Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I have the 2021 Touring. Today, I was cleaning and organizing in the hatch and I kept hearing a fan sound on the driver's side. Yes, the ignition was on for a short time. There is a ventilated plastic panel beside the 12V accessory plug. Rather than tearing stuff apart, I thought some of you might tell me what's going on behind the curtain (in a manner of speaking). Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
428 Posts
I've heard the same thing, first thinking it was just the fan blowing from the heater unit, but it wasn't from the fan vent, so I have no clue what it is. And yeah, it seemed like it was coming from the driver's side, somewhere near that little light back there.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Would never have noticed it, except I was riding in the 3rd row just to see what it was like back there while our 16 yr old was driving the other day. (and the 3rd row is not half bad, although for a long drive I'd be a bit cramped)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Im not sure if this is it but theres a few threads on a humming noise near left rear with car off- below copied from another post based on owners manual:

You may hear a noise from under the vehicle approximately 5 to 10 hours
after the ignition switch is turned to the “LOCK”/“OFF” position. However, this
does not indicate a malfunction. This noise is caused by the operation of the
fuel evaporation leakage checking system and the operation is normal. The
noise will stop after approximately 15 minutes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm? I wonder why this thread was moved from the "General Discussion" forum to the "Complaints, Issues and Problems" forum. It's not like I am complaining, or reporting an issue or problem. I was just asking if anyone knows what's inside the panel cover of the hatch that is making a semi-loud fan sound. Attached is a photo to clear up where I'm talking about.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could my fan sound be somehow related to the 110V AC Outlet at the 2nd row console?
I found this PDF manual associated to my 2015 Impreza (which does not have this) in the My Subaru.

The manual suggests that it creates a lot of heat and requires good ventilation. If this is the case, this location is going to place a restriction on my use of the hatch for cargo and/or groceries. Also, there is no access for periodic cleaning. Undoubtedly, anything that make heat has a heatsink that needs to be cleaned or a thin foam filter that needs to be replaced.

Also, I wonder if it will affect my battery life. I've heard that Subaru is currently experiencing a problem regarding excessive battery or that they don't recharge properly, leaving drivers stranded.

Maybe it was appropriate to relocate this thread into the "Complaints, Issues and Problems" forum. Now I'm even more interested in what is behind the panel.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Page 298 of the Owner's manual displays a graphic of the picture I posted BUT only discusses the 12V outlet that is beside it. The page even provides guidelines regarding plugging a 120V inverter into the 12V outlet, but nothing else. Page 299 discusses the 120V AC outlet at the 2nd row console but nothing about where the inverter is located or any cautionary text. And nothing about an option to disable when not in use (if that would reduct wear and tear on a concealed inverter).

I'm probably over thinking this whole thing. I get that way. I'll leave this alone for a while and let other smart people have a turn at help me with this one.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Sorry you haven't gotten any good answers yet, I'm still curious too. And as for moving your post to a different place, they tend to do that around here. ( It would be nice if they asked the original poster if they mind it being moved, or at least tell them it was moved. I've had a few different times where I've checked the site and gone "Hey, where did my post go?")

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,215 Posts
While changes made by moderators do not have to be explained, here is some useful information: When posts are moved, the OP is notified via the Alerts unless they have that turned off in their profile. If there is an alert, there will be a little blue indicator on their avatar on the upper right side of the page. Posts get moved to keep things organized and to be together with like content. This topic, in general, has come up multiple times in this particular forum area, so that's likely why it was moved here.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Sorry you haven't gotten any good answers yet, I'm still curious too. And as for moving your post to a different place, they tend to do that around here. ( It would be nice if they asked the original poster if they mind it being moved, or at least tell them it was moved. I've had a few different times where I've checked the site and gone "Hey, where did my post go?")
I have always been notified

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,215 Posts
Question: Do you know if this group is just a collection of owner / driver / enthusiasts? Or is this forum monitored by anyone at Subaru for the purpose of process & product improvement?
This forum is a private site owned by VerticalScope...they run a very large number of forum sites for all kinds of subjects, including other Subaru model focused discussions. It's not affiliated to Subaru in any way. However, input from discussion areas like "My Letter to Subaru" relative to the vehicles (specifically Ascent here) do get passed on by folks with connections.

·
Registered
428 Posts
While changes made by moderators do not have to be explained, here is some useful information: When posts are moved, the OP is notified via the Alerts unless they have that turned off in their profile. If there is an alert, there will be a little blue indicator on their avatar on the upper right side of the page. Posts get moved to keep things organized and to be together with like content. This topic, in general, has come up multiple times in this particular forum area, so that's likely why it was moved here.
I'm definitely still fairly new, and still getting used to this site. Maybe I was notified, but didn't see that I was. And I realize that old timers on the site like it the way it currently runs. Just at times feels like there's a bit more interference than necessary, and posters should be able to decide for themselves where they'd like something to be posted, perhaps "correcting" their misplacement of a post at a later date after the initial views and comments have subsided for a few days or so. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I'm definitely still fairly new, and still getting used to this site. Maybe I was notified, but didn't see that I was. And I realize that old timers on the site like it the way it currently runs. Just at times feels like there's a bit more interference than necessary, and posters should be able to decide for themselves where they'd like something to be posted, perhaps "correcting" their misplacement of a post at a later date after the initial views and comments have subsided for a few days or so. Just a thought.
Moderators attempt to keep common topics organized and bunched together as @Jim_in_PA alluded to in his previous post. Forum members often ask the same question over and over in different threads. Consolidation actually makes it easier for the forum members, not just the moderators.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey All,

I have the 2021 Touring. Today, I was cleaning and organizing in the hatch and I kept hearing a fan sound on the driver's side. Yes, the ignition was on for a short time. There is a ventilated plastic panel beside the 12V accessory plug. Rather than tearing stuff apart, I thought some of you might tell me what's going on behind the curtain (in a manner of speaking). Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Check to see if your air conditioner on the driver side seat is on. If so, turn it off and see if the noise goes away.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent Touring
1 Posts
Hey All,

I also have the Touring. Soon after I bought it, I noticed a fan sound behind the passenger seat. After much investigation, I found that it was the seat ventilation fan that was on. Only determined that by process of turning off and on various switches until the sound stopped.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts