Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all :smile:

Greetings from Pennsylvania!!
I never owned any Subaru not even driven one before. But, me and my wife really liked the Ascent...especially subaru's safety features and AWD system. Having said that I also never owned any AWD or 4WD vehicle before. We currently owned VW passat TDI which I need to return to the VW by September (buy back program). We have only one child, but going for this Ascent because to keep it for coming 10+ years.

As of now, we have only 2 options VW Atlas or Ascent. We both test drove the Atlas and liked it very much and obviously Atlas is more spacious than Ascent (at least on the paper and considering I didn't see the Ascent in any of the auto show :sad:), but the reason we are thinking about Ascent is the AWD and Eye sight. Oh also we like our Passat's Fender premium audio system but if I go with Fender in Atlas its probably around 47k + tax. Ascent has an option for 14 speaker HK premium audio.

We haven't pre-ordered yet, but going to test drive the turbo charged Forester to feel the engine power and how it is compared to Atlas. I know Ascent will be a much bigger than Forester, but I'm sure Turbo Forester is the closest option I have. Also, I can check out the premium audio as well.

Hoping to get some thoughts from the members in deciding our next vehicle.

P.S: I really appreciate if anyone can tell me which one is better in Subaru eyesight and VW radar safety features. I'm not finding any good videos on VW apart from German VW vehicles which are not available here and they are premium safety features (i think)

Thanks
PB

·
Registered
597 Posts
The Subaru eyesight system is top notch and I know a few people who have Outbacks who love the way the system works. I can't comment on the VW system as I don't know anyone who actually has the system.

I was in the same boat and debating between the Atlas and Ascent. I checked them out at the Baltimore Auto show and after my wife and I looked at both of them the Atlas was dropped off the list completely and the Ascent was the top choice.

Reasons:
1) Gas mileage is much better than the Atlas.
2) Size. The Atlas has a lot of head room which is nice but at the same time the dash seems much higher.
3) Reliability, I was looking at the top of the line Atlas (SEL Premium) so I could get ventilated front seats. This comes with the Digital Dashboard which is really neat but being on a VW website a lot of people are complaining of issues with it.
4) Seating, the Atlas has max seating for 7 as the back seat only holds 2 people but it will fit 2 Adults. The Ascent has seating for 3 (kids) or it can fit 2 Adults. At 5' 11" I could sit in the back of the Ascent for a short ride although my head was touching the roof. For the Atlas I could not find a SEL Premium with a 2nd row bench which means I would have had to custom order.

I put in another thread but the Auto show was a huge change for me as my wife and kids came along and we really looked at the cars.

After the show this is what we found to be the order for us.
1) Ascent
2) Explorer (this wasn't even on my list to start)
3) Traverse

We eliminated the Durango, Q7, CX-9, GLS, and Highlander in one day due to the car show.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

1. I agree, Gas mileage is a huge win over Atlas.

2. Since I haven't seen the Ascent and test drove the Atlas...I can't comment on the dash. But, yeah I heard about Boxer engine sits much lower than Inline or V engines and that makes a good visibility for the driver.

3. I was only going for the SEL trim (compromising the Fender audio), but Atlas will come with 6 year, 72000 mile power train warranty which is also a transferable is a good plus point. Also, I haven't heard anything about the Subaru Ascent warranty details.

4. We were actually going with bench seats either with Atlas or Ascent and when I sat in the 3rd row in Atlas, its very spacious for me. Of course I'm only 5.6, but the tallest person in my family or friends is only 5.11. So, I'm pretty sure its OK for us.

5. I'm kinda surprised to see that you didn't mention anything about Pilot. Honestly, I didn't like the Pilot looks (from front it looks old CR-V), No Android auto No Toyota, CX9 is too compact...Q7, Durango, Traverse or not even in the options list and Explorer is too old and ready for the full redesign.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I am on my 4th Subaru now (2018 Crosstrek). Our other car has always been another brand, usually different each time (currently Toyota). The other brands were always initially attractive, but that wore off once quality and reliability issues started showing up. And nothing beats the AWD of a Subaru.

But this Crosstrek greatly exceeded our expectation, and is by far the best Subaru we have ever had. What is most impressive is the ride. It was supposed to be a smaller econo box SUV, but the ride feels more like a high end car, yet also has a superior ride off pavement on rough roads (much better than the truck we just sold). I was extremely impressed with how it handled washboard up a mountain road. Our truck and my son's MDX had a really tough time with that, and would rattle, slip and bounce around like crazy. The Crosstrek, on the other hand, stayed planted, and much smoother. I don't know if it is the suspension or AWD, but it is certainly much better off road than any other vehicle that I have been in.

So now we are also looking at the Ascent, and if we go for it, would be the first time we have 2 Subaru's in the family.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I am on my 4th Subaru now (2018 Crosstrek). Our other car has always been another brand, usually different each time (currently Toyota). The other brands were always initially attractive, but that wore off once quality and reliability issues started showing up. And nothing beats the AWD of a Subaru.

But this Crosstrek greatly exceeded our expectation, and is by far the best Subaru we have ever had. What is most impressive is the ride. It was supposed to be a smaller econo box SUV, but the ride feels more like a high end car, yet also has a superior ride off pavement on rough roads (much better than the truck we just sold). I was extremely impressed with how it handled washboard up a mountain road. Our truck and my son's MDX had a really tough time with that, and would rattle, slip and bounce around like crazy. The Crosstrek, on the other hand, stayed planted, and much smoother. I don't know if it is the suspension or AWD, but it is certainly much better off road than any other vehicle that I have been in.

So now we are also looking at the Ascent, and if we go for it, would be the first time we have 2 Subaru's in the family.
The Crosstrek like the Impreza rides on the new Subaru Global Platform. Chassis stiffness is up 70-100%. Thats the reason

·
Registered
597 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

1. I agree, Gas mileage is a huge win over Atlas.

2. Since I haven't seen the Ascent and test drove the Atlas...I can't comment on the dash. But, yeah I heard about Boxer engine sits much lower than Inline or V engines and that makes a good visibility for the driver.

3. I was only going for the SEL trim (compromising the Fender audio), but Atlas will come with 6 year, 72000 mile power train warranty which is also a transferable is a good plus point. Also, I haven't heard anything about the Subaru Ascent warranty details.

4. We were actually going with bench seats either with Atlas or Ascent and when I sat in the 3rd row in Atlas, its very spacious for me. Of course I'm only 5.6, but the tallest person in my family or friends is only 5.11. So, I'm pretty sure its OK for us.

5. I'm kinda surprised to see that you didn't mention anything about Pilot. Honestly, I didn't like the Pilot looks (from front it looks old CR-V), No Android auto No Toyota, CX9 is too compact...Q7, Durango, Traverse or not even in the options list and Explorer is too old and ready for the full redesign.
The Warranty on the Atlas is nice but the dealership experience can make a huge difference. In my area even though VW and Subaru are part of the same building I have not heard anything good about VW service and have heard zero complaints about Subaru service. I think this might have to deal with the fact most of the VWs that go in seem to have had larger repair times due to delay in getting parts.

at 5'11" the Ascent will work as well but the Atlas has more space. Cousin has a new Pilot and my 12 year old son hated the third row and said it not comfortable. With that the car was not even an option. I agree on the Explorer being an old design but they made a change to the dash that helped it feel more open. Granted I really liked the new Expedition but it is hard to justify an extra $20K over the Ascent when I don't have a need for a vehicle that large.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts