Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just had the fun and excitement of changing our Ascent's first flat tire. Ran over some dang piece of metal, heard a loud noise followed immediately by the sound of the tire being totally flat. Luckily the tire change was problem free, just took a while to get the spare down and unhooked from it's little hiding place. (and my back is feeling waaaaay older than 54 yrs old right now)
Anyway, other than sharing my "fun" news, wanted to know what y'all thought of these pics as far as do you think this tire will be fixable. Kind of a nice little horseshoe chunk of metal in there, so there's 2 hole rather than one. Our nice dealership said they'd fix it for free if it's fixable, but want to brace myself for bad news if it's probably not fixable. Let me now what you think.
Thanks!
Water Automotive tire Sculpture Statue Grey
Automotive tire Water Tread Grey Artifact
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber
Water Automotive tire Sculpture Statue Grey Automotive tire Water Tread Grey Artifact Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
21 Ascent Premium, 18 Outback Ltd 2.5
396 Posts
Looks like a chain link to me, that's a bit crazy! To my untrained eye that looks like a questionable fix, but I am by no means an expert.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I measured the width of whatever the heck that is, and it looks almost exactly 1/4 inch, which is the official cutoff for repaired puntures, so at least in that respect, might be a super close call one way or another. The fact there appears to be 2 separate punctures (though can't tell for sure if both ends are full punctures, at least my eyes can't) I would guess also complicates matters, and not in a good way. I'm hoping that if the dealer says they can't fix it, maybe they've got another one just like it that has a close enough tread wear to match.
Trouble is... we've got zero $ for tires right now. :(

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Premium White (NEW!! 😍) 2015 Legacy 3.6R White (Former 😭) 2006 Subaru Impreza (Former)
85 Posts
As someone that used to manage a Costco Tire Shop for 6 years....

Sorry, that poor tire is toast.

Punctures are too big, and too close together. No way to repair that effectively or safely.

That's a really bad one.

Perhaps you can check out Discount Tire or used tires from Les Schwab? Sometimes Firestone will have them as well.

Maybe someone on this forum that is selling their setup?

Did you purchase your tires? And if you did, MAYBE you have a road hazard warranty? You may be able to get some kind of credit toward new tires.

That really sucks.. Good luck.

·
Registered
21 Ascent Premium, 18 Outback Ltd 2.5
396 Posts
You can open a Goodyear CC and get a rebate, plus I think it's zero interest. Not the best solution, but if $ is tight it may be an option. Offer ends tomorrow of course, but when I did this for my first set of Weatherready tires they sent me a number to use right away.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
As someone that used to manage a Costco Tire Shop for 6 years....

Sorry, that poor tire is toast.

Punctures are too big, and too close together. No way to repair that effectively or safely.

That's a really bad one.

Perhaps you can check out Discount Tire or used tires from Les Schwab? Sometimes Firestone will have them as well.

Maybe someone on this forum that is selling their setup?

Did you purchase your tires? And if you did, MAYBE you have a road hazard warranty? You may be able to get some kind of credit toward new tires.

That really sucks.. Good luck.
Yep, that is what road hazzard is for. DT will sell it to you for oem tires as well

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Depends on where you take it to be repaired. Big tire stores wont want the liability for a questionable repair. Small shop might attempt a repair. Personally if there are really two big punctures I would replace the tire and since they are worn and we have AWD that would mean replacing all 4 tires. Pulling the item out of the tire is the fist thing to do I have pulled things that look big on the outside to find out the bit that punctured is much smaller. Hopefully that will be the case for you.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,857 Posts
I will venture to say that you will unlikely be able to get a reputable tire shop to repair that due to the size and double puncture so close together. I know I was unable to get one fixed awhile back with damage similar in size (bolt) which is why I changed shoes at about 19K miles. So yes, it's time to select your next set of four tires.

·
Administrator
10,957 Posts
I wouldn't try having that fixed. I'd be on the phone/message with @Discount Tire about a new set of four, especially since they're running a bunch of specials right now.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I wouldn't try having that fixed. I'd be on the phone/message with @Discount Tire about a new set of four, especially since they're running a bunch of specials right now.
Yeah, that's what it's looking like. I'm at the dealer right now, expecting that the news will be bad. Since they obviously see this exact same tire day in day out, hoping maybe they'd have an extra with the same amount of wear, that would certainly be light years cheaper than a set of 4. I've reached out to Discount Tire since everyone here loves them (and there is one here in town) and they sent an initial reply, but haven't quoted me a price yet. Assuming it comes to that, would love either the Michelin Crossclimate2 or the Goodyear Assurance Weatherready, but since we've got about zero dollars right now, may have to get rock bottom just to get by and get better ones as soon as we can. We'll see. Rainy season is beginning here in Portland, so would like something good and safe obviously.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Unfortunately it's been several hours without hearing anything from Discount Tire other than "We're happy to help" and "Let's confirm your tire size" I sent them a message last night in the hopes of having some specific answers this morning. Sigh...
Oh, and the dealer just let me know what we already knew, the tire is not fixable. Sigh... Trying to scramble around and see what to do. Maybe a set of tires will fall from the sky. :p

1 - 20 of 33 Posts