Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not much of note other than

1) Oil smelled burnt (could be additives they put in the factory oil?)
2) It took a full 5 quarts and then some. (Book says 4.8 quarts).

3) Fumoto F107 was the valve for me. (It's the one with smaller threads...).

I will send it in for analysis.... To me 0w20 in this motor and 6k oil changes is questionable.

I used Castrol GTX Magnatec and OEM filter..

·
Registered
357 Posts
I still question the theory of waiting that long to change the initial oil change on a turbo car. I am still up in the air if we will do ours at 1k, that is what I have always done my turbo cars at.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Too late for that. But according to Subaru I could have gone another 2k. We'll see what Blackstone says.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yea curious as well, I did my STi at 1000 and then again at 5000 just to make things easy and do them at 5000 intervals, the outback we do at the recommended 6000.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Not much of note other than

1) Oil smelled burnt (could be additives they put in the factory oil?)
2) It took a full 5 quarts and then some. (Book says 4.8 quarts).

3) Fumoto F107 was the valve for me. (It's the one with smaller threads...).

I will send it in for analysis.... To me 0w20 in this motor and 6k oil changes is questionable.

I used Castrol GTX Magnatec and OEM filter..

At the risk of digging up an old thread... I was wondering if you received oil analysis results.

I just crossed 1k and I feel like a DIY oil change would be worth the cost. But, I'm concerned there might be additives I should leave in there longer than 1k miles.

Thoughts?

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
At the risk of digging up an old thread... I was wondering if you received oil analysis results.

I just crossed 1k and I feel like a DIY oil change would be worth the cost. But, I'm concerned there might be additives I should leave in there longer than 1k miles.

Thoughts?
I've been told, but have not been able to get secondary confirmation, that the reason they suggest leaving the first oil in for 6,000 miles is because it's got the break in additives. If I ever get secondary confirmation, I'll post that.

Anyways, I waited.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I went to 4750 as well. Wanted to change it before I started towing, so did it before my first camping trip.

Instead of the fumato valve, I got an oil pump that sucks the oil out from the top through the oil stick. Between that and the top mounted oil filter, I can change my oil while the car is firmly on the ground and in less than 15 mins! Love it! :D

Reactions: Sigmonster

·
Registered
559 Posts
I went to 4750 as well. Wanted to change it before I started towing, so did it before my first camping trip.

Instead of the fumato valve, I got an oil pump that sucks the oil out from the top through the oil stick. Between that and the top mounted oil filter, I can change my oil while the car is firmly on the ground and in less than 15 mins! Love it! :D
I've always wanted to try one of the Mityvac oil evacuators. How well do they work? How much oil does it leave behind? Surely some gets left behind. I would imagine it's not enough to be harmful to the engine?

https://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDisplay.cfm?lookup=MIT7400&source=froogle&kw=MIT7400&gclid=Cj0KCQiA5NPjBRDDARIsAM9X1GKJqlJgD5sxUdswa83Y_pAzGuarKbzIOfNspa5h2jYhVZ3JdQOkql8aApiVEALw_wcB

·
Registered
920 Posts
I bought the EWK 6.5L Pneumatic Manual Oil Changer Vacuum Fluid Extractor Pump Tank Remover from Ebay for $80

As long as you fully insert the tube down into the bottom of the oil pan you can't be leaving behind more than a 1/4 of a quart and I would guess even less. When I did my Mustang I had to pull the full 5 quarts in before it showed as full, so there could not have been much left behind. I guess an experiment would be to drain it with the pump and then open the drain plug and see how much comes out!

I did hand pump mine for the first use, but next time I will use the air compressor to generate the pressure needed. It took me 15 mins of pumping, though some of that was because I didn't have the hose fully down, that sort of thing.

I'm really really happy with it though. No more jacks, ramps or oil pans. When done, you can just pour the pump right into the disposal pan. Much easier to transport.

I have 2 more dealer services left but it's actually less of a PITA to do it myself with the pump than to wait 1.5 hrs at the dealer. I'd still have to pay though, so may suffer through 2 more! :p

Reactions: rockthebeef

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've been told, but have not been able to get secondary confirmation, that the reason they suggest leaving the first oil in for 6,000 miles is because it's got the break in additives. If I ever get secondary confirmation, I'll post that.

Anyways, I waited.
My first oil change will be in early April (6 months since I got the car). And by that time my car will only have about 2300 km (just over 1400 miles). The oil will still be too new but Subaru maintenance schedule is every 6 months/10000km (6000miles) whichever comes first. I wouldn't give this too much thought if it wasn't for the possible special break-in additives in this factory fill. What do you think I should do? I think Subaru's 6-month oil changes is way too short for people with low mileage; 12-month/6000mile would have been more reasonable.

And any idea what these additives are? If it's just zinc then I plan to use Toyota 0W20 for the first 1 or 2 oil changes because this oil has pretty high zinc content.

·
Registered
646 Posts
My first oil change will be in early April (6 months since I got the car). And by that time my car will only have about 2300 km (just over 1400 miles). The oil will still be too new but Subaru maintenance schedule is every 6 months/10000km (6000miles) whichever comes first. I wouldn't give this too much thought if it wasn't for the possible special break-in additives in this factory fill. What do you think I should do? I think Subaru's 6-month oil changes is way too short for people with low mileage; 12-month/6000mile would have been more reasonable.

And any idea what these additives are? If it's just zinc then I plan to use Toyota 0W20 for the first 1 or 2 oil changes because this oil has pretty high zinc content.
Same situation 6 months+ 2k mile. I changed it with Idemitsu ZEPRO. If you put less than 6k per year what would be the harm of yearly oil changes?

·
Registered
107 Posts

Anyways, I waited.
Robert-that does not sound like something you would say !

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Robert-that does not sound like something you would say !
Why not? I had someone non-Subaru who used to work for them, long before the change in initial oil change interval, say they believed it was because of additives. What I do know is that Subaru themselves advises the dealerships that the earlier interval is not necessary for the Ascent, and that they can wait until 6,000 miles.

If I'm not sure or don't know, I try to make that clear. There's so much I still don't know and so much I still want to learn. :tango_face_wink:

Anyway, my advice remains the same. Subaru says it's not necessary - I've got that from Subaru. I do not know exactly why. I chose to follow the Subaru recommendation, even not fully knowing why.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Why not? I had someone non-Subaru who used to work for them, long before the change in initial oil change interval, say they believed it was because of additives. What I do know is that Subaru themselves advises the dealerships that the earlier interval is not necessary for the Ascent, and that they can wait until 6,000 miles.

If I'm not sure or don't know, I try to make that clear. There's so much I still don't know and so much I still want to learn. :tango_face_wink:

Anyway, my advice remains the same. Subaru says it's not necessary - I've got that from Subaru. I do not know exactly why. I chose to follow the Subaru recommendation, even not fully knowing why.
Robert- i didn't mean it as a negative comment-you always seem to err on the side of safety-i'm glad to hear that about the 6,000 miles-i live on Martha's Vineyard and just can't wait that long-put very few miles living on an Island. I respect and follow everything you say- I'm 65 years old and don't say that to many people -Your a great Ambassador-jeff

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Robert- i didn't mean it as a negative comment-you always seem to err on the side of safety-i'm glad to hear that about the 6,000 miles-i live on Martha's Vineyard and just can't wait that long-put very few miles living on an Island. I respect and follow everything you say- I'm 65 years old and don't say that to many people -Your a great Ambassador-jeff
Thank you so much Jeff! It's comments like yours that make me enjoy trying to help out where I can. :smile:

Also, I didn't take it as a negative. I wasn't quite sure what you were trying to ask or say, so, I figured I'd explain my earlier statement, hoping that answered your comment. So, no worries, I didn't take it a bad way. Communicating via text can be really crappy to convey meaning sometimes.

Martha's Vineyards is on my list of places to visit one day. Among many other things, I really like photographing lighthouses, and, there's some there on my list.

This was taken in Chatham, MA - The Stage Harbor Light.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thank you so much Jeff! It's comments like yours that make me enjoy trying to help out where I can. :smile:

Also, I didn't take it as a negative. I wasn't quite sure what you were trying to ask or say, so, I figured I'd explain my earlier statement, hoping that answered your comment. So, no worries, I didn't take it a bad way. Communicating via text can be really crappy to convey meaning sometimes.

Martha's Vineyards is on my list of places to visit one day. Among many other things, I really like photographing lighthouses, and, there's some there on my list.

Robert-that's a great lighthouse used to be able to stay a night back in the day-5 lighthouses on the Vineyard-think you can take fast ferry out of long Island-let me know -jeff

·
Registered
827 Posts

Robert you live on LI,have you been to The End/ Montauk?...They have lighthouse as well.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.