Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone who has the Starlink remote start, what is your opinion of it? I am trying to decided if I should get that, or have the remote start module installed in the car.

The downside of the fob is another fob to carry. Plus you can't set the temp with it, and I never remember to set it before leaving the car.

I like the idea of being able to remote start the car using an app, because I am almost never without my phone and I don't need the second fob. I also like that I can set the temperature and toggle the heated seats via the app as well, handy in the cold NY winters.

What worries me is the performance. I had Jeep's Uconnect version for a few months free when I bought the car and it was SOOO slow. From the time I pushed start in the app, until the Jeep actually turned on, was close to 5 mins on average. One time, I gave up waiting thinking the signal failed and went back into the house. It started a few minutes later.

So wondering what is the typical delay with Subaru's implementation? I live in a populated area with good cell coverage, so I don't think single strength would be too much of a concern. Any other advice if its worth it or not is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
7,135 Posts
Starlink vs FOB

If you're getting pushbutton start, and don't have crazy distances in mind, the remote fob based start option will work from your regular car fob (as well as from the dedicated fobs).

Both systems work well ("Starlink" app start and FOB based start). I have both.

FOBS: Other than to test them, I never use the long range FOBs. Most of my starting is done via the FOB. The climate system will return to whatever the last settings were.

APP: "Starlink" remote start (MySubaru app or website actually), works well, and allows you to do more than the FOB will, but takes extra steps, including entering in a four digit confirmation code for security purposes.

App based "Starlink" remote start takes under a minute at the longest I've ever seen, but requires a connection to both the car and the smart device (eg: smartphone or tablet or PC), and an ongoing Subscription to Starlink Safety Plus. You MUST have a pushbutton start enabled Ascent for app based remote start.

Here's details on the various remote start options, including part numbers and requirements:

Here's two discussions about Remote Start that you may find helpful:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, Robert. If 1 minute is long, thats pretty good performance in my mind. Since you have both, which do you find yourself using the most?

·
Super Moderator
7,135 Posts
Thanks for the reply, Robert. If 1 minute is long, thats pretty good performance in my mind. Since you have both, which do you find yourself using the most?
85/15 FOB (regular) vs app.

My ac is always on, and at the same setting, so no need for the app most of the time, but it does come in handy some days, and I expect it will be more handy during the winter and late fall.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I counted one time to see how long it took from when I pressed the button in the app as I was walking out of work and it was ~12 seconds on that try. It will vary a good amount I'm sure with servers, cell networks, random latency, etc.

I like StarLink (MySubaru), app is nice with a lot of features. I think some widgets would be good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I live in Wisconsin and paid the extra to have the app sevice for winters alone. My remote start takes 10 seconds and i can set temp, defogger, seat warmers and mirrors. I dont see myself using the other features but the remote start is very nice and quick

·
Registered
43 Posts
The app works fine if you're sitting in an office or your living room where you have a good internet connection, and it does have some nice features.However, it does require an internet connection. If you frequently go to areas with poor cellular service or no cellular service, consider having the module installed. It doesn't depend on the cellular network.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m an Ascent owner who has the app that has the remote start feature. I will state up front it’s really nice that the feature is free. With that feature being free, I have to understand that there are limitations.

I have two tiny kids and am generally distracted and busy coming and going to the car and it is immensely clunky to actually get the car started remotely using the app.

You have to pick up your phone, login, press the remote start option, confirm your automatic settings for the car like temps and fan speeds, confirm your delay to start, then enter your pin. It’s just way too many screens to be convenient. It would be nice if I could just push a button and the car starts. The fob to me makes more sense from an convenience factor. That said this feature is FREE and I really should get over myself and quit bitching.

But that’s the reality of the app versus fob in a nutshell. I think it’s really cool and the options for interior controls are great through the app but I’d be lying if I said it’s as convenient as the fob. Sometimes if your closer to the car it will take more time to start the car through the app than just hopping in and starting it manually

·
Registered
227 Posts
I dont really see a huge benefit to the FOB (in my case). You pretty much have to already be walking to your car, or be residing within range of it, to get it started. What does that give you... a 15-20 second head start vs climbing into it? I guess this works well in your driveway, but not so much when you're "out".

I'm looking forward to using the app in the winter when its bitter cold outside, and I've got a long walk to my car, and climbing into a nice, already-warm car. I couldn't do that with the fob.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I’m an Ascent owner who has the app that has the remote start feature. I will state up front it’s really nice that the feature is free. With that feature being free, I have to understand that there are limitations.
Its only free for 6 months. If you sign up before the trial ends, you can get it for $75 total for the first 3 years. Otherwise, you are paying $75/year for the feature.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Will the STARLINK app works if your car is parked in a indoor garage ? Does it uses satellite or cell signal?
The communication will work if it has AT&T cell service (lock/unlock, start, honk/horn, vehicle data, etc.). It uses at least GNSS (satellite) for the locate feature, but likely also cell based assistance; even in garages the GNSS signal can get in and work fairly well (but with bigger error), depending on the construction and environment. Underground garages and multistory garages can be worse, but again depends on construction and lots of factors.

·
Registered
120 Posts
So far I prefer the fob. Quicker and easier to do. I think the FOB timeout is longer (15 minutes?).

We were on a road trip with the dog and it was very hot, we had to leave the car running with the AC on (sorry this is just reality off traveling with dog in the summer in the car) and 10 minutes just doesn't cut it sometimes.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've been using the app to start the car, which has been very nice. The actual communication is a lot quicker than our Hyundai, but there's a LOT of clicking to get it done. Wish I could just hit START and my pin. You have to log in (which is saved, if you choose to) then click remote services, then vehicle start, then choose your settings (which stay the same as the last time you used it) then Start, then choose the delay, then your PIN code. That's 10 taps, which could be brought down to 5 or so.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I left my Ascent in a Stay Park and Fly arrangement in Minneapolis last weekend with the -20 temps over the past week I thought it would be good to start it let it idle a few times over the week. I started it on Sunday from the ship and it acknowledged it was started and running. I did it again on Tuesday and email indicated it started and ran for the 10 minutes. Today(Friday), I went to start it, the app responded that I had started the vehicle remotely 2 times for a total of 20 minutes and I needed to start the car manually before I could use the remote start again.

So now I will arrive on Sunday to get my car and I won't be able to start it and warm it up before I make the drive home.

Does anyone know if that limit can be adjusted or overridden?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've been using the app to start the car, which has been very nice. The actual communication is a lot quicker than our Hyundai, but there's a LOT of clicking to get it done. Wish I could just hit START and my pin. You have to log in (which is saved, if you choose to) then click remote services, then vehicle start, then choose your settings (which stay the same as the last time you used it) then Start, then choose the delay, then your PIN code. That's 10 taps, which could be brought down to 5 or so.
Agreed. It would also be nice if the app had the option for bio-metric/fingerprint security.

Also, I seem to have an issue with the remote start turning the AC on. The temp is set to 85°, when I enter the car all the settings for the climate unit are where they should be but the AC light is always on. I don't see a setting to not have the AC running.
Or is it that when the climate system is in full auto, the AC light will be on but not actually running until it needs to cool the air?

·
Super Moderator
7,135 Posts
You WANT the AC on... trust me...

Agreed. It would also be nice if the app had the option for bio-metric/fingerprint security.

Also, I seem to have an issue with the remote start turning the AC on. The temp is set to 85°, when I enter the car all the settings for the climate unit are where they should be but the AC light is always on. I don't see a setting to not have the AC running.
Or is it that when the climate system is in full auto, the AC light will be on but not actually running until it needs to cool the air?
The AC is turned on by your car when it needs to remove humidity from the air, and is irrelevant to whatever heating or cooling setting you chose. In other words, the car will turn on the AC when it thinks it needs to, but your car will reach whatever temperature you selected regardless.

The difference is, you won't get to a car with fogged up windows or dripping water.

So, it's a good thing. Most modern cars do this. Some just don't show you that they're spinning up the AC to do so. Air conditioners are dehumidifiers. Or, rather, dehumidifiers are temperature regulated air conditioners... so, in such cars, the air conditioner is used in the same way.

·
Registered
112 Posts
By the way, I don't see it on this thread. But while using the app, you can cut down on a LOT of the steps I complained about earlier if you don't need to change any temp settings from the last time.

Simply log in, and then grab the 3 dots to the right of "Subaru Starlink" and swipe them LEFT. This will give you a quick access menu, allowing you to Start Engine, Locate vehicle, lock doors, unlock doors, and horn and lights.

If you choose "Start Engine" it goes immediately to your PIN code, and DONE! Way faster.

·
Registered
92 Posts
By the way, I don't see it on this thread. But while using the app, you can cut down on a LOT of the steps I complained about earlier if you don't need to change any temp settings from the last time.

Simply log in, and then grab the 3 dots to the right of "Subaru Starlink" and swipe them LEFT. This will give you a quick access menu, allowing you to Start Engine, Locate vehicle, lock doors, unlock doors, and horn and lights.

If you choose "Start Engine" it goes immediately to your PIN code, and DONE! Way faster.
Never noticed this...definitely saves some steps!!!! :thanks:

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
dude.
thanks.
100 steps to start the car was getting annoying. now if it would just login automatically or using biometrics

1 - 20 of 72 Posts