Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a few weeks ago that my transmission gives me a shudder or stutter feel through the car as if I was driving over the warning strip on the edge of some roads. This happened when holding speed between 50 and 60mph on the flats and then coming upon a gradual grade. It only lasts a second or 3, then settles down. Feels like it can't quite decide to down shift, that when it does, it upshifts quickly then repeats several times before I give more fuel and it finally downshifts and stays there.
I took it to the dealer who could not replicate the problem.
Yesterday I had a new problem; It was 37 degrees out, after dark and driven 5 miles at 55-60mph. I came to a stop sign, making a left hand turn. Just as the turn was completing and I was giving more throttle, the vehicle started to buck or surge. It felt like I was pumping the throttle but in actuality I was hold it steady. It did this for about 4 or 5 times; like I was loosing power, it would return, then lose it again, return for 4 or 5 cycles. It didn't repeat. My immediate thought was that I was running low on fuel but had over half a tank at the time. Then I thought the ignition was cutting out. Not an acceleration surge, but instead of loss of power buck that had my body surging forward, then back into the seat when the power returned, then forward again when the power cut out and repeat.
Anyone hear of this happening to others and if so, where I could read up on their experience?

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
101 Posts
I know this doesn't help you, and I am sorry about that ... but this sounds nearly identical to my experience when I had my 2014 Forester XT (which had a different CVT).

My issue was random, and very hard to replicate on demand, but I was finally able to do it with a tech in the car with the computer hooked up. Long story short, an ECU update ended up fixing the problem. It went on for 4-6 months and was very random and sometimes infrequent. When I could make it happen, it was just like a bucking bronco. The tech thought I was doing it on purpose but was able to replicate himself.

I could get it to replicate via very subtle acceleration through 20-35mph. Once I felt it beginning, I could bring the acceleration % down (maintain speed) and it would buck like crazy. Once I "throttled through it", it went away.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
my experience when I had my 2014 Forester XT (which had a different CVT).
Same CVT, different programming and revision. TR690.

ECU programming caused mine to do it twice, over 30,000 miles ago, and, as the car relearned, it never did it again.

So, you may be on to something.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I had this at lower speeds, it went away with the transmission reflash about a year ago. Unfortunately about 2 months ago it started happening again, at speeds below 30, primarily when the car is cold. Tends to be under light throttle, And it's pretty repeatable so hopefully when I go in next week they'll be able to diagnose it. It feels a little more severe now than it was before the reflash. I've never felt unsafe with the shuttering, as it doesn't occur if I'm trying to start from a dead stop, It's usually when I'm light throttle in a parking lot or on a slower road.

I have a 19 Touring, with about 14,000 mi on it now.

Skipro3, what year is yours, and did you have the reflash done once already?

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium Crystal White Pearl
118 Posts
I posted a few weeks ago that my transmission gives me a shudder or stutter feel through the car as if I was driving over the warning strip on the edge of some roads. This happened when holding speed between 50 and 60mph on the flats and then coming upon a gradual grade. It only lasts a second or 3, then settles down. Feels like it can't quite decide to down shift, that when it does, it upshifts quickly then repeats several times before I give more fuel and it finally downshifts and stays there.
I took it to the dealer who could not replicate the problem.
Yesterday I had a new problem; It was 37 degrees out, after dark and driven 5 miles at 55-60mph. I came to a stop sign, making a left hand turn. Just as the turn was completing and I was giving more throttle, the vehicle started to buck or surge. It felt like I was pumping the throttle but in actuality I was hold it steady. It did this for about 4 or 5 times; like I was loosing power, it would return, then lose it again, return for 4 or 5 cycles. It didn't repeat. My immediate thought was that I was running low on fuel but had over half a tank at the time. Then I thought the ignition was cutting out. Not an acceleration surge, but instead of loss of power buck that had my body surging forward, then back into the seat when the power returned, then forward again when the power cut out and repeat.
Anyone hear of this happening to others and if so, where I could read up on their experience?
I have the same issue too, minus the bucking, but the stutter/shudder like you're going over rumble strips happens fairly frequently. Usually at low speed as Percy mentioned. I just can't help but believe this transmission, which is a replacement of the original, isn't going to hold up in the long run. Between the chirping that is I guess normal to the shuddering at low speed, this CVT won't be a 200K mile unit. I'm hoping to just get to my extended warranty and then get rid of it before I have to incur the massive expense of CVT replacement.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This problem, I had it happen on my 2015 Forester but traded it in at 80,000 miles last year for this Ascent. I didn't buy the extended warranty this time around. When I get to 30K miles, I'll decide if I'll trade it in or buy the warranty. Most likely I'll trade it in for another Ascent. I usually put 20K to 24K a year mileage on my car, but this year only 16K since COVID reduced the number of trips I took skiing when it shut down early. This year I'm not even gonna bother with a season pass for skiing. Last year's pass is good to Dec. 20th and I've gone twice. Both times I can tell it's gonna be a zoo to get on a chair lift. No one can ride with anyone other than family members. Imagine how long that will take on chair lifts designed to take 4 and some even 6 at a time. I usually ski alone. So my mileage will really be reduced unless i find a new hobby. Ha!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,828 Posts
There are SO many good hobbies to burn your money with... :) :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sounds like my 2019. Lots of stuttering along with other things you mention. Grew worse overtime. Once it got where it happened most of the time, I took it in. Took the dealer about 15 minutes to tell me I needed a new transmission at 24,000 miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts