Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Does anyone know if the Ascent factory service manual is available and where it can be had?
Per @Rgashton and @Robert.Mauro :

"The link for the service manual and other PDFs is: https://techinfo.subaru.com/stis/#/login

Robert.Mauro pointed me to it. It's a paid subscription for it, but ANYONE can get access. I paid for the 3-day subscription, $35, and it has been well worth it I think. It has repair steps, diagnostic steps, wiring diagrams, harness locations, measurements and specs, etc. It is VERY detailed. I like to work on our vehicles myself when I'm able and usually buy Chilton type service manuals, but this is straight from Subaru and obviously much more specific.

I will say, it is a total PITA to download the entire Service Manual PDF though. It's just monotonous and broken up into countless chapters and sub categories. It has a little bit of a learning curve to figure out the best way to download and keep organized but it was fairly straight forward after I got the hang of it.

There are a couple large chapters that Safari and Chrome (I use a Mac) could not deal with, but FireFox worked perfectly. All in all, it took me roughly all day to get almost everything related to the Ascent. And the service manual was 90% of that time. If you have other Subarus you'll probably want to get those service manuals too, lol.

You can either print it out immediately (there's a "Print" button within the website's app) or you can "print" it to/as a PDF. That's what I did. Once it's on my computer as a PDF, I have a digital copy and can now print it out whenever I want. I'm thinking of taking the Service Manual files to the store to print it out and bind it into a book. I definitely think it is worth the $35."

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

"The link for the service manual and other PDFs is: https://techinfo.subaru.com/stis/#/login

Robert.Mauro pointed me to it. It's a paid subscription for it, but ANYONE can get access. I paid for the 3-day subscription, $35,
Yes this is the same as always, I guess. On the Outback forum, there are links to free versions for the differnt years. I have both 2005-2006 for my cars. I suppose I will pony up. I doubt I will ever own an Ascent. All I really wanted was the (2) procedures for the front and rear sway bar bushings. I was not able to get great pictures off the local dealer Ascent. My design software program is on the glitch and I need to produce install instructions for CKE SSP bushings.

I just thought the FSM would have some diagrams and procedure as well as torque settings. It would be a quick and dirty way for me to put something together.

·
Registered
932 Posts

Robert.Mauro pointed me to it. It's a paid subscription for it, but ANYONE can get access. I paid for the 3-day subscription, $35, and it has been well worth it I think. It has repair steps, diagnostic steps, wiring diagrams, harness locations, measurements and specs, etc. It is VERY detailed. I like to work on our vehicles myself when I'm able and usually buy Chilton type service manuals, but this is straight from Subaru and obviously much more specific.

I will say, it is a total PITA to download the entire Service Manual PDF though. It's just monotonous and broken up into countless chapters and sub categories. It has a little bit of a learning curve to figure out the best way to download and keep organized but it was fairly straight forward after I got the hang of it.

There are a couple large chapters that Safari and Chrome (I use a Mac) could not deal with, but FireFox worked perfectly. All in all, it took me roughly all day to get almost everything related to the Ascent. And the service manual was 90% of that time. If you have other Subarus you'll probably want to get those service manuals too, lol.

You can either print it out immediately (there's a "Print" button within the website's app) or you can "print" it to/as a PDF. That's what I did. Once it's on my computer as a PDF, I have a digital copy and can now print it out whenever I want. I'm thinking of taking the Service Manual files to the store to print it out and bind it into a book. I definitely think it is worth the $35."

Ooh, that's cool. You printed the ENTIRE file to a PDF. Do the links inside work when you open the PDF file, or not?

Yes this is the same as always, I guess. On the Outback forum, there are links to free versions for the differnt years.
I think they don't have anything newer than a 2015ish Leggy or OB from what I saw. They have the files on some websites with the years but the folders inside didn't have any content.

I was able to find mine for my 2011 OB, and yeah, mostly for torque values and stuff.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Ooh, that's cool. You printed the ENTIRE file to a PDF. Do the links inside work when you open the PDF file, or not?
No the links don't work inside the PDF, unfortunately. But luckily the links give the exact location of where to find the linked information (doesn't just say "Link") so I'm fine with that.

I think they don't have anything newer than a 2015ish Leggy or OB from what I saw. They have the files on some websites with the years but the folders inside didn't have any content.

I was able to find mine for my 2011 OB, and yeah, mostly for torque values and stuff.
I don't know where you're referencing but it sounds like either Subaru releases the entire service manual after a set amount of years, for free download (unlikely?). Or someone simply uploads the service manuals they paid for and puts them in those folders for others to download for free. I can't imagine that's kosher with the EULAs... :plain:

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Someone eventually seems to reassemble the service manuals, often with the links "corrected" for the new format, and offers them online. No idea who, how, why or if it's authorized.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Links don't work in bound physical books, so I'm fine with following the links the old fashioned way, flipping pages, lol! :grin: :tango_face_wink:

Plus if I was looking at this stuff on a computer or phone or tablet while I was working on the car, I am sure I'd need a service manual for that device after I destroy it from a part from the car, haha!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Right. Because things change. It is the only way to make sure you have the most up to date info.

·
Registered
411 Posts

I will probably do the same, and merge the PDF's into one large one so it's easier to get. I don't know if I would print it out, but IT would be nice to have on the shelf and bound in the garage.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I paid $35 today for access to 3 days of downloads of the service shop manuals for Subaru from techinfo.subaru.com. I chose to download 2008 STI, 2016 WRX, 2018 Outback, and 2019 Ascent.

The reason I mention this is because there are also other downloads available and one was particularly interesting: pages and pages of corrections to the Ascent service manual. Subaru must have made some changes along the way in the manufacturing process of the Ascent.

I also frequent the Outback forum, and those people are livid about the terrible infotainment unit in the 2018 Outback. When the original head unit fails customers are getting refurbished units from Subaru. They are not a happy bunch! I will be visiting my dealer soon, because I have the same problems others are experiencing. That is the main reason I downloaded the service manual. Ascent owners should be thrilled Subaru completely redesigned the system in the Ascent.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I paid $35 today for access to 3 days of downloads of the service shop manuals for Subaru from techinfo.subaru.com. I chose to download 2008 STI, 2016 WRX, 2018 Outback, and 2019 Ascent.

The reason I mention this is because there are also other downloads available and one was particularly interesting: pages and pages of corrections to the Ascent service manual. Subaru must have made some changes along the way in the manufacturing process of the Ascent.

I also frequent the Outback forum, and those people are livid about the terrible infotainment unit in the 2018 Outback. When the original head unit fails customers are getting refurbished units from Subaru. They are not a happy bunch! I will be visiting my dealer soon, because I have the same problems others are experiencing. That is the main reason I downloaded the service manual.
Very interesting. So is the service manual on its own not updated with the corrections and have to download separately? If so, I might hold off until it's updated in 1 document versus having to look through several...

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Very interesting. So is the service manual on its own not updated with the corrections and have to download separately? If so, I might hold off until it's updated in 1 document versus having to look through several...
I checked again and noticed that these service manual updates go as far back as 2004. Not all the updates (corrections) were/are for the Ascent. Maybe none of those corrections are actually for the Ascent. It is difficult to tell. I clicked on a couple of the updates just to see what they were. The pictures and the fonts looked like they were written by the Egyptians, very archaic. Our manuals are so nice and updated today.

For those of you who might download the service manual in the future be aware that, as mentioned previously by another poster, only certain browsers will handle this download. The download WILL NOT work with Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, Safari, or Opera. The download WILL work with Internet Explorer 11 and Firefox.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Can anyone help? Who has the FSM

I am looking for (2) procedures.

Front and Rear Sway Bar replacement. A little overkill, but it's sure to cover the bushing replacement, body side. I will never own an Ascent, I will likely not wrench on one until the warranties expire. I am looking to save $35 on the FSM download.

Please, someone open-source these (2) for me from the FSM. PM or email me PDFs. Cloudlinks, ... post a picture here ... whatever. I have 7 sets of bushing out to members here, without install instructions. Even though, it s simple monkey-work. I resemble that remark, I know. However, folks like instructions, or You-Tube videos.

Help this dog out. Someone.

·
Registered
12 Posts

I also frequent the Outback forum, and those people are livid about the terrible infotainment unit in the 2018 Outback. When the original head unit fails customers are getting refurbished units from Subaru. They are not a happy bunch! I will be visiting my dealer soon, because I have the same problems others are experiencing. That is the main reason I downloaded the service manual. Ascent owners should be thrilled Subaru completely redesigned the system in the Ascent.
Where did you find the Ascent Service Manual? I just paid for the subscription but the FSM was not listed. How did you search for it? I searched by year and model - I didn't try searching by VIN. The site went down before i could try.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Where did you find the Ascent Service Manual? I just paid for the subscription but the FSM was not listed. How did you search for it? I searched by year and model - I didn't try searching by VIN. The site went down before i could try.
I have to apologize. It was taking so long for us to download the pdf file correctly, that we forgot to download the Ascent service manual. We got the other 3 done that I listed. As you mentioned, I tried to access the site today, but it is indeed down. I did use the VIN to get access to the proper manuals.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have to apologize. It was taking so long for us to download the zip file correctly, that we forgot to download the Ascent service manual. We got the other 3 done that I listed. As you mentioned, I tried to access the site today, but it is indeed down. I did use the VIN to get access to the proper manuals.
You downloaded them as zip files? When I downloaded the other manuals i needed, they came in as a pdf and I was able to just save the file.
I tried searching by VIN but the only service manual that comes up is the body repair manual. Any help finding the service manual would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
You downloaded them as zip files? When I downloaded the other manuals i needed, they came in as a pdf and I was able to just save the file.
I tried searching by VIN but the only service manual that comes up is the body repair manual. Any help finding the service manual would be greatly appreciated.
I misrepresented the facts - I lied - just kidding. We downloaded pdf files from that site and zip files from alternative sites for the WRX and STI.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts