
road hazard warranty is a good thing. A good tire is very expensive these days and one replacement covers the cost for the four warranties.
But the OEM tires aren't exactly great, lifetime wise. Also, if I was at 20k miles, do I really want 1 replacement, of this tire?

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
But the OEM tires aren't exactly great, lifetime wise. Also, if I was at 20k miles, do I really want 1 replacement, of this tire?
like any "insurance" it is a risk assessment. Denver area roads are getting worse by the day (but we have more and more bike lanes - go figure). The road hazard saved the wallet for my Ascent OEM replacement and my son's Impreza OEM replacement tires. I recently replaced my OEM tires with Falken Wildpeak AT and purchased the warranty as well. Those of course have a good mileage warranty. The road hazard on those tires were more expensive than for the cheaper tires of course.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent
57 Posts
Big Dog, feel bad for you. You got a flat, but in that process you also learned many things. From the actual experience to great advice here on the forums and I would like to thank you for sharing your life moments... enjoyed the read with my coffee!

Reactions: Big Dog

·
Registered
275 Posts
Crosstrek 2 screw/nail/bolts. 1 screw that I heard go in but it didn’t go thru. I was able to back it out. Ascent, sidewall screw that rendered the tire totaled. Purchased one replacement. At 20k tires, were considered yellow at the last inspection, chances were it would fail the next inspection. Replaced them last week with Michelin’s. We will see if changing tires matter. I’ve had other vehicles and I don’t see any difference in the rate our Subarus collect debris. What I don’t like is when I bring them in and feel it’s a crap shoot if it will be replaced, repaired, or four new tires. I didn’t get that with my other 4WD vehicles.

·
Registered
236 Posts
No, they really didn't push any warranties at all - I think the finance person just wanted to get home an hour after dealer closing hour. So it's a case of bad luck, and I realize I have been self insuring for the last 20 years and I'm still way ahead in that regards. But I have a bad feeling based on the dealer's service/price (like $899+tax for hitch installed) and the roadside assistance comments.
I was joking about the tire warranty.
Yeah, definitely some bad luck. At least it wasn't like cracked windshield or something which would have been much more painful!

Dealer prices/service is a big hit/miss so maybe look into working with another dealer's service department or look elsewhere for non-warranty type stuff.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,215 Posts
You'd be buying four at that point...the maximum diameter difference is 2/32 per Subaru's specifications.

That said, you would have been paying for a new tire no matter what brand or model tire you had on your vehicle with physical damage like that unless you specifically bought road hazard coverage for your tires. That kind of damage is not fixable. I do agree, however, that your dealer could have thrown you a bone and at least only charged market rate for the replacements.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sorry to hear that happened to you...I would recommend to contact SOA and ask if they might be open to do a goodwill repair and assist here...especially considering that the car is so new...may be you are lucky...may be not...
and perhaps consider a diff dealer...also no shaving needed to my knowledge if new tire is within 2/32nd of the others...

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Premium
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, definitely some bad luck. At least it wasn't like cracked windshield or something which would have been much more painful!

Dealer prices/service is a big hit/miss so maybe look into working with another dealer's service department or look elsewhere for non-warranty type stuff.
Yeah, in the big picture it's not so bad. Normally I'd expect a mystery door ding by this time that is harder to fix. Also, the tires are better matched the sooner you blow them.

The Discount Tire guys thought it was a great car, so that was uplifting. Also said I didn't need a rotation yet :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Sorry to hear about your tire Big Dog. But misery loves company. For me, it was 400 miles on the Ascent when I found a small metal rod (part of a coat hanger?) in one of the tires. Too close to the edge so it could not be repaired. I had to buy a new tire. About 6 months later found screw in another tire, but luckily that was repairable.

Rods and screws are one thing, back when we still had the Tribeca, my wife picked up a key in one of her tires! A house key or what was left of it! Go figure.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
I didn't run the stock tires long enough to have problems with them (2,403 miles, then onto all terrains), but, I found two screws (two different times) in my Kumho Road Venture AT51 all terrains. I now have a leak in my BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO2 Light Truck tires - going to get that looked at today. 😕

Those all terrains I ran/run, are really beefy tires with a lot of rubber and very thick belt layer and tread, and yet, while crazy off roading has done nothing to them (well, popped a bead on one that needed to be cleaned and re-seated), a couple drywall screws made the Kumhos go flat, and, I'll soon find out why the KO2s are leaking.

I'd definitely expect no less from the stock tires (or any street tire), which have much thinner walls and tread and belts. My AT51's were virtually brand new when the first screw caused it to leak.

·
Registered
3 Posts
OK. So here’s the deal. The nail caused the yire to leak. The driver caused the sidewall damage by driving it with low pressure or no pressure. A nail repair in the tread area is not expensive and pretty much reliable if done correctly. It’s not the cars fault. Get it!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts