Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got my Red Ascent on Saturday, hit 200 miles today and noticed a scratch on the back right (100% my fault). It's not massive, but some paint is missing and it is noticable. Should I call the dealership and quote how much it will be to fix or should I do something else?

·
Registered
411 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
I am sure it will be the first of many. For me, if it was my fault, I would just let it go. That way the ones that follow are easier to take. Without seeing pictures, I would clean it up as best I can with clay/rubbing compound, etc. Depending upon how deep it is, I would be tempted to try touch up paint. But as much as I would like the car to be perfect forever, it just will not be that way.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I almost miss the old Outbacks with the plastic side panels because they looked good and took scratches like a champ! If it wouldn't be so ugly, I'd say rhino-line up to the door handle all the way around! no scratches ever! lol

Reactions: cjkenton

·
Registered
11 Posts
White Touring in first 4 days

We picked up our Ascent Touring on Friday. Have only 200 miles on it so far but we are impressed with what we have learned so far. Coming from a 2017 Outback Limited, this car is much larger in feel and actual size. It drives large but more responsive, impressive with the ride, quietness and ease to drive. Half of our millage is highway rest local roads and it handles both with the same smooth ride. Everything works as it should with the exception of the remote start, still do not have that working, getting error code, will work on that today. It helped that our Salesman Murray at Baldwin Subaru had taken the time to set up the car to our desires. Overall impressions at this point. Excellent.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I wouldnt recommend asking the dealer to try and fix it. They may charge you a ridiculous fee for something you can do just as well. Much like others have suggested, consider some touch up paint and then try some rubbing compound to blend it. Dont forget to wax it after for some protection.

I'm dreading when I find my first scratch, but I know if it's not from my clumsy self it'll be from my goofy dog who panics whenever I leave his sight. I keep telling myself that it adds character. ;)

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Go to a good dent shop with the touch up paint. They should be able to take care of the tiny crease and the missing paint.

·
Registered
632 Posts

Thanks all for the input. I think I am half tempted to do it myself now and just buy extra paint for the future. I guess wish me luck.
go here Touch up paint | Touch Up Paint | AutomotiveTouchup get color match, order 2 cans or so, don't forget to get SprayMax 2K Urethane Clear Coat (Respirator Mask Mandatory), it will be a hard clear coat like spray booth , 1 time use once you mix it. You should definitely add a little bondo filler, sand down the little area and wet sand it till it's smooth to the touch and it's even. Use 800 or so then work your way up to 2000. Don't need to remove all the paint, just so the new paint will grab onto the body panel. I've ordered from here and have done this a few times before on previous cars my family scratched and damage and it always looks great. A little patience and prep goes a long way! Off course, this is just my suggestion...

Good luck,

the other way is to go into a shop and have them do it, but I bet it's going to cost around $1000 or so. It's not cheap cause they have to do the entire panel there to blend it correctly.

Or, ask your insurance and pay the deductible and have them fix it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ack! Got my first scratch on the rear bumper. An idiot driver trying to parallel park his new lexus and scraped his front passenger bumper/fender on mine rear bumper. It seems like only paint chipped and no damage to bumper. I am going to try to buy the touch up paint from paintscratch.com and fix it myself, but still it sucks. At least it seems like his damage is worse than mine.
Might invest in a rear bumper cover/protector after this incident. The joy and headaches of living in NYC.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I've never had much luck with touch up paint on scratches, paint chips yes, but not scratches. Once it's past the clear coat then it's a job for the pros. And yes, it's expensive.

My Ascent was keyed in a parking lot with less than 100 miles on it. It goes to the body shop tomorrow.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had my Ascent for about three weeks when a daughter's friend lost control of her bike and put about a 2" scratch below the driver's side mirror, all the way through the paint into the primer. Her dad is a car guy and felt awful about it, understandably. He offered to pay for the repair, I drop it off at the body shop today.

The cost to repair may be less than you think. My estimate was just under $600, and they need to paint two body panels because the scratch is close to the front edge of the door.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i knew the scratches, dings, scrapes will be coming sooner or later as I live in NYC. I just did not expect it this soon.
Funny how when I got the forester, i didnt care as much if there was a scratches or dings.

·
Registered
118 Posts

Thanks all for the input. I think I am half tempted to do it myself now and just buy extra paint for the future. I guess wish me luck.

Hate to say this as I'm new around here, but looks like OP hasn't been on since 24-Jul. Would have loved to heard what he did and how it turned out.

Do appreciate the input from others on their experience, as it is helpful.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Just as a fun FYI I nicked the tailgate when removing the badges because the corner of the N are sharp. I bought touch-up for the white color in a tri-coat (White base, pearl, clear). I got a little to much on the spot and decided to wet sand. End result was a patch of destroyed clear coat.

End cost to get it fixed back to factory $650 and a less than happy wife :) On another note if anyone lives in the suburbs of Chicago, I think I found what could be described as the best body shop I've ever gotten work done at.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too recently scratched a new CWP Ascent while taking skis out of the trunk. The ski edges caught the edge of the trunk lid and shaved off a 0.5 cm strip of paint. My plan is to use Subaru OEM touch-up paint which comes with paint and top-coat (like https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OE...al-White-Pearl-K1X-J361SAL000A1-/231652446977), and then use 3M edge protection film across the trunk edge to mitigate future damage. Likely will not protect against another brush with ski edges, but will likely be better than nothing, and not a fan of the look of the beefier bumper-style edge guards.

Will keep people posted on how that goes...

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,123 Posts
go here Touch up paint | Touch Up Paint | AutomotiveTouchup get color match, order 2 cans or so, don't forget to get SprayMax 2K Urethane Clear Coat (Respirator Mask Mandatory), it will be a hard clear coat like spray booth , 1 time use once you mix it. You should definitely add a little bondo filler, sand down the little area and wet sand it till it's smooth to the touch and it's even. Use 800 or so then work your way up to 2000. Don't need to remove all the paint, just so the new paint will grab onto the body panel. I've ordered from here and have done this a few times before on previous cars my family scratched and damage and it always looks great.
How large an area have you painted? Did you use the aerosol can products? Were you able to blend well enough to make the repair nearly undetectable?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts