Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The backstory: Yesterday and today I had some pro tree work done for some dead ash trees that were too near our house for comfort...I deal with them elsewhere on the property myself, but these were too big and too close. Not a DYI for sure. As a woodworker, of course, I had my eye on a few logs to get milled...I've always enjoyed using material off the property when the opportunity to do so was there.

This one is pretty "slab-ulous" I'm thinking....

It's also staying right there in that spot until I can get it picked up by the folks that will need to cut it since it's way too big for a portable mill and way to big to be moved more than a few inches at about 40" diameter and 9'+ long. ;) The other two are fine for a portable mill, but still big and heavy. Which is what brings us to the subject of this post...the two of them were beyond too heavy for my "Big Orange Power Tool" to be able to drag to where I have logs staged for milling. What to do...what to do...?

Oh, yea...the "Big CWP Power Tool" :D The Ascent pulled those likely two and a half thousand pound logs, 32" x 12' across the lawn, up the driveway and around the bend to "the spot" without slipping a tire even once with X-mode engaged. 'Wasn't sure it was needed, but the grass was slick from the overnight rain Sunday into Monday. It was entertaining to watch the dash display when I could glance at it. The tow strap for my big skidding tongs went through the recovery shackle in the hitch receiver and those logs "surfed" very nicely, both on grass and on pavement. Sadly, I forgot to take a photo when things were still hooked up but here they are at the end of their several hundred foot journey.

In case you're not familiar with skidding tongs...the pointing things poke into the log when the tension on the tow strap is taken up.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Probably not exactly what the engineers had in mind for x-mode, but it's a genius idea on your part.... If you're ever in Western Mass, I've got a couple of trees......

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
803 Posts
Those are some nice logs Jim! It's good you are able to harvest some of the wood for a higher purpose than just fire wood. Sad to see those old timers taken out by an invasive bug though. Great idea to put the subi to work hauling the smaller ones.

Those Kubotas are pretty handy around the farm, I had B2620 then gave it to my sister for her horse farm when I sold my farm last year. A really handy accessory is a pair of clamp on pallette forks for moving stuff that won't fit in the bucket.

Thanks for sharing this!

·
Super Moderator
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spark', it's incredibly sad how many trees we've lost over the last few years...and that's on top of what came down when the required new septic system went in after we bought the place in Nov 1999. I had a lot of the "septic" trees milled back then and am finally down to the "Dregs" of over 3500 board feet of Poplar and Walnut. There was a second round about ten years ago, mostly poplar. Unfortunately, most of the recent dead-outs are not really appropriate for lumber, but I do cut up what's not in the actual woods and put it by the road for folks who use wood for heating. Ash is excellent for that because it will burn even green. Of course, I'm not personally a fan of burning wood for heat from a climate perspective, but I dislike leaving the stuff to rot even more.

Percy, you're correct that the Subaru engineers didn't likely anticipate the Ascent for "rough country" transport of logs. :) :D

Gary, I"ve had the BX22 since about 2003 and it's paid for itself many times over. Even though it's only 23 horse, it works hard and I've been able to get a lot of things done on our almost 4 acres that otherwise would have been "not fun" or worse, "really expensive".

Reactions: latapx and GaryInMI

·
Registered
456 Posts
Great work, Jim! What do you make with all that wood?

Can we try NOT to talk about tractors here though? Lol. I've already got the bug bad enough and am really wanting but it's hard to justify the cost and I've no where to store it yet. Something like a L 25hp would be perfect I think since I already have a nice ZT mower.

·
Super Moderator
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dj, I was a very long time "avocational" woodworker; primarily furniture (Nakashima and Thos Moser inspired) and some other things. I also took some commissions on high-end tack trunks (equestrians). When I retired from full time work on 1 October 2017, I decided to formalize a business (part time) to legitimize the furniture and trunk commissions and to be able to take on some sub-contract work. I also bought a CNC machine which as really kicked things up a notch in that respect. I actually prefer the subcontract work over dealing directly with end-customers for a variety of reasons. :) As of late, I've been building some electric guitars as a "hobby" within the woodworking realm.This is where the toys live...

On the tractors...they can be enormously useful tools to have. I originally did have a mower deck for mine, but bought a ZTR in 2005 and never looked back. My Kubota BX-22 is 23hp and great for helping to manage our small property. These small diesels "run forever" and the machines are easy to maintain. With one small exception, all of the maintenance on my tractor over the years has been replacing hydraulic hoses which do degrade over time as an expected outcome. I have about 900 hours on it over time now and unless our next property is in-town and much smaller, I expect I'll be using it for a lot more hours. If not, someone else will be using it for a long time.

Reactions: latapx

·
Administrator
795 Posts
What? No picture of your
in action?

Drats. 😁

Reactions: Jim_in_PA

·
Super Moderator
3,907 Posts
It was very uncharacteristic of me to NOT take a photo...or seven...just ask Professor Dr. SWMBO... I failed in my paparazzi duty yesterday. I am ashamed.

·
Super Moderator
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just as a follow-up, I tried to move that big one about a foot using the Ascent to make rolling it easier, but no joy. I had to "horse it around" with the tractor to get it by the stump so I could roll it over to the staging area with the other logs. The combination of being on a hill and all that dead weight grabbing the ground just was too much for the Subaru to budge. Maybe I could have done it with the JGC I owned previously that had low range, but maybe not.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Dude, forget about your X-mode ... lol ... I want to see more of your tractor and shop in action

·
Administrator
795 Posts
So..... Jim, did you drive the tractor across the tracks to its new home yet? 😇😈

·
Super Moderator
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So..... Jim, did you drive the tractor across the tracks to its new home yet? 😇😈
The BOPT (Big Orange Power Tool) is still at the old property as it's still needed there for a few things. I will move it in the next few weeks probably, but there's no hurry as we don't yet have a buyer for the old property. Despite the "hot" market, it's a unique property and we don't yet have the right buyer. When it's time, I"m going to coordinate with moving the last machine that's still there...my Stubby 750 lathe, which is largely disassembled, but the larger components are still uber-heavy. So I"ll get the 6x12 UHaul with a ramp first, use the BOPT to load the lathe parts onto my utility trailer, take the BOPT over to the new property and return the UHaul, pick up my trailer with the machine from the old property and then using the orange beast to unload it here almost directly into the shop. (tight quarters may require some creativity)

----

Trey, the Kubota has give me over 17 years of great service...it's a remarkable little machine. The only maintenance I've had to deal with over the years, outside of normal fluid changes and lubrication, is changing hydraulic hoses that degrade from time and weather. It's paid for itself multiple times over for sure. I really don't need it here at the new place long term, but will keep it until after my new shop building goes up as I can use it for a lot of grunt work to prepare and restore the ground, etc. I will likely sell it at that point because it's kinda not a great thing for such a good machine to just sit around unused.

Reactions: Trey T and HeyChris

·
Super Moderator
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dibs when you’re done with it!
Deal!! I'll want it to have a good home so selling to someone I "know" is a nice thing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts