Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my first Subie, a 2020 Touring, and I'm wondering if the Subaru branded sunshade for the front windshield is worth the extra money. It's $70 at a dealer which seems high, but hoping to get some feedback from people who have one? Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
49 Posts
One was “included” with my Limited. It is nice that it fits pretty snug and is not flimsy like some of the bubble wrap style.
They look a lot like the Covercraft shades online which are also $70.
I guess worth is personal ... I’m Not sure I would have paid $70 as an optional accessory, But now that I have it, the cheap, floppy, ill-fitting one in my other car annoys me :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
No. Just buy a cheap one on Amazon. Literally throwing money away if you buy that. Buying the Subaru sun shade is akin to those idiot Harley weekend warriors who but the HD helmet, HD Gloves, HD Jacket, and HD boots

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Just bought my first Subie, a 2020 Touring, and I'm wondering if the Subaru branded sunshade for the front windshield is worth the extra money. It's $70 at a dealer which seems high, but hoping to get some feedback from people who have one? Thank you in advance!
The quality of the Subie sunshade is evident and I thought it was worth it. The fit blocks all sun coming through the large windshield.

·
Registered
566 Posts
It's a real pain in the xxx to use. I used it once in two years. Much prefer the standard pop up ones. If I were to be parked in the hot sun for 8 hours, I'd pull it out. However, the ones for the 2nd and 3rd row windows are great!!!!!

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Definitely get second and third row. Anyone can install the third row with ease. The second row requires some level of mechanical inclination, and a willingness to take one's time to not damage the door, door trim, weather seal in the door or door upholstery (but, it's not difficult). There are instructions available for download, as well as owner made videos.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,839 Posts
The Subaru sunshades are excellent, IMHO. They are durable and they fit. I did not find the cost out of line, either...you don't have to pay full retail MSRP if you shop around.

Reactions: RobertD

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
IDK about the official Subaru shade. I have one that's two rectangular springy panels, one for each side of the windshield. Stack, twist and stick between the seat and console takes maybe 5-6 seconds. Deployment, maybe 10 seconds. This:

I put them in long dimension up/down.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I went with a 3rd party one from Amazon they was about half the price. It's a custom fit for the Ascent, so it fits nicely in the windshield and has a proper cutout for the Eyesight. I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
Subaru Ascent Touring 2019
157 Posts
I went with a 3rd party one from Amazon they was about half the price. It's a custom fit for the Ascent, so it fits nicely in the windshield and has a proper cutout for the Eyesight. I'm very happy with it.

I have the same. The fit is perfect.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I def think it's worth the money. Fits nicely and is very thick. Keeps the car cool.

·
Registered
59 Posts
58 Posts
#12 In a moment
Papa G said:
I def think it's worth the money. Fits nicely and is very thick. Keeps the car cool.

·
Registered
1 Posts
One came with my new ascent. It's nice but not practical. When it folds up it's so big that there is no where to store it that isn't in the way. The circular ones are nice because they do the job and you can stash it under the seat or in the seat back pocket. I'll send you mine for $20 if you want it:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I like my costco sunshade. It also comes with two small side window shades.

·
Registered
4 Posts
They are great really keeps the heat out...but i wouldnt pay 70...work with your dealership ask them if they would hook you up...thats what i did and they gave it with the car

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have bought the ones for several cars that are like an accordion shade that you pull from the right and hook on the left near the edge of the driver’s side windshield. They are a little cheaper but you don’t have to store anything when not in use; they fold up on the right side.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I thought I would love the sunshade, we live in a hot climate. But it’s not convenient, especially storage. I have rear buckets and lay it in between them. If I had regular passengers in the back it would be in the way. I put it maybe 3 times, get a cheapie.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts