Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
What is the meaning of life?

oh, sorry, you meant about the Ascent. Well in that case, please explain the electrical power connections at the rear hatch that cause the power drain when the vehicle is off but the hatch is open. This seems to be a point of annoyance for many. What is the thinking on this from the designers and what would you suggest as a workaround for those who wish to keep the hatch open for longer periods of time while the vehicle is not running?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Thank you for accepting me into your forum, I am open to any and all questions and would love to help solve problems. If I can not, I will gladly offer recommendations on ways to seek out the resolution you need.
Here is another line of inquiry: As an Ascent tech, what would you like to see different in the next version of the Ascent (mechanics and features)?

·
Super Moderator
6,394 Posts
Here is another line of inquiry: As an Ascent tech, what would you like to see different in the next version of the Ascent (mechanics and features)?
He's more than just an Ascent tech, but that story isn't mine to tell.

@FLSubieTech welcome to the forums, and thank you for your contributions!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
He's more than just an Ascent tech, but that story isn't mine to tell.

@FLSubieTech welcome to the forums, and thank you for your contributions!
Regardless, It is nice to know Subaru is listening (at any level). It only makes the partnership stronger and the product better. The more channels open to the feedback loop the greater the chance of profits, happy owners and meaningful innovation.

·
Super Moderator
6,394 Posts
The more channels open to the feedback loop the greater the chance of profits, happy owners and meaningful innovation.
You all would be utterly floored at how many things Subaru of America does that don't revolve around profits, such as their ongoing transparency about parts suppliers quality issues, them not pushing the tech envelope without thorough testing (eg: higher levels of autonomy) and a ridiculous amount of focus on charity and the environment.

And, their CEO Tom is as nice of a guy and as down to earth in real life in person, as at the events where he's on stage.

LOL true story, I wanted to get a pic with him when my friends and I visited Camden, but, after over a half hour of chatting with him - well, from the beginning really, when he made sure we all knew his name is "Tom" (not Mr. Doll), he was just another cool guy who really likes Subaru who I was having a great conversation with. So, I totally forgot.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is the meaning of life?

oh, sorry, you meant about the Ascent. Well in that case, please explain the electrical power connections at the rear hatch that cause the power drain when the vehicle is off but the hatch is open. This seems to be a point of annoyance for many. What is the thinking on this from the designers and what would you suggest as a workaround for those who wish to keep the hatch open for longer periods of time while the vehicle is not running?
First let me say,that only until joining this forum last night, did hear of this power drain. Second, I have searched every TSB listed for Ascent and TECH Tips since 2017, and there are no associated hits for issues with power drain specific to Ascent and the rear lift gate and power outlets. I will contact Subaru Technical Assistance and our Field Service Engineer to scan for nationwide cases and cause and correction for this concern. I will also perform a live test on one of our stock units to measure the drain and determine what the cause is. I will let you know as soon as I can find an answer to help resolve this issue.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
You all would be utterly floored at how many things Subaru of America does that don't revolve around profits, such as their ongoing transparency about parts suppliers quality issues, them not pushing the tech envelope without thorough testing (eg: higher levels of autonomy) and a ridiculous amount of focus on charity and the environment.

And, their CEO Tom is as nice of a guy and as down to earth in real life in person, as at the events where he's on stage.

LOL true story, I wanted to get a pic with him when my friends and I visited Camden, but, after over a half hour of chatting with him - well, from the beginning really, when he made sure we all knew his name is "Tom" (not Mr. Doll), he was just another cool guy who really likes Subaru who I was having a great conversation with. So, I totally forgot.
The mission and culture are very important. All good to know Robert.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
First let me say,that only until joining this forum last night, did hear of this power drain. Second, I have searched every TSB listed for Ascent and TECH Tips since 2017, and there are no associated hits for issues with power drain specific to Ascent and the rear lift gate and power outlets. I will contact Subaru Technical Assistance and our Field Service Engineer to scan for nationwide cases and cause and correction for this concern. I will also perform a live test on one of our stock units to measure the drain and determine what the cause is. I will let you know as soon as I can find an answer to help resolve this issue.
That is great news (even though I currently do not have a dog in the family). Apparently it is of greatest concern to dog show enthusiast and the Barkley family. Since half of Subie owners have dogs I figured Subaru would want to take a look at it. Of course no one, even us campers that do not have dogs want to get stranded by an open hatch draining power.

I'm sure once the concerns are fully addressed another Carmichael Lynch episode will be launched.

Thanks for the interest and support!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have seen the Subaru models change exponentially in the last 4 years. From the new design Forester and Cross Trek and the Ascent that has really taken Subaru to a whole new level, and the 2020 Outback's and Legacy. To me eyesight is the greatest innovation Subaru has made since symmetrical all wheel drive. The driver Focus is a great asset along with lane keep assist and cross traffic but ultimately, to me I liked Subaru because they were basic, they were fun to drive and they were dependable and they did not have allot of distractions that took away from enjoying the driving experience. But people want their wifi and bluetooth and videos for the kids or games, and maps to show them the way and safety items to help assist us in keeping our greatest cargo safe, our families. I feel that we will continue to grow with more options that make our commute engaging and reliable and of course safe. As for me, I would like to see a retro Brat that is back to basic with no frills and with a dog beside me and the windows down, I will seek out the next hill to climb and pull over in Badlands in South Dakota and lay in the bed and look up at all those stars and know that my Subaru will take me where ever I want to go,all I have to do is drive.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
If you have not had a chance yet, I suggest you read this thread about draining the battery. Post #8 has some thoughts on why it may be occurring. Note that on this forum, this was already a recognized issue way back in August of 2018, which is why it is very important for Subaru to have someone scanning this forum for these issues that for some reason are unknown to Subaru. I wonder why this issue had not percolated up to the regional level. If you search the term "battery" you will notice a very large number of unique threads related to battery drain. Some are tangential to this issue but many are not. Many of the threads were initiated in 2018. This one post from six months ago noted the larger power draw of the tailgate. This response of the parasitic draw was interesting. In one response Robert noted this from the manual. Jason who apparently works at a dealership discussing these issues has his own theories as well. Some testing that was done.

This brings me back to the larger challenge of Subaru capturing this data of both owners' concerns/experiences as well as owners' research into an issue. Clearly the owners on this forum have known about this issue for over one year and made this public on the forum as well as noted the issue to many dealerships yet it never found its way to be known to the Subaru Tech Assistance group or any TSB generated. Subaru should ask, why this did not make its way up to those who should and could work on the issue. What reconfiguration of communication does Subaru need to make in order to move this information in a timely manner to those whose job it is to address these issues? This is the larger issue. The acute issue of course involves understanding and solving the battery drain problem with all due haste, so owners are no longer chasing our tails.

I do not want to read about any owner being accidentally electrocuted from improperly disconnecting the auto battery when trying to avoid a camping trip battery drain.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you have not had a chance yet, I suggest you read this thread about draining the battery. Post #8 has some thoughts on why it may be occurring. Note that on this forum, this was already a recognized issue way back in August of 2018, which is why it is very important for Subaru to have someone scanning this forum for these issues that for some reason are unknown to Subaru. I wonder why this issue had not percolated up to the regional level. If you search the term "battery" you will notice a very large number of unique threads related to battery drain. Some are tangential to this issue but many are not. Many of the threads were initiated in 2018. This one post from six months ago noted the larger power draw of the tailgate. This response of the parasitic draw was interesting. In one response Robert noted this from the manual. Jason who apparently works at a dealership discussing these issues has his own theories as well. Some testing that was done.

This brings me back to the larger challenge of Subaru capturing this data of both owners' concerns/experiences as well as owners' research into an issue. Clearly the owners on this forum have known about this issue for over one year and made this public on the forum as well as noted the issue to many dealerships yet it never found its way to be known to the Subaru Tech Assistance group or any TSB generated. Subaru should ask, why this did not make its way up to those who should and could work on the issue. What reconfiguration of communication does Subaru need to make in order to move this information in a timely manner to those whose job it is to address these issues? This is the larger issue. The acute issue of course involves understanding and solving the battery drain problem with all due haste, so owners are no longer chasing our tails.

I do not want to read about any owner being accidentally electrocuted from improperly disconnecting the auto battery when trying to avoid a camping trip battery drain.
I have read the threads and have replied to that thread and hope to hear back from anyone who will try my suggestions and what their findings are for further diagnosis.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I wouldn't either as it would mean we'd have to rewrite the laws of physics or human physiology if they got electrocuted by 12V.
It is not the voltage but the amps that mostly are dangerous. Yes the voltage is not pushing with such great force but when someone is wearing jewelry or has a metal tool touch both terminals serious injury from explosion (hydrogen gas from a spark), serious electrical burns and yes even death depending on the individual's health can occur. It is not something to ignore.

·
Registered
466 Posts
To push hazardous current through the body requires much more that 12V. Hydrogen can cause an explosion and high current can cause heat, sparks and fire, all of which can be injurious, but that's not electrocution.

Someone getting injured by these means, though regrettable, would not require rewriting physical laws.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
To push hazardous current through the body requires much more that 12V. Hydrogen can cause an explosion and high current can cause heat, sparks and fire, all of which can be injurious, but that's not electrocution.

Someone getting injured by these means, though regrettable, would not require rewriting physical laws.
Electrocution is defined (and here) as death or severe injury. You are probably limiting your definition to death. Some dictionaries focus on death only. For the purposes of my post, I am clearly warning owners to be careful when disconnecting and connecting the battery. Frequently doing so during a camping trip (as in one scenario) so that it does not drain is no way to ultimately manage the issue. I do not want to see anyone receive a severe burn from their wedding ring etc. I highly doubt that Subaru had this management strategy in mind or would now advocate for it.

Now that we have that distinction cleared up, my hope is that owners find another way to manage their battery drain concerns.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts