Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Tungsten 2019 Ascent Limited with the 8 seat configuration here in Prescott, AZ. I’ve wanted a Subaru for years but the timing wasn’t right. I’m so glad I waited. We have 5 kids and having a 2nd 8 seater vehicle is awesome! I honestly didn’t think we’d be able to all fit, but it is surprisingly comfortable (my kids are still small and young). Needless to say, I’m super impressed with the car overall and the Limited version is extremely well appointed with new technology and modern comforts. Can’t wait to start customizing it! Not a huge fan of 20” rims, so first order of business will be to get some 17’s along with a more aggressive set of tires. Glad I found this forum!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Welcome and congratulations! Yes, there is a wealth of information here. You can find more than one thread that has information about changing to smaller rims with more aggressive tires. @Robert.Mauro has done extensive test fittings before he settled on his setup. Good luck!

·
Registered
944 Posts
I just bought a Tungsten 2019 Ascent Limited with the 8 seat configuration here in Prescott, AZ. I’ve wanted a Subaru for years but the timing wasn’t right. I’m so glad I waited. We have 5 kids and having a 2nd 8 seater vehicle is awesome! I honestly didn’t think we’d be able to all fit, but it is surprisingly comfortable (my kids are still small and young). Needless to say, I’m super impressed with the car overall and the Limited version is extremely well appointed with new technology and modern comforts. Can’t wait to start customizing it! Not a huge fan of 20” rims, so first order of business will be to get some 17’s along with a more aggressive set of tires. Glad I found this forum!
Welcome to the family!

Most likely you'll end up with 18" rims. I think Robert found ONE set of 17" rims that BARELY fit over the large brakes!

·
Administrator
11,404 Posts
My setup

Hi! So far, when it comes to 17" rims, there seem to be only two choices (there are some running on rims that are not load rated for the car, and I don't count those).

Personally, I use Liquid Metal Shadow 17x7.5 +40mm offset 114.3/5 bolt pattern rims, and Kumho Road Venture AT51 tires. I'm loving them. I picked a size that exactly matches the stock tire dimensions. My full setup details are at the bottom.

But, keep in mind, they're a 2ish mpg hit and they are noisier. On the other hand, they're rated 10/10 on snow (which is amazing for a tire that's not a snow or dedicated winter tire) and they handle utterly phenomenal in rain (the only thing that drops their rain rating is that they are noisier in rain).

I've found them to be great on the beach too.

They're also amazing on ice. Here I am zig zagging on ice that's FEET thick (I'm literally on TOP of Lake Algonquin) - I chose a detour across the snow mounds and exposed ice to get off the lake:
https://www.facebook.com/SubaruAmbassadorRobert/videos/2098620930176703/

MY SETUP:
  • Kumho Road Venture AT-51s: 245/65R17
  • Liquid Metal Shadow 17x7.5 +40mm offset 114.3/5 bolt pattern

YOU MUST GET:
  • Hub ring adapters (76mm to 56.1mm)
  • New lug nuts that fit the RIMS. The Ascent's 60° conical lug nuts CANNOT be used on these rims.

Here's more details on the Kumhos:

Rick at Discount Tires x50362 can help you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts