Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family just capped of a road trip to the beach in the Ascent.

I'm just impressed with how well this car does as a family vehicle and how well it handles the long road trips.

This most recent trip, I loaded up the family for a beach vacation (2 adults, 2 teens, 1 baby) and the car took it in stride. For this trip I used a hitch luggage carrier which performed admirably. I was able to fit all the needed luggage and necessities for a beach vacation with all 3 rows of seats up.

The Ascent performed very well. We were able to fit all the luggage behind the 3rd row or on the hitch carrier. The Ascent did not notice the hitch carrier at all. You could tell there was a little extra weight on the rear of the car but it was negligible unless the wind was blowing hard. The engine did not feel it at all and the car was remained settled. The interior swallowed all of us while remaining comfortable and spacious enough for everyone.

From a ride standpoint, the Ascent is smooth and quiet. It is a fantastic highway cruiser. Power is ample and I have no trouble passing slower traffic.

What impressed me the most was our MPG. The 6 hour legs there and back netted me an average of 28 MPG. That is fantastic for a 3 row loaded down with people and stuff. This is not a fluke either. This is now the 2nd trip to the same place where I have returned 28-29 MPG on highway driving. My average speed was between 65-75 depending on roads and traffic. Most of the driving took place near sea level with the landscape flattening out as we got closer to the beach.

Our Ascent continues to impress us with the capability and versatility it provides our family.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I've done several very long road trips in my Premium Ascent and I agree, it's a great highway cruiser. Even after a 15 hour road trip we weren't sore or uncomfortable.

My MPG was lower, but I was also cruising at 90-110 on rural highways!

I love my Ascent!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yes we just did a road trip, and I put my daughter and her fam in the new ascent following us (us driving something else) for 1200 miles and they were totally comfy.

Return journey starts Friday.

·
Registered
40 Posts
We've had our ascent on a few family softball trips now with the dog and it has been very comfortable as well. The season is really gearing up now so in the next few weeks we will be traveling extensively on the weekends.

I opted for a Yakima Skybox to put luggage/softball gear. Both girls play softball so the bags and gear really add up. With the dog kennel in the back taking up two of the 3rd row seats it's nice having all that stuff on top as it makes it a lot easier getting the dog in and out for bathroom breaks along the way.

We'll really know how things go when we spend two weeks in August road tripping it from WY to Galveston, TX with family and friend stops along the way. Our Chocolate Lab will turn 1 year old on that trip so should be fun!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Completely agree this car was made for highway travel and handles is incredibly well. With the few long trips we have had everyone is comfortable. I've even had a few with all the Scout troops gear filled up to the ceiling and had zero issues going 70-80 MPH up a steep grade on the highway and never felt like I was lacking power!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Completely agree this car was made for highway travel and handles is incredibly well. With the few long trips we have had everyone is comfortable. I've even had a few with all the Scout troops gear filled up to the ceiling and had zero issues going 70-80 MPH up a steep grade on the highway and never felt like I was lacking power!
Were you pulling the Camp gear trailer? I'm curious how well it does with a trailer at Highway speeds.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I've pulled my Mustang on a trailer at 70mph + with no issues at all. Total weight 4,500lbs.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
597 Posts
Were you pulling the Camp gear trailer? I'm curious how well it does with a trailer at Highway speeds.
Was not pulling the trailer as the trailer needs a bit of work as the troop shrunk a bit in the past and it was not needed. With the troop growing again we now have the list of work and are looking to get it fixed. Something tells me I'll be the one to tow it but I think a few of the new parents have Escalades and might handle that responsibility if they are going.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I've done several very long road trips in my Premium Ascent and I agree, it's a great highway cruiser. Even after a 15 hour road trip we weren't sore or uncomfortable.

My MPG was lower, but I was also cruising at 90-110 on rural highways!

I love my Ascent!
Are you serious about driving that fast on rural highways? I hope not - you are endangering your family and others.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This most recent trip, I loaded up the family for a beach vacation (2 adults, 2 teens, 1 baby) and the car took it in stride. For this trip I used a hitch luggage carrier which performed admirably. I was able to fit all the needed luggage and necessities for a beach vacation with all 3 rows of seats up.
What hitch mounted carrier did you choose? I'm looking to make a coast to coast and back again trip at the end of July in our Touring model. Presently thinking of the 32x72 Lets Go Aero Gear Cage, which is a slideout carrier. I'm a little concerned about the width of the carrier, but it is 2 inches narrower than the car body on each side. Did you have any issues with your carrier?

·
Registered
24 Posts
We managed to get 3 teens, 4 beach chairs, clothes, groceries, and a backpack for each with only the single seat down in the 3rd row. Week long trip. Used packing cubes instead of luggage (2pp) and so could shove them anywhere with space, including cargo hold (don't know the right word for that). We don't have a cargo carrier yet (plan to get one) so it was shove it in or leave it. I was shocked by how much we managed to get into the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What hitch mounted carrier did you choose? I'm looking to make a coast to coast and back again trip at the end of July in our Touring model. Presently thinking of the 32x72 Lets Go Aero Gear Cage, which is a slideout carrier. I'm a little concerned about the width of the carrier, but it is 2 inches narrower than the car body on each side. Did you have any issues with your carrier?
For what it's worth..... I've traveled with this carrier (23x47 Carpod Walled Cargo Carrier for 2" Hitches - Steel - Folding - 450 lbs) and I absolutely loved it. It's not as large as the one you note but having the foldable side walls in place allowed me to worry less as we cruised down the road. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We used the Curt Folding Hitch Carrier 58x20 here: Curt Folding Hitch Carrier

It worked very well for our needs. I was also able to open the rear door without having to unload the carrier. Once we got unloaded it folded up nicely. We also used a weatherproof bag along with the basket to put our stuff in. With some ratchet straps from Walmart my setup was complete.

The fitment was good as it was the width was inside of the width of the vehicle. Our brake lights were still visible and it didn't drag on the car any at highway speed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just did Bike Ride Across Georgia (BRAG) with 4 friends, 4 bikes and a cargo carrier on top. While I did have a MPG impact with the cargo carrier on top and bikes hanging off the back, the Ascent handled it all beautifully. Love this car!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts