Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're about a month into our Ascent Touring and really like it for trips. It's so large to us that we continue to use the old Accord sedans (2006 V6 6MT and 2008 4cyl 5 speed) for most of our around town driving, but we got the Ascent mostly for trips. We put about 1500 miles on it right away but have slowed down the miles since that trip. So far everything seems pretty good, except we both still like manual transmissions the best, and the manual mode isn't quite the same. But for our first ever CVT, this one seems good enough. And gas mileage isn't the same, obviously, as the Accords, but man, the room - it was so easy to pack for the trip :cool: I think we are going to like this one.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Compact sport utility vehicle

·
Super Moderator
2,449 Posts
IMHO I'd rather go from a MT to a CVT than to an AT. That's one of the reasons I chose the Ascent. I do miss that 3rd pedal though! How do you like the updated technology (touchscreen, eyesight) compared to 2006-2008?
Enjoy your Ascent!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IMHO I'd rather go from a MT to a CVT than to an AT. That's one of the reasons I chose the Ascent. I do miss that 3rd pedal though! How do you like the updated technology (touchscreen, eyesight) compared to 2006-2008?
Enjoy your Ascent!
Thanks.

It's all taking a little bit of getting used to. The adaptive cruise control can be a help, but also causes frustration at times for trying to maintain speed. I wish the bump up/down cruise speed worked in smaller increments. I usually like to run about 3mph over, but bumping makes it 5mph over (or exactly on-speed which is usually too slow for traffic) and gets me nervous sometimes :cool: Once bumped, you are stuck on the 5mph increments until/unless you reset your cruise speed. Touchscreen works fine and looks nice. There isn't much of a screen on either of our Accords - just radio/CD kind of info - but they are adequate for the need. We don't do much with the screen/entertainment stuff most of the time so far, so it sits blank much of the time.

The lane keeping thing I'm still trying to figure out how and when it really helps me. Most of the time I notice it, it seems I am fighting the system to stay where I want to in a bend in the road. Either that or it's not on. I've turned it off many times so that I don't have to fight it for my line.

I need to figure out X mode. Or maybe not. I'm mostly concerned with speed holding going down big grades on a curvy country highway. Going manual and gradually reducing gears until the engine braking keeps my speed where I want is what I've tried so far. Being able to select from all gear selection points is good there. A normal automatic tranny doesn't give enough choices and then I end up riding the brakes to keep my speed where I want it in that kind of situation.

For what it's worth, we also test drove a Pilot, which felt pretty floaty to us. The Ascent seems much more connected to the road and we enjoyed driving it much more so that the Pilot.

I'm still training myself on the lack of a 3rd pedal :)

·
Super Moderator
2,449 Posts
I test drove a potential 2nd car today that was a manual bmw. it felt nice to have a clutch again!

have you tried holding down the cruise control speed button thing? if you hold it in the up/down position it'll change your ACC setting by 1mph at a time. I like to drive 9mph over so i bump it up to 10 over and then hold it down till its set at 9. seems to be a sweet spot and never been pulled over here

but bumping makes it 5mph over (or exactly on-speed which is usually too slow for traffic) and gets me nervous sometimes :cool: Once bumped, you are stuck on the 5mph increments until/unless you reset your cruise speed.
I'm still training myself on the lack of a 3rd pedal :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I test drove a potential 2nd car today that was a manual bmw. it felt nice to have a clutch again!

have you tried holding down the cruise control speed button thing? if you hold it in the up/down position it'll change your ACC setting by 1mph at a time. I like to drive 9mph over so i bump it up to 10 over and then hold it down till its set at 9. seems to be a sweet spot and never been pulled over here
Cool; didn't know of that feature. Guess I should have read the manual better :ROFLMAO: I'll try to check that out next time we are on a highway.

I've never driven a BMW, but have heard they are drivers cars and feel pretty good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.