Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have to say, I'm not happy with my 2020 Ascent and not likely to buy another Subie. The thing has been annoying, with its chimes and beeps and buzzes (ok, it doesn't buzz). All the metal trim has tarnished, perhaps due to salt, not sure, but that seems flimsy.

Anyway...I'm just under 18k miles and taking it in for oil change, and the mechanic pulls me over and shows me this on the left rear tire:

Completely worn-down, and in very bad shape. All the other tires are fine, that's the inside edge on the LR that's basically gone.
So how bad of an alignment is TOO BAD? Any chance the (sleazy, dishonest) dealer will help make it right? If not, then I'll just stick with my original plan, which was to never go back to that dealership again.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you.

·
Administrator
11,392 Posts
You get one free alignment. I suggest that you take advantage of that before 36,000 miles (or 3 years, whichever comes first), before your next set of tires.

Problem is, you can't just change one tire with that much wear.

I can't speak to what your dealership may or may not do to try to help you out, but it can't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You get one free alignment. I suggest that you take advantage of that before 36,000 miles (or 3 years, whichever comes first), before your next set of tires.
I'm not familiar with alignment (have never done one, don't know what goes into it). Would it be better to get a set of tires and THEN take it to get aligned, right away? How do they align it if the tires are trashed like that?

I feel like I'll be spending about a grand on tires that should still be fine if the factory alignment was actually worth a darn.

Definitely does not make me feel good about the brand.

·
Administrator
11,392 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the brand. Cars of every brand get bounced around in transit. Needing a wheel alignment isn't uncommon. What is uncommon is that Subaru allows for one for free, as well as free brake pads, and wiper blades (as long as they're still the factory installed ones), during the 3yr/36k warranty.

Wheel alignment is physical adjustment to the suspension and steering components to make the stuff point and lean all the correct directions, so, tires won't matter. Do the alignment first, or shortly after changing the tires, but before any decent amount of travel on the new tires.

·
Registered
152 Posts
What is uncommon is that Subaru allows for one for free, as well as free brake pads, and wiper blades (as long as they're still the factory installed ones), during the 3yr/36k warranty.
Very good to know! Would they replace brake pads that are still considered ‘healthy’, or would they need to be worn out?

Is there any literature that I can point out to my dealer to avoid any confusion about my complementary alignment? :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's nothing wrong with the brand. Cars of every brand get bounced around in transit. Needing a wheel alignment isn't uncommon. What is uncommon is that Subaru allows for one for free, as well as free brake pads, and wiper blades (as long as they're still the factory installed ones), during the 3yr/36k warranty.

Wheel alignment is physical adjustment to the suspension and steering components to make the stuff point and lean all the correct directions, so, tires won't matter. Do the alignment first, or shortly after changing the tires, but before any decent amount of travel on the new tires.
So you're saying it's totally normal to need a new set of tires under 18k miles? I should just spend over a grand on tires and be happy they give me an alignment?
The other 3 tires are fine, and this one would be too, if they sold me a good product.

·
Administrator
11,392 Posts
Very good to know! Would they replace brake pads that are still considered ‘healthy’, or would they need to be worn out?

Is there any literature that I can point out to my dealer to avoid any confusion about my complementary alignment? :)
Worn out. It's in your warranty booklet.

Your dealer knows about the alignment.

·
Administrator
11,392 Posts
So you're saying it's totally normal to need a new set of tires under 18k miles? I should just spend over a grand on tires and be happy they give me an alignment?
The other 3 tires are fine, and this one would be too, if they sold me a good product.
I said none of the above. I know you're upset, but taking it out on people helping you won't help the situation.

You need four new tires because you cannot change one, when they are 18,000 miles worn. You otherwise risk damaging the AWD system.

As I said before, I have no idea what your dealership will or will not do for you. Talk to them.

The one free alignment has nothing to do with your situation. As I said, you get one during the 3/36k warranty. That's not related to you in particular. We all get that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Who would I even talk to about this?
The salesman is a liar, won't be talking to him.
Do you ask for a manager?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm not familiar with alignment (have never done one, don't know what goes into it). Would it be better to get a set of tires and THEN take it to get aligned, right away? How do they align it if the tires are trashed like that?
Have you rotated your tires at all? Seeing as it’s only the one tire that is rubbed down this much, I’m inclined to say that you haven’t.

Every oil change (minimum) should your tires be rotated to prevent uneven wear like you’re showing here.

Also, if anyone has done a multipoint inspection of your vehicle during an oil change and not pointed out uneven wear happpening is also an issue. Someone should have at least pointed out this was becoming an issue and would need to be addressed sooner than later.

Firestone has a lifetime alignment package for around $150 (depending on local shop) that allows you to have alignments done for the one time charge for the life of your vehicle. Otherwise it’s $70-$90 per alignment at any other shop.
The fact that you get a free alignment/oil change/ brakes (if worn out) is a huge plus for Subaru.

Not taking care of your vehicle isn’t anyone’s fault but yours. Getting upset at those trying to provide information that you’re reaching out for isn’t exactly going to fox your issue. Just take the info you’ve been given and get your car fixed and in the future, now you know what to expect if you don’t follow the minimum suggestions for vehicle care.

·
Administrator
11,392 Posts
Ask for the service manager and ask him if there's anything he can do to help. Also have them measure tread depth. MAYBE you can get away with one, but the wear needs to be under 2/32" which I find unlikely.

Remember, though this isn't your fault, it's not their either.

Also remember that you can take your Subie to any Subaru dealership.

·
Administrator
11,392 Posts
Have you rotated your tires at all? Seeing as it’s only the one tire that is rubbed down this much, I’m inclined to say that you haven’t.

Every oil change (minimum) should your tires be rotated to prevent uneven west like you’re showing here.
That's very important on our always on AWD systems. Every oil change, like clockwork, mine get rotated. You should have had two already, and be going for your third.

If you did, then, that wear is indicative of alignment being off from an impact, like a curb, or big pot hole.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Every oil change (minimum) should your tires be rotated to prevent uneven west like you’re showing here.
That's a great point, I looked it up and the maintenance schedule says I should have been doing that.
That's yet another point on the side of "never buy another piece of junk Subaru". My last car I put 100k on and never needed to rotate anything other than the regular rotation when you buy a couple new tires.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Probably getting rid of this thing. No way I'm having tires rotated every 6k.

Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it.

·
Administrator
11,392 Posts
So, besides buying the safest 7/8 seater in the country, you bought what's arguably the best AWD system in its class. The trade off is regular tire rotations, because our AWD is always on, always working.

The advantages are that it handles mud, snow, rain, sand, and anything else better than any of the competition.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Have to say, I'm not happy with my 2020 Ascent and not likely to buy another Subie. The thing has been annoying, with its chimes and beeps and buzzes (ok, it doesn't buzz). All the metal trim has tarnished, perhaps due to salt, not sure, but that seems flimsy.

Anyway...I'm just under 18k miles and taking it in for oil change, and the mechanic pulls me over and shows me this on the left rear tire:
View attachment 5893

Completely worn-down, and in very bad shape. All the other tires are fine, that's the inside edge on the LR that's basically gone.
So how bad of an alignment is TOO BAD? Any chance the (sleazy, dishonest) dealer will help make it right? If not, then I'll just stick with my original plan, which was to never go back to that dealership again.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you.
Edit: I didn't realize the OP was not rotating his tires. Probably had something to do with it, though I also stick by my original statement

This is not an isolated incident. My 2018 Outback did something similar and the struts had to get replaced

·
Registered
88 Posts
That's a great point, I looked it up and the maintenance schedule says I should have been doing that.
That's yet another point on the side of "never buy another piece of junk Subaru". My last car I put 100k on and never needed to rotate anything other than the regular rotation when you buy a couple new tires.
That must have been some magical car then. Never had a car where the tires didn’t need to be rotated.
But it seems that all you came on here to do is complain about something that is your fault and not the vehicle’s. We get that you’re upset but maybe place your frustration on the person responsible and just fix it and move on.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Every car should have the tires rotated anywhere from 3-7,500 miles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That must have been some magical car then. Never had a car where the tires didn’t need to be rotated.
But it seems that all you came on here to do is complain about something that is your fault and not the vehicle’s. We get that you’re upset but maybe place your frustration on the person responsible and just fix it and move on.
What don't you get about a bad alignment from the factory? The other 3 wheels are in straight, even wear. Rotation would have just masked their defective product for longer.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts