Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
'19 Ascent Limited
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got a chance to finish my lamin-x film mods. Satisfied for now, might end up trying something else later on down the road. This is only my second time working with lamin-x roll, the only thing precut is the yellow fog light film.

Attachments

·
Registered
'19 Ascent Limited
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You did exactly what I've thought of doing to the rear end. I think it looks great! Did you do the entire half tail light, or just cover the chrome part? Any chance of a detail shot of the emblem area?
I did a strip to cover the chrome in the taillights. I do not have a shot of the emblem area at the moment. That was the hardest part to do and in hindsight I should have done it differently.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I did a strip to cover the chrome in the taillights. I do not have a shot of the emblem area at the moment. That was the hardest part to do and in hindsight I should have done it differently.
Thanks. I saw that Lamin-X offers film kits for the Ascent now, but I might still just do a strip of red like you did. I certainly don't want to put film over the turn signals or reverse lights. How does the yellow look coming from the fogs with white LED light coming from behind them? Does it get kind of washed out looking (pale yellow)? That's what I experienced before with incandescent bulbs behind yellow film. I had to use yellow bulbs to get richer color.

·
Registered
'19 Ascent Limited
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. I saw that Lamin-X offers film kits for the Ascent now, but I might still just do a strip of red like you did. I certainly don't want to put film over the turn signals or reverse lights. How does the yellow look coming from the fogs with white LED light coming from behind them? Does it get kind of washed out looking (pale yellow)? That's what I experienced before with incandescent bulbs behind yellow film. I had to use yellow bulbs to get richer color.
Yeah, the yellow is kinda of like the Piaa ion yellow bulbs. It's kinda washed out but I don't feel it's that horrible. Might be better if you double it up? But yellow bulbs are definitely the way to go. Btw the precut isn't perfect, it's just slightly off if you don't center it perfect. I'd just get the universal round fog light film, since the actual fog light unit is round and it would reduce the possibility of having it misaligned.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Finally got a chance to finish my lamin-x film mods. Satisfied for now, might end up trying something else later on down the road. This is only my second time working with lamin-x roll, the only thing precut is the yellow fog light film.
Did you order directly from Lamin-x? I'm online trying to do it now, and they advertise a 10% discount on every page, that doesn't work, and also says free shipping over $75 that is not applying either....waiting on contact back from them to see about it....I'm wanting to get a 15ft roll, counting on errors haha

·
Registered
'19 Ascent Limited
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did you order directly from Lamin-x? I'm online trying to do it now, and they advertise a 10% discount on every page, that doesn't work, and also says free shipping over $75 that is not applying either....waiting on contact back from them to see about it....I'm wanting to get a 15ft roll, counting on errors haha
Yup, I ordered directly from them with the 10% off.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks @93turbo2 so much for the link to the Lamin-x films; the amber looks like it may be a solution to my quandary.

My Ascent will be white, and I'd been trying to think about what I could do across the back to tone down the chrome and still be as visible as possible. (Well, without applying striped reflective tape like a utility vehicle!) Black seemed too dark, red seemed too flashy, but using their amber film to cover the chrome from tail light to tail light across the lift gate seems like a possibility.

By the way, I'd never seen blacked out lights here in Texas, and it turns out that it's not legal here.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/lighting.htm
Blackout
Any device that impairs the required effectiveness of headlamps, tail lamps, reflectors, etc is prohibited. The lights, both front and rear, are made by the manufacturer to meet this safety standard. An alternate or additional material, particularly something dark, would impair its effectiveness.

·
Registered
'19 Ascent Limited
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks @93turbo2 so much for the link to the Lamin-x films; the amber looks like it may be a solution to my quandary.

My Ascent will be white, and I'd been trying to think about what I could do across the back to tone down the chrome and still be as visible as possible. (Well, without applying striped reflective tape like a utility vehicle!) Black seemed too dark, red seemed too flashy, but using their amber film to cover the chrome from tail light to tail light across the lift gate seems like a possibility.

By the way, I'd never seen blacked out lights here in Texas, and it turns out that it's not legal here.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/lighting.htm
You can always look for a vinyl shop to wrap the chrome strip on the trunk. I chose the smoke film since my Ascent is MGM. I'm not a fan of blacking out taillights as it reduces the visability of you brake lights. I choose to use red film on the chrome section of the taillights plus theres no reflectors or lights in that section and it looks OEM.

·
Registered
20 Posts
That actually looks pretty good on the Magnetite Grey. On the ice silver it’ll have too much contrast. Gonna try the red lamin-x to complete the taillights with a light smoke vinyl for the turn signals and reverse lights. As far as the big chrome strip on the back, thinking of a color matched vinyl or leaving it as is. There’s way too much chrome on this car :/

·
Registered
'19 Ascent Limited
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I like it, but curious how it would look if you did the dark vinyl all the way across and didn't switch to the red...my poor attempt below. I would also like to have the chrome around the emblem wrapped too.

https://imgur.com/io3MZ4X

Not bad, I personally think that it looks better in red and looks OEM. I'm not a big fan of chrome as you can tell. I'm planning on leaving the rest of the chrome there just for accent, but who knows I may decide to delete all the chrome in like 6 months. Lol.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.