Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We finally got a decent amount of Snow in Indiana, so I got to do a little playing around in the wife's car. I have to say the Ascent is pretty darn sure footed in the snow. Was plowing through 24" drifts with little problems. Glad we made the purchase!

·
Registered
764 Posts
We got about 8 inches of snow today and had to move about 100 cars in order to plow. We've had to do this many times over the years and its so much easier to move the row of Subarus. We eventually get everything moved but we often have to push other brands out of the snow. And don't get me started on the BRZ lol there is a reason we only sell 5 or 6 of those a year here in Utah lol

·
Registered
646 Posts
We got about 8 inches of snow today and had to move about 100 cars in order to plow. We've had to do this many times over the years and its so much easier to move the row of Subarus. We eventually get everything moved but we often have to push other brands out of the snow. And don't get me started on the BRZ lol there is a reason we only sell 5 or 6 of those a year here in Utah lol
I actually drove my brz home in 1.5 ft of snow. Once I got enough zig zagging done to get our of the uphill parking lot it wasn't horrid. I'd never volunteer to do that again though :)

·
Registered
965 Posts
don't get me started on the BRZ
We sell more than that, but ... I can't.

I mean, I seriously, physically cannot get into the car. Not with my back and neck issues. That, and I got tired of everyone laughing at me trying to get OUT of one after a test drive.

We had snow for almost a day here, twice so far. I don't miss those 24" drifts every ... single ... winter! And of course, no one that's actually from Oklahoma has a clue on how to drive when there IS any snow on the ground. I swear, you can almost hear people saying, Hey, y'all, watch this! Next thing you know, there's a flipped Chevy truck in the ditch.

Oh, from a safety perspective, we had a customer in her brand new Outback that avoided the car that wrecked ahead of her in the last ice storm, and got stopped. Then she got hit by FIVE other cars that used her car to stop. Smashed into and spun it around multiple times. Ripped the axle right out from under the car, literally tore the outside skin from the rear passenger door - but the reinforced steel rod inside the door held it closed and protected her and her baby. No injuries. Totaled a 5 day old Outback.

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
We sell more than that, but ... I can't.

I mean, I seriously, physically cannot get into the car. Not with my back and neck issues. That, and I got tired of everyone laughing at me trying to get OUT of one after a test drive.

We had snow for almost a day here, twice so far. I don't miss those 24" drifts every ... single ... winter! And of course, no one that's actually from Oklahoma has a clue on how to drive when there IS any snow on the ground. I swear, you can almost hear people saying, Hey, y'all, watch this! Next thing you know, there's a flipped Chevy truck in the ditch.

Oh, from a safety perspective, we had a customer in her brand new Outback that avoided the car that wrecked ahead of her in the last ice storm, and got stopped. Then she got hit by FIVE other cars that used her car to stop. Smashed into and spun it around multiple times. Ripped the axle right out from under the car, literally tore the outside skin from the rear passenger door - but the reinforced steel rod inside the door held it closed and protected her and her baby. No injuries. Totaled a 5 day old Outback.
WOW! I've only driven in Oklahoma last year for work. There was a serious ice storm and the way people drove was more than enough stress for the day. I don't think I could do it on a regular basis.

·
Registered
965 Posts
WOW! I've only driven in Oklahoma last year for work. There was a serious ice storm and the way people drove was more than enough stress for the day. I don't think I could do it on a regular basis.
I know the storm you're referencing. That's the thing down here, we get a lot more ice than we do snow. My daily driver is a 2007 Ford F-150 RWD - and I only had one minor spot where the back end kicked out on me when I was driving home from work that night. At 20 mph, in 2nd gear, the whole way. Saw at least four flipped cars on my way home, though.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Definitely not a foul-weather car.... BUT.....

We have someone with a BRZ doing track days at the local tracks here in Phoenix. It's a great replacement for the Masda Miatas and Honda S2000s and is actually more capable. Great little affordable track day car that isn't too expensive to run. I still like my 88 Mustang with 350hp and full suspension upgrades, but a BRZ would be nice too!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts