Subaru Ascent Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Thanks packout, ok so above is just for starlink. For the Subaru app... are there any costs involved to make that system remote start? and what else can the subaru app do aside of remote starting the engine?
locate, lock, unlock, remote start, horn and lights, speed alerts, curfew alerts, boundary alerts

·
Registered
704 Posts
...as long as your Ascent is in ATT cell coverage and your device has internet connectivity (cell, wifi, wired). With those conditions met, you can be across the country from the Ascent and still access it.

The stand-alone remote start option is not dependent on cell networks or the internet. It works directly via RF and has limited range.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
...as long as your Ascent is in ATT cell coverage and your device has internet connectivity (cell, wifi, wired). With those conditions met, you can be across the country from the Ascent and still access it.

The stand-alone remote start option is not dependent on cell networks or the internet. It works directly via RF and has limited range.
As my private helicopter is landing I start my Ascent so it is primed and ready to go for me. ;)

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,736 Posts
Just to confirm my understanding of this.. without the remote start option installed by Subaru, you can remote start your Ascent by Starlink (if you are a paid subscriber) or by the Subaru app?
Yes, but your vehicle must be equipped with the push button start, etc...and to clarify you remote start WITH the MySubaru app, not the old "Starlink" app. The service is also called Starlink and that's what you subscribe to. But you need to see if it's available in your Canadian geography or not.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Yes, but your vehicle must be equipped with the push button start, etc...and to clarify you remote start WITH the MySubaru app, not the old "Starlink" app. The service is also called Starlink and that's what you subscribe to. But you need to see if it's available in your Canadian geography or not.
good point in regard to the push button feature.

They do not make this easy do they? Whatever the process, Subaru ought to be able to explain it within one sentence so there is no need for clarifications from anyone. Anything less than that and they are failing to communicate by my definition.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Ok I'm a little confused now... yes Starlink is available in Canada. However not sure I want to subscribe to it.. so the Subaru app works just fine? if so I think I'm fine with that.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Ok I'm a little confused now... yes Starlink is available in Canada. However not sure I want to subscribe to it.. so the Subaru app works just fine? if so I think I'm fine with that.
I think you need both the push button start feature on your trim and starlink security plus plan subscription to remote start with the phone (see remote start link below). My suggestion is to go for the security plus (unless Canada has some weird difference in features- restrictions). IMO - you just paid a ton of cash for four wheels under a hunk of metal, the subscription will make your experience safer and more enjoyable each and everyday. Over the term of the contract, the additional dollars will not be an issue. If you ever do need the security features, one use will obviously pay for itself. The other features are icing on the cake. Treat yourself.(y)

When I used the remote start on my Limited I did not have to scrape my vehicle windshield once all winter. My windows only needed a quick wipe and my seat was already toasty. Alternatively in the summer, the interior heat build up was dissipated with my remote start ten minutes ahead of entering.

starlink subscription explained
&
starlink/my subaru activation

remote start explained (older version but still relevant) - using the fob
I would not want this because through the phone I can adjust the settings at will through the phone.

My subaru app
remote start

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
You need to use the MySubaru application not the StarLink application, just to be clear. And it's good that you can get the service. The remote start works great and since it's smartphone based, you have more control over things like HVAC settings when you are remote starting. Fob systems are "on or off" and typically just default HVAC to whatever it was previously with no ability to change it unless you're in the vehicle. The app also supports the heated seats.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
You need to use the MySubaru application not the StarLink application, just to be clear. And it's good that you can get the service. The remote start works great and since it's smartphone based, you have more control over things like HVAC settings when you are remote starting. Fob systems are "on or off" and typically just default HVAC to whatever it was previously with no ability to change it unless you're in the vehicle. The app also supports the heated seats.
this is all true, but while you do not need the starlink app (useless), you do need the starlink security plus subscription. Two entirely different beasts unfortunately sharing the same surname.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Ok perfect, good links packout thanks. So this means if I want this service I need to avoid the base convenience trim. In the Canada the next trim level up is the touring and that has push button start.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Ok perfect, good links packout thanks. So this means if I want this service I need to avoid the base convenience trim. In the Canada the next trim level up is the touring and that has push button start.
I believe so. I know one of our nations has the trim nomenclature reversed ;) (try and figure out the reasoning on that and you will win the large stuffed animal). In any case you will need the push button start, which on its own I never had before and love it. I hate carrying keys in the pocket. By the way I suggest you check out the silicone fob covers that are available and posted about in this forum. They work well to protect the fob from accidental button touches.

I just checked the Canadian site and yes you are correct all trims levels above the basic (convenience) offer the push button start.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
this is all true, but while you do not need the starlink app (useless), you do need the starlink security plus subscription. Two entirely different beasts unfortunately sharing the same surname.
I already mentioned that in a previous post.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts