Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at Subarus for about 18 months. Mostly Outbacks and have been waiting on the 2020 redesign so we could take advantage of the increased tow capacity. Then it hit me I can get the same platform, engine, and technology TODAY plus real tow capacity with an Ascent.

So I did an Ascent 101 crash course and went driving yesterday. Let me say first this is a great site, content here is 300 level course work and up with insightful knowledge and members. I wasn't surprised at the smaller steering wheel, but wasn't a fan of the steering. I never read the thread on how to use the accelerator, but wished I had. Never thought a midsize SUV could be accelerate too much lol. No deal breakers just stuff to get use to. My wife liked the quick acceleration off the line and in traffic. My first impression was the side view mirrors seemed small. Loved the ride. Loved the quiet. Loved the room.

Here is the But, the fly in the soup, the sticky wicket....
We took a test drive when it was 113 in a car that was sitting all day in the sun - on purpose! Sadly the Ascent failed to cool us off. It took the edge off after about 10 minutes/5+ miles and lots of fiddling around with the AC by the sales guy, but that was all. So maybe we got one of the 2019s with an AC issue or maybe the sales guy was not pressing the right combo (he was a nice guy, but didn't impress me with his knowledge) or maybe the AC was kicking off and on because I was stomping on the gas.

Heat in AZ is just a fact of life, like hurricanes in the Midwest or earthquakes in California or cold in the Dakotas. With a super heated car interior an AC unit needs to get COLD fast. Might try driving a different one but it's going to be a very tough sell to my wife. She was HOT, still is but that's a different thread, and not likely to get into another Ascent. Getting into the car I was already to negotiate an extra bumper panel and cutout a hole for the receiver. If someone who lives and drives with really hot temps and low humidity , yes the dry heat, has insight I would love to hear it.

Honestly that's all I of my first impressions. We spent it mostly trying to cool off. Never played with the screen, hardly looked at the driving technology. Had to ask if it was on because I didn't hear a bunch of beeping. When I did hear the lane departure warning it was very quiet and not annoying. At least for me because I wasn't wearing the hearing aids everyone insisted I get, so I did, but you can't make me wear them, and I don't have batteries anyway.

On the plus side we got in our car, cooled off quickly and continued our day by looking at an Apex Nano trailer. Think we have a winner, all thanks to the content posted here. I'm blanking on the OPs name but his info at theamppeer.org is beyond great.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
I have a Ascent Limited with 6000 miles on it in Denver. With the rescent hot weather I noticed the same AC issue. I agree with you if the vehicle is sitting in the sun for hours, it needs to cool off quickly just to be able to be in the vehicle. This just occured this week so I plan on bringing it in next week for a fix of some kind. Prior to that visit, I plan on testing it by setting it on 60 rather than LO which is supposed to be the most robust setting. I am not expecting success but I am desperate until it gets fixed.

·
Registered
296 Posts
theampeer.org is me, Ken Myers. That URL is for my electrically powered radio control airplane site. It was a handy place to park the info on the Ascent and trailer research, as I already have had that Website since 1996.
My email address is [email protected].
I can give you a lot of firsthand information on the Apex Nano 187RB, and it would probably hold true for the other Apex Nanos as well.
Shoot me an email and I will be happy to share what I've learned so far about our trailer, as well as several things we did to "upgrade" it a bit.

Ken

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ours seems a little weak too...

We have a Touring model that built in H2.

Like you I’m looking at either the 2020 Outback Touring XT, or a Toyota Highlander Hybrid Platinum. (The new one is supposed to get 34 MPG... which my wifes Ascent does not. (22MPG on highway trips))

·
Registered
584 Posts
I have been looking at Subarus for about 18 months. Mostly Outbacks and have been waiting on the 2020 redesign so we could take advantage of the increased tow capacity. Then it hit me I can get the same platform, engine, and technology TODAY plus real tow capacity with an Ascent.

So I did an Ascent 101 crash course and went driving yesterday. Let me say first this is a great site, content here is 300 level course work and up with insightful knowledge and members. I wasn't surprised at the smaller steering wheel, but wasn't a fan of the steering. I never read the thread on how to use the accelerator, but wished I had. Never thought a midsize SUV could be accelerate too much lol. No deal breakers just stuff to get use to. My wife liked the quick acceleration off the line and in traffic. My first impression was the side view mirrors seemed small. Loved the ride. Loved the quiet. Loved the room.

Here is the But, the fly in the soup, the sticky wicket....
We took a test drive when it was 113 in a car that was sitting all day in the sun - on purpose! Sadly the Ascent failed to cool us off. It took the edge off after about 10 minutes/5+ miles and lots of fiddling around with the AC by the sales guy, but that was all. So maybe we got one of the 2019s with an AC issue or maybe the sales guy was not pressing the right combo (he was a nice guy, but didn't impress me with his knowledge) or maybe the AC was kicking off and on because I was stomping on the gas.

Heat in AZ is just a fact of life, like hurricanes in the Midwest or earthquakes in California or cold in the Dakotas. With a super heated car interior an AC unit needs to get COLD fast. Might try driving a different one but it's going to be a very tough sell to my wife. She was HOT, still is but that's a different thread, and not likely to get into another Ascent. Getting into the car I was already to negotiate an extra bumper panel and cutout a hole for the receiver. If someone who lives and drives with really hot temps and low humidity , yes the dry heat, has insight I would love to hear it.

Honestly that's all I of my first impressions. We spent it mostly trying to cool off. Never played with the screen, hardly looked at the driving technology. Had to ask if it was on because I didn't hear a bunch of beeping. When I did hear the lane departure warning it was very quiet and not annoying. At least for me because I wasn't wearing the hearing aids everyone insisted I get, so I did, but you can't make me wear them, and I don't have batteries anyway.

On the plus side we got in our car, cooled off quickly and continued our day by looking at an Apex Nano trailer. Think we have a winner, all thanks to the content posted here. I'm blanking on the OPs name but his info at theamppeer.org is beyond great.
Was the "Recirculation" button pressed along with the AC button? If not, you have outside air coming in the vents competing with the AC

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ken your site is awesome! I like to comparison shop in an effort to make an informed decision but you take it to a new level of depth and organization. I'm more a sticky note and lined paper guy. The Ascent, for us, was away to compromise a touring car and tow vehicle. Unfortunately it also means compromising our trailer options also. After discussing it this morning I think we are going to save some money and buy a CPO 2018/19 Outback. Then pick up a used half ton truck and trailer. Will cost a little more, but it opens up options like the Apex 231RDS.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was the "Recirculation" button pressed along with the AC button? If not, you have outside air coming in the vents competing with the AC
After reading many of the posts concerning AC issues here I made sure the unit was set to LO and recycle on. I kept the rear AC on because that's how we would use in on a regular basis. We also tried several other combos to see it that made a difference, no improvement. When it is really hot here there is a widely held practice of running the AC on outside air with a rear window cracked open to vent out the heated air for a few minutes before switching on recirculating. Personally I want a car that doesn't need a work around solution. I like to think there was an problem with this particular car, but unless you have experienced this type of heat it's hard to explain. This wouldn't be the first new car that just couldn't handle it. On the other hand I have a 2006 xterra that is the go to car when it's really hot. It takes a 130* cabin temp and within a mile you are cooled off. In 3 you are turning it down.

·
Registered
61 Posts
First of all, I live in the south, Florida, and we always keep the A/C temperature dial on the lowest setting. Anything higher does not do the trick. Secondly, I'm sure Subaru has the auto air conditioner thing figured out. It is possible there is a refrigerant leak so the system needs to be recharged/ repaired
Third, we get hurricanes down here along the coast. They get tornados in the midwest.??

·
Registered
47 Posts
Dont know. Just a few days ago i got into my Ascent parked on the sun 97 degree showing on dash. It took about 20 mins to cool it off, by the time i picked up my kids all in all in about 40 mins, i had to lower it . Whenever you get in the car that was parked on sun, open your windows and drive about 5-10 mins. Even manual says that. Plus, dont forget to consider recirculation mode. 113 in the car and outside i assume above 90? Or even 80? And you expect to feel cool in what - 5-10 mins? No way. Unless its Smart.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I live in Denver also. My 2005 Outback and 2006 are the very same. 20min minimum to get even close to cool. And the one with the leather is a hot b*tch. I just had that one serviced to be super cool. It's the same.

·
Registered
791 Posts
My AC takes a while to cool the car down also, it seems for the first 10 mins or so it blows lukewarm air, then after about 15 minutes it starts to get cold enough to cool the car off. Recirc doesn't seem to make much difference, and this is always with the rear AC on. Haven't had this issue with any other of my SUV's or minivans, they cool off in a few minutes..

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
This is a big SUV so it may not cool down as quickly as a smaller car. The interior absorbs and holds a lot of heat, especially if it's black or brown. All of that stored heat from three rows of seating has to be dissipated. If you're used to a much smaller SUV like the Forester, then yes, the Ascent will probably take longer to cool.

There are a lot of tradeoffs between small and large cars.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
I ran the AC with recirculating on and max AC with the rear synced so every setting that is supposed to maximize the AC has been on. Not sufficient, so I will be bringing it in.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
This is a big SUV so it may not cool down as quickly as a smaller car. The interior absorbs and holds a lot of heat, especially if it's black or brown. All of that stored heat from three rows of seating has to be dissipated. If you're used to a much smaller SUV like the Forester, then yes, the Ascent will probably take longer to cool.

I have the rear AC on as well for over an hour. There is no way this is supposed to be the way it works.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
First of all, I live in the south, Florida, and we always keep the A/C temperature dial on the lowest setting. Anything higher does not do the trick. Secondly, I'm sure Subaru has the auto air conditioner thing figured out. It is possible there is a refrigerant leak so the system needs to be recharged/ repaired
Third, we get hurricanes down here along the coast. They get tornados in the midwest.??
I hope it the solution is that simple.

·
Registered
262 Posts
In 93 degree heat, and car sitting in the sun, I set the temp to 66, rear AC on & synced, recirculation off, without Max AC, and fan a notch or two below max. It cooled in less than 15 minutes and I had to bump the temperature up to 74/75 or I was going to freeze to death. This is on an Ascent Premium.

·
Registered
61 Posts

V

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hrm...I took a 2019test drive yesterday and the salesman left the car running for an unusually long period of time before he came and got us (was watching him through window). Also, was surprised to see an unusual amount of smoke/exhaust fumes (maybe this is normal for new car?) coming out of exhaust. Will have to go back and do test drive from parked vehicle. I live in Florida and there is no way I can settle for the a/c if it isn’t top notch. I have a 10 year old pilot that within a few minutes I have to turn it down it blows so cold.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts