Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious for those who plan to finance. Subaru finance or other? Any Subaru guys/gals care to chime in with any info on if special offers are expected? If not Subaru, then who? I've used dcu.org in the past. Their current new car rate is 2.74%. I don't think I'd seen a topic on this and couldn't find it in search. Please forgive if it's been covered in depth before.

Thanks,
G~

·
Registered
357 Posts
The outback we have now we did Subaru and that is through Chase bank and has been great although they had 0% for 48 months at the time.

Although, we have always gone with our credit union always very competitive rate wise and terms that you can adjust up or down within reason, we also have been long time members there as well so that may help. I would be curious to see if Subaru will offer some special financing but I would think they may not for the first few months.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I'm willing to put money on Subaru doing 2.9 up to 60 months through Chase Bank. They won't publish a rate for 72 months.
this is what i was thinking too. seems to be the going rate for their in demand vehicles (WRX, STi, Crosstrek). I'm still gonna shop around and find a lower rate and ask the FI office to match it. If they can't I'll go with the better rate unless they are VERY close.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Touring CWP
170 Posts
Is there any benefit(to me) to financing with Subaru over my credit union if the rates are the same? Does the dealer push Subaru financing or they do not care as long as they sell the car?
I've purchased two new Subarus and each time I financed at the dealership. Each time I ended up with a loan through Bank of America even though Subaru typically uses Chase. My salesman also noted that a large percentage of Subaru buyers purchase with cash.

Go with the lower rate. Don't worry about the dealership aspect.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I've purchased two new Subarus and each time I financed at the dealership. Each time I ended up with a loan through Bank of America even though Subaru typically uses Chase. My salesman also noted that a large percentage of Subaru buyers purchase with cash.

Go with the lower rate. Don't worry about the dealership aspect.
BoA could’ve purchased the loan from Chase after it was created. That happens a lot with home loans. We had one loan that was passed along, I think, 3 or 4 times before it stuck with Wells Fargo. I honestly can’t see what the benefits are to buying and selling loans, the rates and payments don’t change for us so I don’t know what they’re getting out of it?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Is there any benefit(to me) to financing with Subaru over my credit union if the rates are the same? Does the dealer push Subaru financing or they do not care as long as they sell the car?
Generally, no. It's a disadvantage because Subaru is a middle man to financing. Get your loan pre-approved w/ the CU and utilize that rate (don't mention you have loan pre-approved) to leverage your negotiation.

·
Registered
978 Posts
BoA could’ve purchased the loan from Chase after it was created. That happens a lot with home loans. We had one loan that was passed along, I think, 3 or 4 times before it stuck with Wells Fargo. I honestly can’t see what the benefits are to buying and selling loans, the rates and payments don’t change for us so I don’t know what they’re getting out of it?
Its merely just a numbers game and a full picture of balanced risk which banks today watch very carefully post Subprime loan disaster where some banks had small teams of people issuing large bad loans then selling them off to hide that they were high risk Subprime loans etc.

Today banks are cautious about buying loans. Auto loans being the higher risk loans out there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just curious for those who plan to finance. Subaru finance or other?
I was pleasantly surprised with how financing turned out, but in my case Subaru could not match my outside options. When I arrived to take delivery, Subaru offered their published rate of 3.49%. I had done lots of research beforehand, so I knew that AAA had a lower rate. I hung in there and kept rejecting rates until the finance manager eventually offered a 2.25% at either 60 or 72 months through a bank that I had never heard of... but said they would go through my credit union if my credit union would match that rate.

And, in fact, I just learned that my credit union (in Central Florida) did pick up the loan (2.25% for 60 months) when prior to that they had told me their best rate was just 3.4%. I do have excellent credit, but I was still pleasantly surprised at how low I got the rate. It made paying just $500 off MSRP a lot more palatable!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Local dealer put me in touch with a credit union that beat the Chase rate by a fraction. Off hand I think it's 3.4 for 72. Chase would have actually made my life easier because the vehicle loan shows up right next to my credit card on chase.com.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts