Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are ready to purchase our 2020 Ascent Premium and are headed to our preferred dealer within days.

1) Are there any downsides to a factory order if we don't mind the wait? With a possible impact from Covid-19, is there any reason to buy a local one that has more options than we want? The local has $200 more in options that we don't want but the dealer says they can't be removed even if they can be easily, physically removed like all weather floor mats.

2) Is it worth waiting for a 2021 factory order just to get factory LED headlights? We aren't interested in any of the other projected changes for 2021. I am reading the LED threads now and am wondering if they are that much better than the halogens.

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
They will not break up accessory packages (technically not "options")...I have a set of pristine 2020 Forester all weather mats for the same reason. They will never be used. But they are saleable...

Normally, there's zero down-side to a factory order for getting exactly what you want in every way. That's how I buy vehicles, However, Covid-19 could slow production if certain components are delayed--a Subaru executive recently intimated that in an interview mentioned elsewhere. While the Ascent is physically built in Indiana, parts come from the global market and much of the Asian geography has been hard hit relative to industrial production due to the virus. So to hedge your bet, buying in-stock may keep you from delays in the normal ~6-8 week delivery schedule for factory orders.

Waiting for MY21 is certainly an option, but that's still quite a long weight. Given the normal schedule expectations, you'll probably be looking at late summer before getting your vehicle.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
We are ready to purchase our 2020 Ascent Premium and are headed to our preferred dealer within days.

1) Are there any downsides to a factory order if we don't mind the wait? With a possible impact from Covid-19, is there any reason to buy a local one that has more options than we want? The local has $200 more in options that we don't want but the dealer says they can't be removed even if they can be easily, physically removed like all weather floor mats.

2) Is it worth waiting for a 2021 factory order just to get factory LED headlights? We aren't interested in any of the other projected changes for 2021. I am reading the LED threads now and am wondering if they are that much better than the halogens.

Thanks in advance!
I ordered my 2019 Limited through a broker but priced the vehicle with the precise package and options I wanted through three dealers and two brokers. I simply went through the lowest price source. I have the LED headlights and I love them. Covid-19 is a non issue when purchasing a vehicle. If you are willing to take a vehicle off the lot and pay for items that you did not want and also address the depreciated value of a 2020 then have at it. If you are willing to wait for your vehicle then you get exactly what you want at a competitive price. Of course you could probable work a lower cost with the 2020 off the lot. By the way, you mention your "preferred dealer". Why are they preferred? Even if you do not buy through them, you can always service your vehicle there or anywhere for that matter. If they know you are not considering any other dealer, you will probably pay more for any vehicle you buy there.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,179 Posts
While I can't claim to have compared the Ascent's LED headlamps with the Ascent's halogen headlamps, I have had a number of H11-powered projector headlamps in the past and I can tell you that the LEDs on our Touring model are much, MUCH better than any halogen lamp I've ever owned. You can "retrofit" HIDs or LEDs into halogen projectors, but the result still won't be as good as an LED projector that was designed as such from the get-go. The halogen lamps, even if retrofitted, still won't respond to steering as the LEDs do, and that's a very nice feature to have.

If I were in a pinch for a vehicle right now, then I guess I'd buy one now and live with the halogens. But if I were just casually looking around, and could wait for factory LEDs to appear in all models, then I'd probably wait.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Is it worth waiting for a 2021 factory order just to get factory LED headlights?
If you can wait, then absolutely. The LED headlights are simply great. They're also steering responsive and auto-leveling, which you won't get with retrofitted LEDs in halogen housings. If you drive a good amount at night, then it will be worth the wait.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, thanks everyone!!

Jim, I was thinking about quality issues due to production disruption but I expect I’m over-thinking it.

packout, preferred dealer meaning we’ve shopped around and have found a dealer we like with a great price, good perks and a great trade-in offer.

hokiefyd and rockthebeef, thanks for LED input. Before reading up I thought they were a nice to have but I’m starting to think they are worth the wait, especially after checking out the Ascent on the IIHS website.

Reading old threads, the 2020 info released May 16th 2019 and ordering started 1-2 weeks later. If we wait, I expect we’ll order late May and delivery would be in August some time. I don’t know what the dealer will say about my trade if I ask to wait for MY21 but I think I’m going to find out :) We bought our current sedan 15 years ago so a 2 month delay is doable, just a little excruciating as we’re really looking forward to it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'm waiting for the 2021.. I would definitely prefer the lane centering to what is currently being used now.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R, 2003 Honda Pilot EX
74 Posts
I wasn't going to wait, but now that the Touring is going to come with an option of having the slate grey interior or the already existing java brown, i am on the fence.... even though i can get 2020 Tourings at MSRP - 5000 ish from most TX dealers... some are still stuck at -4000, so we will see where they head now...
I can wait, but i also have that 1000 coupon from Subaru ending 3/31 and the 0% finance deal.
The finance deal may be extended in this economy... but will it be extended to the 2021 models? Not sure, but it was for 2018 Outbacks when they initially came out... so i may hedge my bets there too....
Too many first world choices to be honest.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I haven't compared Ascent halogen to LED either, but my '19 Touring's LED's make my old Merc GL450's halogens look like the lights weren't on. My middle-aged eyes went "wow!"

One advantage of choosing stock dealer inventory is that they want to move their own stock, and you might apply price pressure during a time that I gotta believe dealers are hurting a bit. Mine didn't budge on price, but they gave me a $500 gift certificate that worked well for some brake pads and other spares.

F.S.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am in the similar boat. I am interested in a Premium with pretty much nothing else added; per Subaru website, its MSRP should be $35,405. However, in nearby dealerships, the cheapest Ascent Premium is $37,767. :(

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I am in the similar boat. I am interested in a Premium with pretty much nothing else added; per Subaru website, its MSRP should be $35,405. However, in nearby dealerships, the cheapest Ascent Premium is $37,767. :(
not only will your purchase price be higher, you will pay higher taxes, registration, additional interest, slightly higher mileage from test drives, and maybe higher insurance. All because you are taking it off their lot. I bought the 2019 Limited with only one option and no add-ons. I received it in less than two months. If you can wait, do so.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
If the
Wow, thanks everyone!!

Jim, I was thinking about quality issues due to production disruption but I expect I’m over-thinking it.

packout, preferred dealer meaning we’ve shopped around and have found a dealer we like with a great price, good perks and a great trade-in offer.

hokiefyd and rockthebeef, thanks for LED input. Before reading up I thought they were a nice to have but I’m starting to think they are worth the wait, especially after checking out the Ascent on the IIHS website.

Reading old threads, the 2020 info released May 16th 2019 and ordering started 1-2 weeks later. If we wait, I expect we’ll order late May and delivery would be in August some time. I don’t know what the dealer will say about my trade if I ask to wait for MY21 but I think I’m going to find out :) We bought our current sedan 15 years ago so a 2 month delay is doable, just a little excruciating as we’re really looking forward to it.
If they are willing to give a good price, good trade in and good perks, then they should be just as willing to do all of that for an ordered vehicle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I asked about MY21 today. They knew nothing and said they can't guarantee the same trade in offer if I wait, which is fine, I understand. I figure once 2021s can be ordered I'll be back shopping at multiple dealers.

We keep our cars 10-15 years and I have no reason to jump on a 2020 with halogens when I can wait 2mo and get LEDs at the start of a model year.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I asked about MY21 today. They knew nothing and said they can't guarantee the same trade in offer if I wait, which is fine, I understand. I figure once 2021s can be ordered I'll be back shopping at multiple dealers.

We keep our cars 10-15 years and I have no reason to jump on a 2020 with halogens when I can wait 2mo and get LEDs at the start of a model year.
you can always sell your other vehicle instead of trading it. You will typically get a higher price. The trade in is often more of a convenience than anything else. BTW - I love the way my LED headlamps move when I start the vehicle. I have never had a vehicle light up the road so well. I regularly use the fog lights and the automatic brights adjust very well. I have never lit up any oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
not only will your purchase price be higher, you will pay higher taxes, registration, additional interest, slightly higher mileage from test drives, and maybe higher insurance. All because you are taking it off their lot. I bought the 2019 Limited with only one option and no add-ons. I received it in less than two months. If you can wait, do so.
How did you go about doing it? Factory-order via a dealership? If so, how does the haggling work? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
How did you go about doing it? Factory-order via a dealership? If so, how does the haggling work? Thanks in advance!
It is currently against the law to buy direct from an auto manufacturer. Posters including myself are referring to ordering through the dealer a model with only the packages and options you want instead of choosing a vehicle that is from current dealer inventory on their floor. The dealer will order it within a couple of days from your deal and that vehicle will be built on the assembly line with your order number on it. Dealers are forced to pre-order a certain number of vehicles and often with certain packages. Their customer may not want all of the packages on that vehicle so they may try and locate one that is closer to your mix that you are looking for. If a customer is willing to wait they can with certain limitations get the vehicle with the packages and options they want. I ordered through an auto broker and even they go through a dealer (they are handled as if they are a high volume sales person). The benefit to the dealer is that they eliminate their own finance and inventory costs of carrying the vehicle on the lot until sold. They simply manage the pass through and paperwork. For years some state legislators have toyed with the idea of allowing to bypass a dealer network. That legislation has yet to pass (Tesla is the closest version).

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
they can't guarantee the same trade in offer if I wait, which is fine, I understand.
Trade in figures today do not reflect the additional mileage and potential change in condition 5-6 months down the road.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you to everyone regarding the LED lights. We decided to wait and, although we will pay more for it, we believe it is the right decision since we plan to have this car a very long time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.