Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

I'm a new member here. Hello!

I recently bought a Yakima Ridgeback 4-bike hitch rack. At the beginning of the instructions, it says "DO NOT USE" if the distance from the center of the pinhole to the face of the hitch receiver is less than 1 1/2 inches. On the second page it says "no fit" in this case.

On my Ascent, I measure this as 1 3/8 inches. But the thing fits fine, and I can't see any issues here. It's snug & stable. I don't see how a difference of 1/8" is going to make a difference in its strength or stability, given how it fits in there. In fact it seems like it would be fine if it were even smaller. There's another 4-5" of material inside the receiver past the pin that you can't see in the picture below. So it seems like there's plenty of support in there. So I don't get it -- why the warnings?

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? It's my first time owning a vehicle with a hitch.

Thanks much!

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
36 Posts
Reviving this old thread. I’m looking at the Ridgeback and curious if you found your answer or had any problems using the rack. Thanks

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Greetings all,

I'm a new member here. Hello!

I recently bought a Yakima Ridgeback 4-bike hitch rack. At the beginning of the instructions, it says "DO NOT USE" if the distance from the center of the pinhole to the face of the hitch receiver is less than 1 1/2 inches. On the second page it says "no fit" in this case.

On my Ascent, I measure this as 1 3/8 inches. But the thing fits fine, and I can't see any issues here. It's snug & stable. I don't see how a difference of 1/8" is going to make a difference in its strength or stability, given how it fits in there. In fact it seems like it would be fine if it were even smaller. There's another 4-5" of material inside the receiver past the pin that you can't see in the picture below. So it seems like there's plenty of support in there. So I don't get it -- why the warnings?

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? It's my first time owning a vehicle with a hitch.

Thanks much!
Reviving this old thread. I’m looking at the Ridgeback and curious if you found your answer or had any problems using the rack. Thanks
I suspect this had to do with whether there was enough throat for rack stability. I have no doubts that the 1/8 " less will do no harm. There are probably more important variables kicking around such as how thick that throat and the type of metal.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I went through the same thing with the yakima fulltilt 5
Maybe the ridgeback is different but here is what I observed
In the end, the pin is not what's holding the rack on and in fact you can push it in to the point where the pin is 1.5" in yet still in the hole since the pin is smaller than the hole
driving around with it the unit doesn't move at all so the pin is there for peace of mind if you don't tighten the gripper enough

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.