Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took our first trip this weekend towing our 2018 Scamp 16’ with the Ascent. Huge improvement from the last two years of towing with our 2014 Outback 4cyl.
Dry weight is 1950lbs, probably about 2200 loaded for this trip. Average mileage over the course of the 325 mile trip was 19.2. About 1 mpg better then what the Outback would do plus power for days now. Every aspect was a joy to experience. Rock solid on the highway, tons of power to merge as needed. With the cruise set to 62 it was easy to forget there was a trailer back there.
I meant to take a shot of the rig all hooked up.....next time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi altidudewrench, found your comment today. I just installed a Tekonsha P3 on my Ascent today. I didn't know that the tow wiring harness was all there including the 7-way plug and the flat 4 pin plug. I have to return the wiring harness I made at etrailer.

Anyway, I also got myself a "new to me" Scamp 16. I want to know your experience with towing the Scamp. Does it sway? How was your experience going up and down the hill with the Ascent? What kind of hitch do you use? Do you use a 2" drop or 4" drop? I think the Scamp 16 suggest the lip of the coupler to be 21" from the ground. What is your settings? Any tips on towing the Scamp is greatly appreciated. I can't wait till the trailer is registered and book some more camping trips. Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
daihung
I actually sold the Scamp back in November and replaced it with an Intech Sol Horizon. When I did have the Scamp I towed it with a 6" drop hitch and a P3 brake controller. Our Scamp was a bit light on the hitch due to only having 1 propane tank so I would typically pack any items in front of the axle to ensure good hitch weight. Zero issues with sway and it towed very easily.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts