Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - I haven't bought a Subaru before, but I am picking up my Ascent tomorrow. It has already been negotiated and the extras I got were put on this week.
What can I expect to be offered while trying to complete the sale -- Extended warranty? Other stuff? And/or, is this dealer dependent? And, is there anything worth considering? While buying my last Honda, my answer to extended warranty was "no thank you, that is why I'm buying a Honda." Being a new model is there a prevailing sense for reliability of the Ascent?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Every dealer is different. Buy what you find value in and don't buy the things you don't value.

Biggest thing is just watch out for hidden fees and anything that has been added in to the final number you agreed upon.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I just purchased, and first Subaru as well.

You will likely be offered a varying set of packages, including everything from a combination of items that include extended warranty, prepaid maintenance, credit insurance, gap insurance, etc down to just the extended warranty and several combinations in between. They may try and only show you the impact on the payment, but of course, you want to know how much the total price of any of the packages is, rather than just the impact on payment (again, if you have interest in knowing)

In case you are not aware, you can add Gap coverage through most auto insurers for the term of your current insurance policy (usually annual or 6 months) for a lot less than paying for it with whomever is financing the loan, etc. Your insurer may also have an option for "new car replacement" that you can check into. I'm not advocating for it, just making you aware that instead of paying several hundred dollars for it, you can just pay a very minimal amount on your insurance policy for it and then drop it if/when you feel you no longer need it. The only time I'd think someone would consider it is if they finance 100% of the vehicle along with sales tax, etc, and there is concern of being upside down if the vehicle were to be totaled out.

I personally would never consider credit insurance, or anything like that.

If you have any interest in the extended warranty, check to see if the warranty they are quoting is a 3rd party or a direct from Subaru extended warranty. They likely have both available (3rd party and Subaru), but may not quote you the Subaru first party unless you ask because the dealership likely makes more on the 3rd party coverage. There are various lengths of extended warranty (mileage, years, and potentially deductible per repair).

·
Registered
96 Posts
No, there is nothing they can offer that is worth considering buying on the spot.

Too many folks come on here after the fact and found they bought stuff they really didn't need or paid too much.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hello - I haven't bought a Subaru before, but I am picking up my Ascent tomorrow. It has already been negotiated and the extras I got were put on this week.
What can I expect to be offered while trying to complete the sale -- Extended warranty? Other stuff? And/or, is this dealer dependent? And, is there anything worth considering? While buying my last Honda, my answer to extended warranty was "no thank you, that is why I'm buying a Honda." Being a new model is there a prevailing sense for reliability of the Ascent?
As an old Consumer Reports guy, I never buy extended warranties for anything. They are a profit making ploy for businesses. But I may consider buying one for the new ascent from "LUKE" (see other threads) Stamford, Ct Subaru dealership - only when I am at the end of my third year of ownership. I do not care if I pay a little more for the policy then. We have bumper to bumper warranty for the first 36 months, why duplicate it unnecessarily, at such a cost. Personally, we will buy nothing at the dealership, but the car and accessories....

·
Registered
86 Posts
As an old Consumer Reports guy, I never buy extended warranties for anything. They are a profit making ploy for businesses. But I may consider buying one for the new ascent from "LUKE" (see other threads) Stamford, Ct Subaru dealership - only when I am at the end of my third year of ownership. I do not care if I pay a little more for the policy then. We have bumper to bumper warranty for the first 36 months, why duplicate it unnecessarily, at such a cost. Personally, we will buy nothing at the dealership, but the car and accessories....
It seems silly to buy a warranty that doesn't start for 3 years and try to ballpark today how many miles you'll have on it by then.
If you buy a warranty that suits your current usage and then a year from now life changes and you eat up 6 years worth of miles in 3 years then your extended warranty could be over before your base warranty runs out!

·
Registered
118 Posts
It seems silly to buy a warranty that doesn't start for 3 years and try to ballpark today how many miles you'll have on it by then.
If you buy a warranty that suits your current usage and then a year from now life changes and you eat up 6 years worth of miles in 3 years then your extended warranty could be over before your base warranty runs out!

Not really. The 3 year, 36000 is up when you hit either 36,000 or 3 years, whichever comes first.

I get what you are saying, and understand, but just clarifying that if you are going to do high mileage, the provided warranty will be up well before 3 years. Now, if you don't know what kind of mileage, etc then I understand gauging that.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I was offered nothing but a free crappy Subaru water bottle and key ring and that's why i'll buy from that dealer again.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Was offered to purchase an extended warranty, but finance guy only asked once and didn't pressure us when we declined. Then we got the key ring with the salesman's phone number on it. :smile:

Reactions: WebSnyper

·
Registered
19 Posts
My finance guy tried to sell me a dealer maintenance package by drawing out a bunch of cr#p on white paper. He saw a family of four who keeps vehicles almost 20 years and saw $$$. I almost felt sorry for him. I was actually considering a 100K warranty and possibly a paint protective coating. Didn't get offered any Subaru offers. No gold, no layout of options, just some hot shot finance guy drawing, DRAWING, out pictures of car parts and listing that would be covered. There is no rush to buy, but I hope you get more options than I did!

·
Registered
8 Posts
We was picking up our car today and my finance guy also tried to sell me a dealer 6 yr maintenance package for $1249 and we declined.

I am not sure we need it or not.

Did anyone know how can we get good price for a dealer maintenance service?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I found the best way to get a deal when I bought my last Toyota was to say NO a lot, no undercoating, no extended warranty, no spill guard on the interior etc. By the time he was trying to sell me the maintenance (and I said no to that as well) he lowered the price two times before throwing it in at cost (I'm sure I still got screwed). Might make it a good deal, might not. But for 5 years it will be dealer serviced, for what that's worth. At the least it feels like your chances of having everything covered under warranty should be good.

What you need to know is what a normal oil change is worth, and how often that will need done. Didn't realize a new Rav4 would only get an oil change every 16,000km, but I still have to take it in for a "service" every 8,000km - so they can give it a once over and try to up sell crap you don't really need like tire rotations and cabin air filters. So when I buy my new Ascent I'll be making a much more informed decision.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I found the best way to get a deal when I bought my last Toyota was to say NO a lot, no undercoating, no extended warranty, no spill guard on the interior etc. By the time he was trying to sell me the maintenance (and I said no to that as well) he lowered the price two times before throwing it in at cost (I'm sure I still got screwed). Might make it a good deal, might not. But for 5 years it will be dealer serviced, for what that's worth. At the least it feels like your chances of having everything covered under warranty should be good.

What you need to know is what a normal oil change is worth, and how often that will need done. Didn't realize a new Rav4 would only get an oil change every 16,000km, but I still have to take it in for a "service" every 8,000km - so they can give it a once over and try to up sell crap you don't really need like tire rotations and cabin air filters. So when I buy my new Ascent I'll be making a much more informed decision.
I read several other threads where people were reluctant to say "NO" to the offerings as they proceed with the financing process. I get a sense that a lot of people tries to be nice for the wrong reasons. I often tell people that they don't have to be nice to people all the time, particularly in the realm of professionalism (where people conduct business). However, we have to conduct our business in a meaningful way, be honest to ourselves. If we're reluctant to say no to the finance manager, that means that the zero cost benefit (or insignificant benefit) will be a strain to our financial management (i.e. the dealer benefit more than us).

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
well, what extras did you end up with?

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring Brilliant Bronze
104 Posts
I had one dealer (GM actually) pitch to me "Buyers fall into 2 categories: those that purchase the maximum extended warranty, and those that purchase the smaller extended warranty." They then proudly displayed the warranty packages and their costs.

I said "Well, there is a 3rd category you did not mention: Those that do not purchase a warranty."

I believe with the Subaru extended warranties, you have the 3 years or 36k miles (whichever comes first) to purchase one. Hence, take your time, shop around for the warranties at various dealerships, and if you decide to get it later, go for it. It may vary on the state, but you don't have to get the extended warranty at the dealership you purchased the vehicle from. You can get it from another dealership and your dealership should honor it. When I got my '18 Outback they were offering me if memory serves a warranty that cost in the $2500 range. Doing research on forums like this, the same package from another dealership, at the time, was around the $1800 range. Do your homework, frequent forums like these to stay current on issues, and if you decide later ... go for it.

Otherwise, all that you are obligated for is the negotiated price, taxes, dealer fees, title fees. Then bring your check (personal or loan from bank) - done.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I had one dealer (GM actually) pitch to me "Buyers fall into 2 categories: those that purchase the maximum extended warranty, and those that purchase the smaller extended warranty." They then proudly displayed the warranty packages and their costs.

I said "Well, there is a 3rd category you did not mention: Those that do not purchase a warranty."

I believe with the Subaru extended warranties, you have the 3 years or 36k miles (whichever comes first) to purchase one. Hence, take your time, shop around for the warranties at various dealerships, and if you decide to get it later, go for it. It may vary on the state, but you don't have to get the extended warranty at the dealership you purchased the vehicle from. You can get it from another dealership and your dealership should honor it. When I got my '18 Outback they were offering me if memory serves a warranty that cost in the $2500 range. Doing research on forums like this, the same package from another dealership, at the time, was around the $1800 range. Do your homework, frequent forums like these to stay current on issues, and if you decide later ... go for it.

Otherwise, all that you are obligated for is the negotiated price, taxes, dealer fees, title fees. Then bring your check (personal or loan from bank) - done.
I saved $1800 on my extended warranty by shopping around. I purchased it over the phone at 30,000 miles from a dealer I never visited.

·
Registered
2020 Touring
25 Posts
Here is how I handle the ugly financing process. I politely tell the finance person that I do not keep cars very long and do not want to add anything. While that is true for me, anyone can say it to avoid the pressure. That still leaves them with offers for gap coverage or even life insurance. I recommend gap coverage if you need it, but get it from your auto insurer, it is dirt cheap there. Any other type of insurance should be discussed with an insurance agent, not a car dealer!

As others have said here, you can get better deals on many of the things they try to sell you. Also remember the finance person is typically paid on commission to sell the stuff, so they are just doing their job as unpleasant as it may be.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.