Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was look for an A/T tire for my 2019 Limited without changing rims. And came across the Falken WildPeak Trail A/T (245/50/20). Anyone have these on or know more about them? I can’t go KO2 or Nitto Grappler without changing rims. Thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was look for an A/T tire for my 2019 Limited without changing rims. And came across the Falken WildPeak Trail A/T (245/50/20). Anyone have these on or know more about them? I can’t go KO2 or Nitto Grappler without changing rims. Thanks

·
Registered
108 Posts
I bought a set last week and will be having them put on this week. I had to order them online because my tire guy said he couldn't even get them in that size from his suppliers.

Reactions: Edryer3

·
Registered
31 Posts
Can’t wait to see some pics of those on the Ascent. Just got mine last week and already thinking about these. Just need to decide what size wheel (stick with the stick 20’s or switch to an 18”)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought a set last week and will be having them put on this week. I had to order them online because my tire guy said he couldn't even get them in that size from his suppliers.
Are they going on your stock rims? If so which size? Can’t wait to hear what you think of them once they are on!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I was going back and forth on whether or not to get a set of 18" wheels and throw snow tires on them, or save some money for now and just find an aggressive 20" all-season that will handle some snow and dirt roads. Found the Wildpeak A/T Trail in the stock 245/50-20 size, although I had to order them online. They look pretty meaty sitting in my garage. Cant wait to get them on and try them out!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was going back and forth on whether or not to get a set of 18" wheels and throw snow tires on them, or save some money for now and just find an aggressive 20" all-season that will handle some snow and dirt roads. Found the Wildpeak A/T Trail in the stock 245/50-20 size, although I had to order them online. They look pretty meaty sitting in my garage. Cant wait to get them on and try them out! View attachment 1750
awesome! I’m gonna go with the 255/50/20 on my 20” Ascent Rims. Probably wait till Black Friday or something. My tread is still good on the OEMs I have! Post pics when you got them installed and let me know how they ride!!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Looks sweet, all. Hope they work out for you. Kinda jealous you get the 3PMSF rating. Even though they are still Falken (not bashing Falken), anything is better than what came on the car originally (worst tires ever).

·
Registered
544 Posts
What are your plans with the Ascent? 20” AT gives you very little sidewall for rough roads. I downsized to 18s and if I could do it I again (and they fit) would go 17s

Rough estimate of Oem size tires

20” sidewall 4.8”
18” sidewall 5.8”

·
Registered
108 Posts
We camp in Northern PA state forest year-round (among other places), so having extra grip is more important to crawling over rocks or tackling 'serious' off road. The dirt roads we travel are just that - typically in decent condition with some minor rutting. Sometimes its mud, sometimes its snow, sometimes its gravel. It's nothing I'd ever have to air-down for, but we also tow a small camper so any sliding around isn't good.

A few years ago we organized a trip and there were torrential downpours. The PA clay can get to be super slick, and we had a guy in a Land Cruiser slide off-camber into a ditch and needed recovered. If he had some decent tires, it probably wouldn't have been an issue. You just never know.

These will definitely get us where we need to go.

·
Registered
889 Posts
We camp in Northern PA state forest year-round (among other places), so having extra grip is more important to crawling over rocks or tackling 'serious' off road. The dirt roads we travel are just that - typically in decent condition with some minor rutting. Sometimes its mud, sometimes its snow, sometimes its gravel. It's nothing I'd ever have to air-down for, but we also tow a small camper so any sliding around isn't good.

A few years ago we organized a trip and there were torrential downpours. The PA clay can get to be super slick, and we had a guy in a Land Cruiser slide off-camber into a ditch and needed recovered. If he had some decent tires, it probably wouldn't have been an issue. You just never know.

These will definitely get us where we need to go.
Those tires look sweet! I've been continually shopping to see if anything new comes out in 245/50 R20. After you get some miles on them please post your impressions about road noise and gas mileage. At ~7lbs heavier than the stock tires, I'm very curious if that affected real world MPG.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think these will do just fine! I haven't hit highway speeds yet, but so far (hit 45mph) the noise isn't any more noticeable than the stock tires. With the windows down there might be a little hum but not bad at all. Can't wait to test them out in some snow! Corners pretty well too. Good compromise all around.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I think these will do just fine! I haven't hit highway speeds yet, but so far (hit 45mph) the noise isn't any more noticeable than the stock tires. With the windows down there might be a little hum but not bad at all. Can't wait to test them out in some snow! Corners pretty well too. Good compromise all around.
Nice! I want these now. What was your gas mileage like with the OEM tires? Dying to hear impressions after a couple of tanks.

I really like the rim protection. It seems you only really get that feature with high performance summer tires. I nipped a curb last week squeezing past a car to make a right turn. So now I have a 1.5" rash on the edge of one of my rims. I'm going to get it polished out (it's very minor). Some new tires with good rim protection are high on my list, so I'm taking notice of tires with that feature.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
108 Posts
I don't know that I have a true sense of the mpg yet, as we've only had it for three weeks / 2k miles, so I'm barely out of 'break-in'. I've got a ~20 mile commute to work each way (14 miles rural roads @ 45-50mph,3 miles of highway @70mph, then 3 miles of stop-and-go city). The dash readout has usually been hanging between 24 and 25mpg.

The 3 miles of city really kills mpg though - noticed that the first week I had it. The first ~17 miles of my commute I would be at ~27mpg, then it just falls off that last 3 miles.

I'll check back in once I've got a few miles on these, but I'd be surprised if I saw it drop too significantly. Anybody with lots of stop-and-go will likely notice it drop more than someone who cruises long rural roads and highways. The additional rotational mass of these will take more fuel to get rolling, but once you're cruising that higher mass help carry you.

Reactions: rockthebeef

·
Registered
190 Posts
Thanks for taking the plunge on these tires! Like others here, I am definitely contemplating replacing the OEM tires with these. The 3 Peak Mountain Snowflake rating is very appealing for areas with mild winter climates, and they look great also!

When you get some more miles on these, I would be very interested in hearing how the handling characteristics compare to the OEM Falkens. I would love the added soft road / winter traction these should provide, but since the majority of our miles are on paved surfaces, I don't want a downgrade in on road traction or stability either.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Picking up a set of these next week in 31s, will update the group vs Terraincontacts

Shameless plug

My current wheels and tires might be for sale. 4 tires with 6k miles and 1 matching never mounted spare with 0 miles (sticker still on the tires). TSW Chrono 18 with 245/60/18 Terraincontacts

·
Super Moderator
7,427 Posts
I saw the newest TerrainContacts a couple days ago. They are looking more street friendly of late.

I suspect that's good for some, bad for others.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I saw the newest TerrainContacts a couple days ago. They are looking more street friendly of late.

I suspect that's good for some, bad for others.
yeah those remind of of the Nitto grapplers. I like the look of the knobby aggressive looking ones. And the Falkens so far are better looking in that way for the CUV. Wonder if KO2s go CUV....

1 - 20 of 105 Posts