Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So excited to FINALLY be test driving one today! Not sure of the trim level that we will be test driving, but I'm sure it'll just make me more anxious to get ours (current ETA of sometime in August). Both my husband and I will be test driving it (he won't let us buy a car without him test driving it too, even though it'll be my car). Hopefully our 7 month old son will cooperate to allow us both to test drive it. Otherwise, I'll drive first and hang out with him at the dealership until my husband is back.

Anything specific I should look/test for while out on the test drive?

Reactions: calimomofboys

·
Registered
235 Posts
Congrats! It's exciting to see one and test drive it to see how it lives up to all the hype and praise we read about on this forum. We were impressed with our test drive. Before I start a test drive, first, I want to make sure I can get the seat, mirrors and steering wheel where I can be comfortable and see what I can (pretending that it's my own). I'll ensure I have the climate control set to keep me comfortable as well. I don't usually mess with the radio/entertainment system until after I complete my drives. I want to be focused on how it rides, how quiet or noisy it is, or any other oddities I would not notice if I didn't do a test drive at all.

Once I start driving, I want to check on the acceleration, braking, and lane changing (sometimes a couple of slightly quicker lane changes to see how it would handle if I had to avoid something in the road). I want to know that when I press down on the GO pedal, that it really does "GO" and doesn't think about it for a second or two. I will never own a vehicle that I don't feel can safely get up to highway speed before the end of the on ramp, so I can merge safely. I observe how the car goes over bumps, dips, expansion strips, and other road imperfections as well as traveling over good roads. I listen for tire and wind noises and try to compare them to my current vehicles. I check the views from out the front, sides, and all mirrors. Hopefully, by the time I'm done test driving, the salesperson hasn't pee'd or pooped their pants. jk But really, I don't try to scare them. :) I just want to know if it's a vehicle that is safe, hopefully has a little fun factor, and one I could live with everyday.

All the other controls for radio, how the other seats feel, or anything else, I'll do once I return from the drive. Sorry, a little more lengthy than I thought, but I hope you enjoy your drive as much as we did ours.

·
Registered
74 Posts
So excited to FINALLY be test driving one today! Not sure of the trim level that we will be test driving, but I'm sure it'll just make me more anxious to get ours (current ETA of sometime in August). Both my husband and I will be test driving it (he won't let us buy a car without him test driving it too, even though it'll be my car). Hopefully our 7 month old son will cooperate to allow us both to test drive it. Otherwise, I'll drive first and hang out with him at the dealership until my husband is back.

Good response by “Big Superroo1! If you are new to Subaru make certain that you understand the features of “EyeSight”. Ask about higher trim models and additional safety features. Also think carefully about the second seating row. Captain chairs or a bench seat. My wife and I ordered without a test drive, however, a few weeks later we test drove a basic model and loved it. We are attracted to the Ascent because of all of the saftery features. Take your time on the test drive.

·
Registered
12 Posts

We did the swap out once and I told my wife that anytime after that we will just move car seats across and all take a ride. Considering we’re exactly who most of these vehicles are geared towards I figure let’s do a true test drive, even used the rear end of a Honda Odyssey to change a dirty diaper one time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts