Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2020 ascent in August'19. I have never changed oil myself before and wanted to try. 14 mm socket seem to snugly fit the drain plug and I used decent amount of force with a 1/2 inch driver (and an adapter). I still couldn't break it free. I could use more force but I was worried I might damage the drain plug. What could I be doing wrong?

·
Registered
495 Posts
for the first time, I would use the closed/boxed end of a standard hand wrench, making sure it is of the 6pt variety. do not use a 12pt. It has been a while, but you may have to remove the factory skidplate to do this method. I replaced my drain plug with a Fumoto valve and also my factory skid plate with an aftermarket, so I can't remember if there is enough room to use the hand wrench.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
for the first time, I would use the closed/boxed end of a standard hand wrench, making sure it is of the 6pt variety. do not use a 12pt. It has been a while, but you may have to remove the factory skidplate to do this method. I replaced my drain plug with a Fumoto valve and also my factory skid plate with an aftermarket, so I can't remember if there is enough room to use the hand wrench.
You are right. I will have to remove the skid plate to use a hand wrench. Just curious why you think this method is better than using a ratchet wrench. I have a fumato valve ready to go in once I figure how to get the factory plug out :)

·
Registered
495 Posts
You are right. I will have to remove the skid plate to use a hand wrench. Just curious why you think this method is better than using a ratchet wrench. I have a fumato valve ready to go in once I figure how to get the factory plug out :)
I think the socket and extender has too much slop and you may be prone to "pull" on the threads while loosening. The wrench would be more inline. You only have to remove the skid plate once since you have the fumoto. Hope it works out for you!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Try the 'shock' method of loosening. Take the socket wrench and tap the handle with a hammer. Doesn't have to be really hard, but a solid tapping will cause it to loosen. Impact wrenches are famous for loosening stuck hardware this way.

·
Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
I don’t remember removing any skid plates on mine. Then again I can’t remember if I used a socket or box end.
@ai2160 are you familiar with double wrenching?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Agree with skipro - some taps should help. I also have a short 6-10 inch piece of pipie i slide over the end of the ratchet to use as a short breaker bar to apply more force, which is harder to do in tight spaces. Also, Ive learned to always double check the direction of the ratchet to ensure its loosening the bolt :)

·
Registered
913 Posts
My 2017 Outback bolt was tight as hell. Yes I ended up having to go buy a good 6 side socket that fit and put on my longest socket wrench and it took forever to get off.

For my Ascent (and my Mustang) I decide to just get an oil evacuator pump and do the complete oil change from the top. No drain pan, no mess and no jacks needed! Soooooo much easier!

·
Registered
154 Posts
The factory puts on the drain plug pretty tightly. I used a pipe over the ratcheting wrench like @mdub for better leverage and braced a knee on the inside of the front wheel. Most of vehicles have the over tightened oil plug from the factory.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Try the 'shock' method of loosening. Take the socket wrench and tap the handle with a hammer. Doesn't have to be really hard, but a solid tapping will cause it to loosen. Impact wrenches are famous for loosening stuck hardware this way.
This is pretty much the method I use for any stuck bolt. A few wacks from a mallet does the trick nicely.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I have had this happen on plenty of vehicles especially when I was younger and worked at a gas station and did oil changes. Also some oil filters get really stuck. The temperature of the engine varies so much when doing oil changes. You might change the oil with the engine hot and the next one with the engine cold. This change in temperature and the difference in the coefficient of expansion of the various metals can lead to high break out torques. Subaru also has the crush washer and a higher torque required to crush the gasket. I was rather surprised the first time I removed my drain plug because it was so tight.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you all for the help. I got the drain plug out today. I used a breaker bar and the drain plug came out without much resistance. May be it came loose after my efforts yesterday and didn't put up a fight today.

Any how, I got it out and most likely I was being way too gentle with it. I put in a fumato valve and torqued it to ~18 ft-lb. I don't have to deal with this problem next time.

Cheers!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Thank you all for the help. I got the drain plug out today. I used a breaker bar and the drain plug came out without much resistance. May be it came loose after my efforts yesterday and didn't put up a fight today.

Any how, I got it out and most likely I was being way too gentle with it. I put in a fumato valve and torqued it to ~18 ft-lb. I don't have to deal with this problem next time.

Cheers!
Sweet. Glad you were able to get it loose and the Fumoto installed. Now go get a plastic elbow and 1' of tubing for easier drainage and cleanup.
For those who may follow, Fumoto recommends the 18 ft-lb torque for their valve whereas Subaru would apply ~31 ft-lb if using a new washer and the drain plug.

·
Registered
216 Posts
For those of y’all putting pipes on your ratchets I recommend using your box ends or a breaker bar instead. Ratchets aren’t made for high torque.
Haha - very true. I also have a 2-3 ft pipe ive used to crack differential and transmission plugs and my first thought when it first cracks is “man did I just break my ratchet!” - I will say I’ve put my husky ratchets to the test and they haven't broken yet.

·
Registered
597 Posts
From what I remember mine was on really tight as well. I ended up putting on a fumoto valve so I never had to deal with it again (once I had the correct one)

Here are the videos of my first oil change (wrong Fumoto Valve)

Here is my second video with the correct Fumoto Valve

1 - 20 of 29 Posts