Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There,

I am at 6,000 miles. Time for my first oil change.

I just called the dealer to book an appointment. They quoted me $170 for the oil change which includes topping off fluids and rotating the tires. I'm also part of the passport program which means I get a loaner for the day.

I was not expecting such a high price. Are most of you taking your Ascent to the dealer for the oil change or to an independent (independent shop or Jiffy Lube)?

The last time I went to Valvoline they put an after market cap on my car and I ended up with oil all over the engine (different car) and I had to pay $450 to have the engine cleaned.

I was not expecting to pay $170 for every oil change.

I'm not interested in doing it myself :)

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
833 Posts
That seems crazy high to me. I was in Sacramento CA when I needed my first oil change and rotation and paid $94.37. $45 of that was labor. I'm sure I'll pay less for my next one back here in MI.

I always go to a dealer for all my service except tires.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just had my second oil change 3 weeks ago. Dealer charged $89.27 for oil change and tire rotation.

This was in Jersey.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Way too pricey your region has some effect on labor price but I haven’t heard of any place in the lower 48 where a very basic 12 minute oil change justifies $170.

Even my Mercedes which always needs the computer reset and takes 9 quarts of pricy stuff at my local $185 hr shop rate is typically $120 max. The Ascent is 5 quarts is strictly a drain fill nothing else and any quality respectable oil is fine. And thats in crazy land CA the cheapest home for sale near this shop is $900,000 2bd 2ba condo.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Took mine to the dealer for first oil change and tire rotation and it was $108. I forgot the coupon they sent me via email or else it would of been $95. A little pricey, but I'll probably continue to take it to the dealer while it's under warranty and because I've been dealing with the service department for 11 years now and like how I'm treated.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I just called the shop. It looks like I am enrolled in the Passport program. If you do all of your scheduled maintenance with the dealer you get free tires for life along with free battery and a loaner car as needed.

I'll have to look at all of the paperwork again to determine if it is worth the cost.

Regular oil change only is $78 (no tire rotation).

·
Registered
235 Posts
Do you think is because I am getting a loaner? I'm going to call again to verify.
I would hope not. Do you actually need the loaner? My Subaru dealer has a quick service, no appointments needed for oil changes and simple stuff. It doesn't take long to do an oil change and tire rotation, plus you have an appointment time.
If you have another Subaru dealer or two in the area, I would call them and ask for their prices for the same service; oil change, top off fluids and tire rotation. If they are lower, I'd go back to your 1st dealer and ask them if they'd match or beat the price. If they won't then take it to one of the other Subaru dealers. Also, maybe talking with the service manager and explaining that many Ascent owners are getting it done for less than $100 or about half of what they want to charge. It's not like changing the oil in the Ascent is that much harder than other Subarus. :plain:

·
Registered
235 Posts
So, it looks like they might be "padding" their prices for each scheduled maintenance performed at the dealer so that your future "free" tires will be fully paid for by the time you get to needed them. Just my .02 cents. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
978 Posts
Ok, I just called the shop. It looks like I am enrolled in the Passport program. If you do all of your scheduled maintenance with the dealer you get free tires for life along with free battery and a loaner car as needed.

I'll have to look at all of the paperwork again to determine if it is worth the cost.

Regular oil change only is $78 (no tire rotation).
Yeah $170 an oil change your paying for a cheap tire And the oil change every visit. There is never a deal with these schemes. Did you also pay a large fee to the Finance guy for some type of service package when you were buying the Ascent? Check to see what they sold you.

Modern cars need very little service items between mile 1 and 100,000. Your Ascent should have a owners manual that lists exactly what Subaru suggests servicing at the various mileage points. Dealers make up their own list of stuff which has absolutely nothing to do with the car or whats really needed.

The Ascent not counting tires, shouldn’t cost more than $1200-$1500 to properly maintain to 100,000 miles. Thats brakes at between 40,000-60,000 give or take 15,000 miles pending your brake use. And the listed Subaru
Service itemsin the owners manual.

My local dealer if I purchases all their made up service packages my Subaru would cost me 5x the amount by the time I reach 100,000

·
Registered
944 Posts
Wow, my first 4 changes are free (except for the headache of going in) and after that I'll be doing my own. DIY is $40 total for high quality oil and filters!

With the location of the oil filter up top and an oil extractor pump, you can actually do a complete oil/filter change by just opening the hood and then pumping the oil out, unscrew the filter, screw new filter in and then refill the oil. 15 min job these days!

My oil extractor pump did cost $80, but there are ones about $60 as well. Still well worth it IMO.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'll probably end up doing my own tire rotations and oil changes... should be a breeze in comparison to changing the oil on my lowered Lexus.

·
Registered
223 Posts
For DIY i can do it for around $20. Pennzoil will run $2/quart rebates, and a 5qt jug is 25 bucks or less, plus a filter for 8 bucks or so. Dont waste your money at the dealership. I also personally dont trust them !

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
6,000 mile service here in Skagit County at Dwayne Lane's Skagit Subaru is included in the purchase price. Follow-on oil changes cost about $39.95 with the monthly service coupon provided in a monthly email. Have been doing this since I've purchased my 2015 Forester and our 2016 Crosstrek. I feel for you people living elsewhere on our great country.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I got complimentary oil changes,well included in the price.For me ,I’ll probably go through 3 a year so at least 2 are covered.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm at the age now where I like the dealer to do all of the maintenance. I do love how easy Subaru makes it to do an oil change on the Ascent, and may do one myself simply to teach my youngest how to do an oil change.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I'm at the age now where I like the dealer to do all of the maintenance. I do love how easy Subaru makes it to do an oil change on the Ascent, and may do one myself simply to teach my youngest how to do an oil change.
The last time I changed my oil one of my friends brought his kids over so they could learn. They then also helped me rotate the tires. Both of my kids have helped me with my old car but stopped when I got the new one. I think it is important for kids to see and learn how an engine works and basic information.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The last time I changed my oil one of my friends brought his kids over so they could learn. They then also helped me rotate the tires. Both of my kids have helped me with my old car but stopped when I got the new one. I think it is important for kids to see and learn how an engine works and basic information.
Absolutely. When my daughter was learning to drive years ago, I did the same with her even though she has a maintenance plan with her vehicle. Important life lessons for sure.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts