Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finished up a really bad year in a great way. Purchased a 2021 Ascent Touring the 31st of Dec. Started the new year on a positive note. It replaces a Hyundia Santa Fe, a pretty good car just to small. First impressions are good. Ride is smooth and confident, cabin is really quiet, power and handling good, much improvement over a Honda Pilot I previously owned and the Santa Fe. Looking forward to this summer, road trip planned from Az. to Colorado, Wyoming, Montana and then over to Oregon.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring
24 Posts
Welcome! I picked up my Touring just before Christmas. I have the same positive initial impressions as you, along with some negative ones -

-What is up with those useless cup holders? Really, Subaru?
-Not having a remote start button on the FOB is a huge miss on Subaru's part - especially on their highest trim level
-When driving around town in traffic - let's say 35 & under - it always seems like it needs to be in a different "gear"
-Why only heat part of the steering wheel??
-What do you mean the mirrors' position doesn't get saved in the memory?
-The light in the cargo area is even less useful than the cup holders. How do you make a miss that big?
-The "premium" sound system is really a "mediocre" sound system

I don't mean to give the impression that I don't love my Touring - I do! I think it is a great car with a really good ride. I have no buyer's remorse. I just think after driving it for a couple of weeks that Subaru missed the mark on a lot of small things.

·
Super Moderator
2,463 Posts
@CrewDog welcome and congrats on your upgrade. My previous SUV was also a Santa Fe, the 3-row flavor; I didn't like the way it drove one bit! Enjoy!

@JP1
-there's an insert for that
-buttons are so 2017. have you tried the starlink remote start?
-theres flappy paddle shifters for that. but yeah, a number of people have complained about the CVT programming.
-I've never been a fan of heated steering wheels, but mine's a premium so I don't have that problem. they always seem to come up to the exact temperature of warm pee!
-I can see how that would be annoying. my wife and I regularly have both fobs in the car so I doubt it would work properly for me even if my premium had that feature. i've in fact never seen a car's seat/mirror memory function properly. first world problems!
-Subaru just wanted you to have some little projects and upgrades to work on ;)
-ironically the un-upgraded sound system in my premium probably sounds better that some of the systems sold at a premium.

Anwyay, enjoy your Ascents!

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
629 Posts
Welcome!

Regarding the remote start and memory mirrors, GMC got it right on the Yukon.....MY2015 of all things.

Their recall feature recalls the mirrors in addition to steering wheel and seat position. This was one of the few things which I miss from the Yukon.

For remote start, I am with JP1. While the app is nice when you are out of FOB range, it is rather annoying to have to pull out your phone, unlock it, use the app, then enter your PIN. Good grief, let me just hold a button on the fob for 5 seconds. And the secondary FOB is not a good option. I'm not sure why Subaru couldn't get remote start with good range in the standard FOB, GMC seemed to get it right - that thing worked through stores and out into parking lots!

Too many services take the "easy" route and want you to use an app. Well, to be frank, I don't NEED or WANT another app. In the tech world we have app bloat and its getting ridiculous.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring
24 Posts
-there's an insert for that
-buttons are so 2017. have you tried the starlink remote start?
There is an insert that can make the center console cup holders bigger??

Why not both? But as far as Starlink, they can't get it to work on my vehicle. I have been working with Starlink/dealership since the day after I bought the car and they have yet to be able to get it to work. I just get an error message saying it is unavailable. Had it in the dealer just yesterday to make sure the module in the car wasn't bad (it isn't) and now it is back in the hands of Starlink IT to figure out what is going on.

@CrewDog - Sorry. Didn't mean to hijack your thread! :)

·
Registered
629 Posts
You want the center console cup holders BIGGER!?!?! As in diameter? Or depth?

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,183 Posts
Our 2005 Acura MDX's mirrors are tied to the memory seats. That's a 15 year old car that was first brought to market 20 years ago. This is such a basic standard practice in the industry that I can't believe Subaru missed it on the Ascent. They include it on the Forester, but not the Ascent. <scratching head>

I totally agree on the remote start. It's silly to do it through an app and, because of that, I never use the remote start capability. The fact that you'd have to pay $600-900 to have a factory remote start system installed, to replace the other factory remote start capability, and then carry a separate fob...c'mon.

We really enjoy our Ascent...but some of these things...really, Subaru? :ROFLMAO:

- Signed "Another First Time Subaru Owner"

·
Registered
629 Posts
I will say though, if adding the mirror recall and remote FOB start bring along auto start/stop, I'll gladly live in the past...LOL

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring
24 Posts
I will say though, if adding the mirror recall and remote FOB start bring along auto start/stop, I'll gladly live in the past...LOL
Definitely - No auto start/stop was a BIG part of me picking an Ascent.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring
24 Posts
You want the center console cup holders BIGGER!?!?! As in diameter? Or depth?
Bigger in diameter. They don't hold anything bigger than a small water bottle. I had a Forester loaner car over the weekend and the center console cupholders looked twice the size of the Ascent's.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Does the 2021 come with the insert? Because everyone complained about the 2019/2020 being too large, then Subaru released the insert to shrink the size.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I don't use the biometrics features, but it's still moot because the Pixel 4 does not have a finger print reader on it.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,907 Posts
As noted in the relevant thread in the "talk to Subaru" area, I generally agree with most of your observations, JP1.

Not having a remote start button on the FOB is a huge miss on Subaru's part - especially on their highest trim level
Every Subaru with push button start has remote start...on your smartphone. It's a lot more cost effective for them to deploy it that way and a 7 year subscription which includes much more than remote start, costs less than the add-on, fob based remote start solution. Unless your Subaru lives in an area that's devoid of ATT wireless signal (or live in Canada), it works very well. You even have the ability to adjust some HVAC features remotely, too. Fob based setups don't support that.

Reactions: Ascent19

·
Registered
633 Posts
Finished up a really bad year in a great way. Purchased a 2021 Ascent Touring the 31st of Dec. Started the new year on a positive note. It replaces a Hyundia Santa Fe, a pretty good car just to small. First impressions are good. Ride is smooth and confident, cabin is really quiet, power and handling good, much improvement over a Honda Pilot I previously owned and the Santa Fe. Looking forward to this summer, road trip planned from Az. to Colorado, Wyoming, Montana and then over to Oregon
Congrats. When you come to Oregon and Washington you will see a ton of Ascents around. 😂

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to all who responded. I agree with those that pointed out some issues they have with the Ascent. I really have not gotten to deep into it yet. Most of those noted are just a minor annoyance to me. What I really miss, and Hyundai really nailed, is the 360 degree view feature and the heads up display. The lack of the auto stop is a bonus, I had not really given that much thought, in fact had not even noticed it on the test drive. As for the quality of the audio system, my hearing is pretty much shot. 22 years flying in the Airforce took care of that, even with hearing aids they all pretty much suck.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,126 Posts
Thanks to all who responded. I agree with those that pointed out some issues they have with the Ascent. I really have not gotten to deep into it yet. Most of those noted are just a minor annoyance to me. What I really miss, and Hyundai really nailed, is the 360 degree view feature and the heads up display. The lack of the auto stop is a bonus, I had not really given that much thought, in fact had not even noticed it on the test drive. As for the quality of the audio system, my hearing is pretty much shot. 22 years flying in the Airforce took care of that, even with hearing aids they all pretty much suck.
Thanks for your service.

Hearing aids aren't known for their fidelity. Especially when the digital aids do frequency shifts to correct notch deficiencies.

I agree about the 360 view. The Telluride digital sideview mirrors popping into the tach or speedo on the dash works really well (top trim only I believe).

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring
24 Posts
Does the 2021 come with the insert? Because everyone complained about the 2019/2020 being too large, then Subaru released the insert to shrink the size.
Yep, it does (they actually charged $33.00 for it on the sticker). I think they must have overdone it the other way! LOL

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring
24 Posts
Every Subaru with push button start has remote start...on your smartphone. It's a lot more cost effective for them to deploy it that way and a 7 year subscription which includes much more than remote start, costs less than the add-on, fob based remote start solution. Unless your Subaru lives in an area that's devoid of ATT wireless signal (or live in Canada), it works very well. You even have the ability to adjust some HVAC features remotely, too. Fob based setups don't support that.
So far it hasn't worked at all for me. I have spent the last 2-weeks going back and forth between the dealer and Starlink with no luck. They are stumped. It was in the shop overnight so they could test the electronics in the vehicle - which all tested good.

Outside of that, believe our not, there are still many people without smart phones. Not just old people. My daughter is 35 and has a flip phone. So do both my sister and brother-in-law. My wife hates technology like that as well. While I don't hate it, it is far more convenient for me to just click a button on the FOB then to unlock my phone, go into an app and enter a PIN. There is no reason Subaru can't have both (as my Ram truck does).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.