Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am new to the brand so a double whammy with me getting a proper introduction to Subaru. My previous SUV was a 2013 Pathfinder Platinum bought new months after release which as it happens was also a first year new generation model. I guess I am gluten for punishment for once again buying another 1st generation vehicle and 1st ever true full 3 row vehicle for Subaru. Nevertheless I made out fine with Pathfinder and was able to avoid the CVT issues that Plagued some early adopters. However this time the Subaru has been in production for a year so surely somethings have been worked out but all seem very minor and nowhere near the level of most brands in my experience. I guess it was well tested and why Subaru leads in reliability. Let me quickly say I love this SUV in only a matter of days and get why people are so passionate about this brand.

DEALER: We got her home last Wednesday and was raining pretty hard so didn’t take any pics at dealer. Big thanks to John F Kennedy Subaru in Plymouth Meeting PA and my salesperson Marie Carson for an incredible experience working an under invoice deal. She was only on the lot for short time before I took her home and has a March Build date with only 4 miles. I was first to drive her. Really lucked out on exact speck we wanted.

BUILD: We got a lot of the accessories with it some worked into deal and some I paid and waiting for parts to arrive. The cargo and seat back protector are a must. The LED lighting group makes a big difference in the interior with a nice warm bright white light and adds a touch of luxury. Also got sill plates, wheel locks, slim plate holder, all weather mats, splash guards, auto dim mirrors, cross bars, Thule cargo carrier, hitch, cargo cover, door edge guards, scuff protectors, rear bumper cover.

PROTECTION: Most important will be taking her for a full detail / paint correction / Arden ceramic Coating which will run about $1000 and 8-10 hour job but will last at least 5 years, no waxing or doing anything, and triples the protective hardness of the Subaru paint. Did this with my previous car and lasted me 6.5 years although it’s key that’s garage kept. Will still last 3-4 years without garage. Will post some before /after pics when done. Not a fan of wraps. Get one chip at 60+ mph and they will damage not worth it for over 1.5-2k Cheaper to take to body shop and spot paint as needed.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: First let me start with I finally get why Subaru fans love their cars and only days into my ownership experience. It’s an incredible value for the level of technology, quality finishes, and great styling. My first long drive with her left an immediate impression. A QUIET cabin rivaling and often better than some luxury brands I have drove or been a passenger, easy to use controls, a suite of technologies found in luxury brands costing 2 to 3 times as much, and a smooth and balanced ride that just eats up whatever the road puts forth. I found the controls relatively intuitive to use and set up the car I was able to figure out so much when the dealer left me alone for 30 minutes while finishing up some things before giving me her walk-through. I’m already regretting not joining the club a lot sooner! My wife absolutely loves this thing. The interior Java brown seats with the quality leather really makes the car pop. I really appreciate the finish combinations along the doors, and throughout the car. The exterior styling really stands out in the parking lot and abyss blue is a beautiful color.

DISLIKES: 1- the light in the cargo area is grossly inadequate. The bulb was somehow not part of the LED upgrade so I’m going to get a nice bright option to put in there. Also it seems you cannot set the cargo light to come on automatically when the trunk opens and has to be turned on manual. That’s a pain in my missing something? 2- The all weather mats on the second row leaves a big opening of carpet in the middle. Seems to be no purpose to this and will surely get dirty repeatedly. Seems like Weather Tech has this resolved 3- No 360 birds eye view camera. This was a huge plus coming from my pathfinder platinum. It made parking and perimeter check pretty easy. It would be cool if I could set the rear camera in front of you to come on automatically when I hit reverse. 4- I really wish the real lights were full LED. All the new cars have them and Subaru could’ve easily kept their DNA lighting in the LED. 5- it would be nice to have an option for some type of second row center consul for the captain chairs that incorporates cup holders maybe a cooler and pockets to hold things. Those cup holders on the floor are useless as my kids can’t really reach them without coming off their chairs. 6- The splash guards are very low profile and made me do a double take to make sure I actually got them. Since I’ve been driving around in the rain first couple of days they don’t quite do the best job of protecting and just OK. still had mud splash on the sides.

CLOSING: I have a feeling my wife and I are really going to love this car and look forward to a long ownership experience. I’m already considering getting another Subaru for my daily commuter car for work. I look forward to learning much from you all and thank you for making my initial experience with SUBARU a good one. I am getting a crash course into the Subaru culture and loving all the great people I have met online and had pleasant conversations learning about the Ascent.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Hello everyone,

I am new to the brand so a double whammy with me getting a proper introduction to Subaru. My previous SUV was a 2013 Pathfinder Platinum bought new months after release which as it happens was also a first year new generation model. I guess I am gluten for punishment for once again buying another 1st generation vehicle and 1st ever true full 3 row vehicle for Subaru. Nevertheless I made out fine with Pathfinder and was able to avoid the CVT issues that Plagued some early adopters. However this time the Subaru has been in production for a year so surely somethings have been worked out but all seem very minor and nowhere near the level of most brands in my experience. I guess it was well tested and why Subaru leads in reliability. Let me quickly say I love this SUV in only a matter of days and get why people are so passionate about this brand.

DEALER: We got her home last Wednesday and was raining pretty hard so didn’t take any pics at dealer. Big thanks to John F Kennedy Subaru in Plymouth Meeting PA and my salesperson Marie Carson for an incredible experience working an under invoice deal. She was only on the lot for short time before I took her home and has a March Build date with only 4 miles. I was first to drive her. Really lucked out on exact speck we wanted.

BUILD: We got a lot of the accessories with it some worked into deal and some I paid and waiting for parts to arrive. The cargo and seat back protector are a must. The LED lighting group makes a big difference in the interior with a nice warm bright white light and adds a touch of luxury. Also got sill plates, wheel locks, slim plate holder, all weather mats, splash guards, auto dim mirrors, cross bars, Thule cargo carrier, hitch, cargo cover, door edge guards, scuff protectors, rear bumper cover.

PROTECTION: Most important will be taking her for a full detail / paint correction / Arden ceramic Coating which will run about $1000 and 8-10 hour job but will last at least 5 years, no waxing or doing anything, and triples the protective hardness of the Subaru paint. Did this with my previous car and lasted me 6.5 years although it’s key that’s garage kept. Will still last 3-4 years without garage. Will post some before /after pics when done. Not a fan of wraps. Get one chip at 60+ mph and they will damage not worth it for over 1.5-2k Cheaper to take to body shop and spot paint as needed.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: First let me start with I finally get why Subaru fans love their cars and only days into my ownership experience. It’s an incredible value for the level of technology, quality finishes, and great styling. My first long drive with her left an immediate impression. A QUIET cabin rivaling and often better than some luxury brands I have drove or been a passenger, easy to use controls, a suite of technologies found in luxury brands costing 2 to 3 times as much, and a smooth and balanced ride that just eats up whatever the road puts forth. I found the controls relatively intuitive to use and set up the car I was able to figure out so much when the dealer left me alone for 30 minutes while finishing up some things before giving me her walk-through. I’m already regretting not joining the club a lot sooner! My wife absolutely loves this thing. The interior Java brown seats with the quality leather really makes the car pop. I really appreciate the finish combinations along the doors, and throughout the car. The exterior styling really stands out in the parking lot and abyss blue is a beautiful color.

DISLIKES: 1- the light in the cargo area is grossly inadequate. The bulb was somehow not part of the LED upgrade so I’m going to get a nice bright option to put in there. Also it seems you cannot set the cargo light to come on automatically when the trunk opens and has to be turned on manual. That’s a pain in my missing something? 2- The all weather mats on the second row leaves a big opening of carpet in the middle. Seems to be no purpose to this and will surely get dirty repeatedly. Seems like Weather Tech has this resolved 3- No 360 birds eye view camera. This was a huge plus coming from my pathfinder platinum. It made parking and perimeter check pretty easy. It would be cool if I could set the rear camera in front of you to come on automatically when I hit reverse. 4- I really wish the real lights were full LED. All the new cars have them and Subaru could’ve easily kept their DNA lighting in the LED. 5- it would be nice to have an option for some type of second row center consul for the captain chairs that incorporates cup holders maybe a cooler and pockets to hold things. Those cup holders on the floor are useless as my kids can’t really reach them without coming off their chairs. 6- The splash guards are very low profile and made me do a double take to make sure I actually got them. Since I’ve been driving around in the rain first couple of days they don’t quite do the best job of protecting and just OK. still had mud splash on the sides.

CLOSING: I have a feeling my wife and I are really going to love this car and look forward to a long ownership experience. I’m already considering getting another Subaru for my daily commuter car for work. I look forward to learning much from you all and thank you for making my initial experience with SUBARU a good one. I am getting a crash course into the Subaru culture and loving all the great people I have met online and had pleasant conversations learning about the Ascent.

Nice summary! You will continue to find a lot of "little things" you didn't know you had that are SO nice. Regarding your "dislikes" - yes, the rear cargo light can be set to automatically come on when you open the hatch. Perhaps someone else will tell you how. The dealership changed all of mine to come on when entering the vehicle.

Also, I assume you did not buy the Touring? It has an 180 degree view camera on the front grill. I use it for pulling in parking spaces and traveling down a very narrow road with on coming traffic. That gives me a better idea of where I am between the lines and how much more room I can "give" - it has the lines like a backup camera showing where you are in the road. It does time off and is not meant to be "always on"

In addition to the "back up" camera, it also has a 180 degree "rear view mirror". It's at the top of the hatch. You can flip your interior mirror between the "standard" - which gives you a view of all your head rests and "stuff" in the passenger/cargo area. When the rear view mirror is flipped to the view from the camera, you see absolutely nothing inside your vehicle and have a 180 degrees of the view behind you - that's especially nice on 4 lane highways to see what approaching that you don't see in the side mirrors.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
the light in the cargo area...cannot set the cargo light to come on automatically when the trunk opens and has to be turned on manual. That’s a pain in my missing something?
Just turn the switch to the on position. It will turn itself off once you close the lift gate (when the other lights time out and turn off).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts