Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we went on a family road trip...first "major" trip with the Ascent. We loaded her up with our Yakima 21CUFT Skybox and 7 folks, so needless to say it was loaded. I hit the road and was doing 80 - 85 on the highway and over the 1372 mile trip averaged 19.8 MPG. This isn't stellar, but considering the car was loaded (probably past its capacity), it had a HUGE cargo carrier on top and I was going 80-85, I don't feel its that bad. Tires were at 40psi cold and ran 93 octane fuel.
Below is the cargo carrier installed.

Car loaded up when we got back home...sitting low without my 210lb butt in the car. For this alone, I'd like to install the Eibach or Primitive spring lift on the car.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like you had a great time. How was the skybox. Was it quite? Was it easy to access?
It is easy to install...i leave the cross bars in place and simply close the 4 interior latches and you are done.
It is easy to load as it opens on either side. i didn't get any wind noise from it when the sunroof shade was closed. When it was opened, the glass would let some noise in. I essentially installed it as far back as possible so that when the tailgate was opened, it wouldn't hit the skybox. There is about a half inch between the open tailgate and the back of the skybox.
I was able to load it standing on the floor of the car and reached the back of the box standing on top of the rear tire.
Any other questions, shoot them my way!

Reactions: RobertD

·
Registered
631 Posts
I like the skybox 21 as we'll, that's going to be the next purchase if we go on a road trip.

My next door neighbor has a limited and skybox as well.

LOL I use to drive fast back in my single days in CA doing 90-100 (and Montana I-90) on I-5 all the time but with a family of 4 now.. I don't ever go pass 75, I stick between 65-72. For fuel economy and also so I don't get a speeding ticket

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,877 Posts
I think you were lucky to get the fuel economy you did get with that load, that big box on top and the high rate of speed you were traveling.

Reactions: latapx

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,115 Posts
You might improve the stance fully loaded but the axle weight ratings are still the maximums posted. If you're going to load/overload frequently at high speed be very careful with tire speed and load ratings when it's time for new rubber.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You might improve the stance fully loaded but the axle weight ratings are still the maximums posted. If you're going to load/overload frequently at high speed be very careful with tire speed and load ratings when it's time for new rubber.
TOTALLY understood! A stiffer spring will help keep me off of the bump stops with the loads I'm using. I don't intend to go beyond what I'm doing now...not looking for extra capacity...just want to make my family hauling as comfortable and safe as possible. Bouncing off of the bump stops for miles on end isn't safe, comfortable or good for the car.

Reactions: Titanrx8

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Here...i stumbled upon this gem. Gives you lbs capacity for each load rating at specific fill pressures.

https://static1.1.sqspcdn.com/static/f/589830/23447320/1378330097907/Discount+Tire+inflation.pdf

Our 20" Falkens are 102 load rating and reach their 1874lb rating at 36 psi. Less pressure = less load carrying capacity. At the Subaru recommended 33 psi cold the load carrying capacity for the tire is 1734 lbs which with 2 tires still exceeds the rear axle carrying capacity of 3296lbs.

Now, the placard on my drivers door states the occupant load cannot exceed 1158 lbs. GVWR is 6000lbs. Does this mean that the car itself weighs 4842??? I thought the car weighed 4605? 6000 - 4605 = 1395lbs carrying capacity.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Reactions: Titanrx8

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Recommended psi is 33 at normal loads...not the car loaded to the nuts. Max inflation pressure on the tire is either 44 or 51...dont feel like checking right now lol...so you are way under max settings for the tire. The higher pressure in the tire will make it feel more responsive when loaded and won't heat up the tire as much on long trips.
93 was by choice. Getting an AP soon anyways.

Reactions: xydadx3

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sounds like you had a great time. How was the skybox. Was it quite? Was it easy to access?
We have a Skybox carrier and just got back from 1,000 mile round trip to the Idaho mountains. I could tell no difference sound wise and I estimate a .5 mpg hit with it installed. I'm a conservative driver (we averaged 70 mph on the freeway), and saw 27.5 mpg on that portion of the trip.

The large step area in the back seat door area makes access to the Skybox a breeze. On my Outback, I had a small foot bracket that would attach to the door lock that made it easier to access the roof carrier, but it is not needed on the Ascent.

I'm very happy with the Skybox mated to the Ascent.

As a side note, I keep my Skybox mounted to the ceiling of my garage using a Garage Gator winch system to raise and lower it (we store our fly fishing gear in the Skybox between trips). I just lower it on to the Ascent roof rack, slide it back, lock it in, and away we go. When we get home, we just reverse the process. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here...i stumbled upon this gem. Gives you lbs capacity for each load rating at specific fill pressures.

https://static1.1.sqspcdn.com/static/f/589830/23447320/1378330097907/Discount+Tire+inflation.pdf

Our 20" Falkens are 102 load rating and reach their 1874lb rating at 36 psi. Less pressure = less load carrying capacity. At the Subaru recommended 33 psi cold the load carrying capacity for the tire is 1734 lbs which with 2 tires still exceeds the rear axle carrying capacity of 3296lbs.

Now, the placard on my drivers door states the occupant load cannot exceed 1158 lbs. GVWR is 6000lbs. Does this mean that the car itself weighs 4842??? I thought the car weighed 4605? 6000 - 4605 = 1395lbs carrying capacity.

Anyone have thoughts on this?
Anyone have thoughts on actual payload carrying capacity? Cars placard says 1158 but GVWR(6000) - listed curb weight of 4603 is 1397. Is Curb weight "dry" i.e. no fuel, etc.? Going to have to get the car weighed! lol

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
It's exactly what's on the door, and isn't supposed to add up to GVWR. Cargo capacity actually includes, by law, an unlabeled additional factory accessories weight, among other factors.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's exactly what's on the door, and isn't supposed to add up to GVWR. Cargo capacity actually includes, by law, an unlabeled additional factory accessories weight, among other factors.
I hear you Rob, and understand your point, and the below has been my understanding (which may only be partially correct???) so far with respect to this topic which I've researched before for pickups, my old Suburban, what travel trailer I can safely tow with my family in the vehicle, etc. I'm going to make up numbers, for the sake of ease of calculation.

GVWR = 6000 Actual vehicle curb weight = 4500. This "should" mean you have 1500 lbs of in/on vehicle load carrying capacity. This can be 1500 lbs of people, or 500 lbs tongue weight + 1000 lbs of people, or 1100 lbs of people and 400 lbs of cargo. There can be any combination of people, cargo and tongue weight, so long as you do not exceed the GVWR of 6000 lbs AND the individual axle ratings.

Are we on the same page so far?

What this has led me to understand is that the trim level greatly affects the cargo/towing capacity of the vehicle. Entry level models have less bells and whistles, weigh hundreds of pounds less and have more open capacity. Sure, an F-150 can tow 13,000 lbs...in a certain configuration...and nearly otherwise empty of any load. Likewise, the Ascent can tow 5,000lbs, so long as the 500lbs of tongue weight is factored into the load on the vehicle and F/R axles.

My door placard states 525kg or 1158lbs lbs, but my "education" tells me that the load carrying capacity should be GVWR minus whatever the vehicle weighs "wet"...full tank of gas and other fluids. If I stick my family in the car I'm at 1150lbs and have 8 lbs of capacity left over.

"Legally" as long as I'm rolling down the road at or below 6,000 lbs I'm legal...Correct?

Thoughts??? 🙏🙏

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Legally, in all 50 states, GVWR, and other "G"'s, tongue, etc, are the ones they're going to weigh you for, yes.

The discrepancy is possibly this...

6,000 pounds GVWR
-4,603 pounds "curb" weight (Ascent Touring)
--------------------------------
1,397 pounds
-1,158 pounds cargo capacity
239 pounds "missing"

We do not know if Subaru's "curb weight" includes gasoline. There apparently isn't a standard. My guess is it does not. Here's why
239 pounds "missing"
-122 pounds gasoline (19.3 gallons at 6.3 pounds each)
117 pounds still "missing"

Federal Law allows for 90 pounds (for the Ascent) of accessories to be added before lowering the cargo carrying capacity. I kinda suspect that the remaining 27 pounds accounts for the standard "accessories" that are dumped into the car, such as mats, washer fluid, cargo cover, etc.

I am curious what the real weights are. If we had a scale near me, I'd empty everything except the gas tank and weigh. Maybe one day on some trip.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, i do have access to scales so I may just do that research for the group. From my racing days we bought a set of scales for car setup and corner balancing. Just need to reach out to the person who has them and drop by. I have a touring with the sunroof, hitch, etc so my car should be one of the heaviest. I'll try and get this done over the next few weeks with a full tank of gas which would be worse case scenario and report back.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
That's be awesome! I literally have a set of individual wheel scales in my shopping car for ages, but, I cannot justify spending that money yet, lol. I made sure to get ones capable of being used as both tongue weight scales (the easy part) and individual tire scale.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is similar to what we have:

But then again, we were setting up our own cars and charging for setup and alignment for others so we bit the bullet. Even bought our own tire balance and mounting machines from a shop that was closing down. It is a rough investment to cure a curiosity, but if you have a use for it, they are a must. I literally would have the car on the scales with my equivalent weight in the drivers seat, placing the battery/ballast in different areas of the car in order to get it right. It can lead to serious OCD and lunacy! LOL

Looking at what you have set aside there, 1,250 lbs per scale is not enough capacity...you'd need to go up on that if you want to use it for our cars.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts