Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Did you have to delete current app and install new app?

Also, I just tested by activating horn and lights. What signal is the car receiving the request on? It's not cellular as I don't have a plan for that and it's not wifi since it wouldn't know the password. So just how is the car receiving the request AND transmitting back that it was successful?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts

Also, I just tested by activating horn and lights. What signal is the car receiving the request on? It's not cellular as I don't have a plan for that and it's not wifi since it wouldn't know the password. So just how is the car receiving the request AND transmitting back that it was successful?
The app update process will automatically replace the old version with the new version.

As far as the signal, I believe the car is networked on AT&T's LTE infrastructure. This is independent of your personal wireless carrier and the available AT&T hotspot from Subaru.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
From the My Subaru app, it's cellular. You have to have the Subaru Starlink subscription for this to work. You don't need the AT&T cell service for this.

·
Registered
561 Posts
The app update process will automatically replace the old version with the new version.

As far as the signal, I believe the car is networked on AT&T's LTE infrastructure. This is independent of your personal wireless carrier and the available AT&T hotspot from Subaru.
Good to know. It must be robust because I just dropped AT&T for Verizon as ATT signal at the house was so weak as to not work for us.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Much better layout for sure.It actually loads quicker than the previous version.Kept seeing the new version in emails and was wondering when it will be available,thanks Subaru ??

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,851 Posts

The vehicle has an ATT Cellular radio that StarLink uses for all communications. The StarLink service doesn't actually work on WiFI even if you have it...only cellular. Unless you subscribe to use the "hotspot" feature, the ATT account is "on Subauru's chit" for the StarLink services you have subscribed to.

I was also concerned about signal here at our home because we live in a very specific spot that geographically blocks line-of-sight to the tower. We have to use WiFI calling at home, for example. But the Ascent's cellular radio apparently is much more sensitive than the wireless devices we carry around and it's worked flawlessly for me. In fact, I cancelled the install of the fob-based remote start and got the money back from my dealer, which in turn, more than paid for a 7 year StarLink subscription.

·
Super Moderator
2,428 Posts
A new face- update to the “My Subaru” app
You’re welcome. I reviewed the app a couple days ago and single handedly coerced them into developing an update.
meanwhile back in reality, which phone do you have? The screenshot looks small. My biggest complaint in the review was the lack of full screen. Heading to update now!

10 second later update: the app looks nice. They did listen!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Yes. Remote start usuing the My Subaru app allows setting the climate system controls including front and rear defrosters. You can also set driver and passenger seat heating levels and engine run time up to 10 minutes. That's on my Premium. IDK about controlling things like a heating steering wheel, rear heated seats etc on vehicles so equipped.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Have they given the option of not turning on the climate controls?
I don't think so. It's basically always on anyway. I read some posts detailing a sequence of button inputs needed to turn it off (as much as possible) but I don't remember what that was.

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
Have they given the option of not turning on the climate controls?
That option has been available since "Quick Start" was added to the original app, using the "Quick Start" method. On the old app, that required swiping the vehicle control bar left, and then clicking "Start" as opposed to clicking the bar on the main menu.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Oh really?? I was turned off by it and didn't really look much into it after.

Are you using Android or IOS? I'm on droid want to confirm if the Quick Start is just the "Engine Start" button that the thread starter posted.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts