Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife calls me other other day and tells me our 10 month old Subaru Ascent was making click/clunk noise from the driver's side.

I think, it's either a spring or a CV joint... nothing should be wrong out yet. "Did you hit anything, say and excessively deep pot hole, etc.?" "No."

I drive the car and it's makes the noise pretty religiously. It's not a CV joint, and there are no torn boots / any marks on the undercarriage

I'll call the dealer.

Upon talking to the stealership (a well earned name for Firtzgeralds Subaru, until they redeem themselves - see my signature - let's just say the adding an extra QT of oil to cover up oil burning is OK in their book...), they tell me to bring it in.

I get a call the following day "We can't reproduce the noise. You'll need to come in and drive it with a tech." Me: "Are you serious? Did you drive the car? It universally makes the noise, and it's unmistakable."

I make it to the dealer and the tech comes up to drive the car with me. I ask him if he drove the car? "Yes," he says, "I did."

(I give him a look that indicated I didn't believe him.) "Ok, let's go!"

We get in the Ascent, and I drive, nice and easy, down the local road to a back road. I look at the tech and say "Are you one of those people that drive really slow? Get scared when you're not in control?"

He just looks are me...

Then I step on the gas, pedal to the floor, cut across the other side of the highway (lots of traffic) and hit the back country road.

CLICK-BAM

"So you couldn't get the car to make that noise?!?!?"

I gun it around a corner, and CLICK-BAM! Like that?

"I'm sure the car is safe to drive." CLICK-BAM... "Let's see what it can do??"

CLICK-BAM

CLICK-BAM

CLICK-BAM

Let's see how it does in this field?

CLICK-BAM, CLICK-BAM, CLICK-BAM, CLICK-BAM....etc.

"You REALLY couldn't get it to make this noise???" CLICK-BAM

We get back to the dealer and go inside. The service rep asked "Did it make the noise?" I say "About 40 times...However, I really want to know if you guys even drove the car?"

Eventually, they replaced the front spings, as there was a TSB for that. (It's not making the sound now...)

This is literally the first time that Fitzgerald's Subaru only took one visit to the dealer to fix an issue with ANY of our Subarus! Woot.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,880 Posts
'Hope he had an extra uniform to change into when you got him back to the facility... :) :D

Reactions: J_Ascent2020

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
By the way you can check the mileage on the MySubaru app. I used that to call out my ex-dealer for not test driving mine.

·
Registered
731 Posts
My major dash issue took 6 freakin total visits. I and the wife were pissed beyond pissed. I let everybody know there would not be a 7th. They fixed it all on the 6th trip. Buncha incompetents.
The sad fact is, many, many Subaru dealer’s service depts are horribly undersized and haven’t been able to keep up with the massive growth Subaru has experienced. Adding bays to existing land takes away from sales space and costs big bucks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You missed an opportunity to lemon law the car.

In other thoughts, it's good that the dealership instilled values in their techs that they should treat their customer's cars with respect. They probably seen enough caught on dashcam videos of dealership technicians joyriding in customer's cars.

But... a warranty can be voided by "abusively" driving the car. It's usually spelled out in the warranty terms, that no one reads.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,880 Posts
You missed an opportunity to lemon law the car.
Lemon laws are state-specific, so this may or may not be "enough", depending on where the OP lives.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I wish I could get ours to figure out the issue. Had the recall issue long before there was a recall and was consistently told they could not recreate the problem. The recall "fix" lasted a few weeks and it's back to doing the same lurching/ jerking, not shifting in low gear BS. I've had this Ascent for a year now and have hated driving it 90% of the time. I've spoken with Subaru. Nothing. They say it's just typical of there cars to lurch when shifting gears, which is true to an extent... I've driven enough loaners at this point to know. However, none of them hesitate like mine does or makes me look like I'm trying to learn to drive a stick in every 20 mph school zone I go through or when I'm trying to accelerate onto a highway. Never again. 20 years with Ford and thought we were upgrading with Subaru... boy were we fooled. I'll be trading it in for something else soon, so we will see if it holds its value like they boast.

·
Registered
48 Posts
To the op: Sounds like you had the same thing going on that I had going on a year ago right after I bought my Ascent. Only took one trip to the dealer, but it took them ten days to figure out what was wrong and fix it. On the plus side, the sales manager called and said they would make my first month's payment for the inconvenience.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts