Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally saw my first Ascent in the wild (at New York Deli News for my fellow Denver-ites), and got a chance to talk with the owner...overall the feedback was not totally awesome. I am looking for some second options.

1. AVH- She told me that she HATES this feature. That you really need hit mash on the gas peddle for the car to start moving again. And makes it difficult to pull into her garage. (Though I would think this is more of an Eyesight issue)

2. LKA- She said it is WAYYYYYY to aggressive and sensitive. If the vehicle senses you are drifting, it seems to over correct and freaks her out.

3. Dimensions- This is the big one to me. See said that the actual size of the Ascent is much bigger than the numbers that Subaru released. She told me it barley fits in her garage. Where her previous Pilot had plenty of room (don't know what year the Pilot was).

This conversation happened has we were both walking into a restaurant for lunch. She actually ran into my wife at the bathroom later, and stated that she felt that she scared us a little. And over all they to really do like the Ascent.

I know that AVH and the LKA have both been discussed on the Forum. And I'll need to form my own option, but the dimensions thing really worries me. Any chance someone would want to try and actually measure the length of their Ascent? I know that is certainly easier said than done...to get it precise. My 03 Taco is 203" long and I don't have much garage space to spare.

Thanks guys...you're the best!:smile:

·
Registered
646 Posts
So I finally saw my first Ascent in the wild (at New York Deli News for my fellow Denver-ites), and got a chance to talk with the owner...overall the feedback was not totally awesome. I am looking for some second options.

1. AVH- She told me that she HATES this feature. That you really need hit mash on the gas peddle for the car to start moving again. And makes it difficult to pull into her garage. (Though I would think this is more of an Eyesight issue)
AVH only engages when you come to a stop and then push the pedal further. I love this. Think manual hill assist. She's not using AVH pulling into the garage and it takes almost zero pedal to undo

2. LKA- She said it is WAYYYYYY to aggressive and sensitive. If the vehicle senses you are drifting, it seems to over correct and freaks her out.
She probably rides the line on one side or the other. LKA wants you centered in the lane and may push against you if you ride one side or the other.

3. Dimensions- This is the big one to me. See said that the actual size of the Ascent is much bigger than the numbers that Subaru released. She told me it barley fits in her garage. Where her previous Pilot had plenty of room (don't know what year the Pilot was).

This conversation happened has we were both walking into a restaurant for lunch. She actually ran into my wife at the bathroom later, and stated that she felt that she scared us a little. And over all they to really do like the Ascent.

I know that AVH and the LKA have both been discussed on the Forum. And I'll need to form my own option, but the dimensions thing really worries me. Any chance someone would want to try and actually measure the length of their Ascent? I know that is certainly easier said than done...to get it precise. My 03 Taco is 203" long and I don't have much garage space to spare.

The size seems spot on to me. It's big but it's as big as advertised. Not sure how to measure any more accurate than Subaru.

·
Registered
240 Posts
If she hates it... why not turn it off? Its just a press of a button.

Honestly, I have not turned it on yet. I don't see the issue with leaving my foot on the brake, or the advantage of taking it off.

And now that she mentions how difficult it makes garage parking, I'm even less likely to use it!

It takes a little getting used to. My biggest issue is when driving on a highway at high speed thru some tight turns... I'm pretty sure it activates every time. It definitely doesn't let me hug the left side of the lane as I apparently always have. Construction zones with temporary lane shifts can also mess with it. But overall, I really appreciate the feature, there are many times it will come in handy. Just be sure to keep both hands on the wheel. It does correct quickly, and is not meant to make it a driverless vehicle.

I've got a barely 2 car garage. I was pleasantly surprised when we were able to get both my Ascent and my wife's Mazda 6 in there together. Yes, its tight.... but with Western NY winters, we both really want to be in the garage, and we found a way to make it work.

Reactions: imalittle1

·
Registered
21 Posts
I love the AVH! It's one of my favorite features about the car. My Ascent doesnt fit in our garage, but my house is also from the 1950s. I haven't done enough highway driving to really use the lane assist. This car has been one of my favorites to drive.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Coming from the Tacoma, the Ascent is definitely not as long. It sounds like she's not used to a bigger vehicle. The Ascent is so much more nimble and car feeling than my Tacoma.

The dimensions are accurate on Subaru's website.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, thanks everyone!

This was my first time talking with someone who owns it, and I think I was expecting her face to light up and begin the praises when I asked her about it. That is not what happened so it kind of knocked me back a bit. In theory, I get mine this Saturday (8/25)!!!! Can't wait to find out for myself.

·
Registered
275 Posts

1. AVH is excellent. My experience with it is the exact opposite. It disengages quite easily as sometimes when I simply rest my foot on the gas peddle, I accidentally disengage the AVH. Therefore, now I make sure to not rest my foot on the gas peddle.

Reactions: cjkenton

·
Registered
240 Posts
I finally tried out the AVH on my way into work this morning. Interesting concept. I may start using it more. It certainly didn't appear to be the big deal that it was made out to be.

·
Registered
932 Posts
If you're using ACC and it goes into AVH because you go to a stop, you can also use RES button and you don't have to hit the gas, right?

Will be my first time with this car.

That being said, I hope the dimensions are accurate as our 2-car driveway will be kind of tight with side-by-side Honda Pilot & Subaru Ascent... :)

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
@cjkenton, the size of the Ascent (197" L x 76" W) won't bother you unless it is sharing a garage with another good size vehicle. My Ridgeline (210" L x 79" W), same width as the Pilot, shares the space in my two car garage with my wife's Camry (189" L x 72" W). It is a tight fit. I have to back the Ridgeline into the garage so the space between the two vehicles in maximized.

We thought about the purchasing the new Ascent, because I (that implies my wife does not love SUV's) love the vehicle and have been scoping it out since it was first mentioned. With the 4" greater width than the Camry it would never have fit in the garage with the Ridgeline, without the doors hitting each other upon entry/exit. We opted for a 2018 Outback (190" L x 72" W) instead as it is only 1" longer than the Camry.

You will enjoy the Ascent, it looks and performs like a luxury vehicle. Enjoy!! It's almost in your driveway!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yes, it sounds like she is not used to that size of a vehicle and has not been shown how to use all the features.

AVH, as others have mentioned, it can be turned off if you don't like it. Other than that, play around with it a bit, unless you are jamming down on the brake, AVH doesn't engage. If it does engage, disengaging it is as easy as pressing the brake pedal again or pressing the accelerator.

I can understand that people are coming from smaller cars and the Ascent feels like a much larger vehicle. But is really isn't that big. It is just a matter of getting used to it. It is not Tahoe, or Expedition sized or even the size of a full sized pick up. I could park my Sequoia in my two car garage without a problem. It is a matter of perspective, but in the scheme of things, it is a mid sized suv.

For comparison, here is Pearl and my old Sequoia.

Attachments

·
Registered
646 Posts
If you're using ACC and it goes into AVH because you go to a stop, you can also use RES button and you don't have to hit the gas, right?

Will be my first time with this car.

That being said, I hope the dimensions are accurate as our 2-car driveway will be kind of tight with side-by-side Honda Pilot & Subaru Ascent... :)
My experience with ACC has been that it will go to "Hold" or "Ready Hold" and not engage the AVH. Essentially it is doing the same thing that the AVH is doing but the green ring does not illuminate.
If ACC stops the car then yes you can either tap the gas or hit resume on the cruise control and the car will accelerate from 0 to whatever you're set or whatever the vehicle in front of you is traveling. If you stop the car and engage AVH then resume on the cruise control will do nothing.

So long post short ACC and AVH are separate but ACC will basically engage AVH but it is a separate function/light on the dash.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Turn AVH and LKA off if you don't like it. The numbers are the numbers. I thought compared to my Outback it was a little bigger but not to much. I test drove mine before I bought it and see how it fit in my garage. It fit fine and have the standard 2 car layout. Sounds like she had to complain about something!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds like she had to complain about something!
Honestly, that's what I thought. Maybe I just caught her at the wrong time....Your dealer let you test drive the Ascent to your own house and park in your garage? That's awesome!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Honestly, that's what I thought. Maybe I just caught her at the wrong time....Your dealer let you test drive the Ascent to your own house and park in your garage? That's awesome!
Yep, My wife and took it for about a hour. I had to make sure it fit in my garage plus I wanted to get a better feel for the way it drives and power etc....

·
Registered
210 Posts
I park one car facing forward so my “center lane” is more open. The ascent is definitely longer than my old Highlander but it still fits reasonably well. I tried to attach a photo but I don’t think it worked.

That is what we do, one forward and one backed it. I back in the Ascent...because, I mean really, how easy can it be, just line up the solid line with the dashed lines :tango_face_wink:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts