Subaru Ascent Forum banner

EZ Pass location for my Subaru Ascent

45K views 80 replies 41 participants last post by  xydadx3 
#1 ·
Hey all

2nd day owner of a Subaru Ascent here.

I have an EZ Pass (NY's device for electronic highway toll collections, but also used up and down the east coast). Normally, it is placed on the windshield behind the rear view mirror, out of view of the driver.

Unfortunately, with the EyeSight cameras in the Subarus, that location is off limits.

Where do others have them placed?

According to the owners manual, I can adhere them to the outside 13" on either side of the windshield. I don't want it on the drivers side, as it would be too distracting. Will the toll readers pick them up on the passenger side?

Or, should I return this one, and replace it with an external EZ Pass which attaches to my license plate? Obviously thats much less aesthetically pleasing.

Any input appreciated. Thanks.

See less See more
#3 ·
I don't use mine daily but I never have been a fan of having it on the windshield. I always just keep it in arms reach and hold it up for a few seconds. If I have a passenger with me I will have them hold it up.

My dad has the larger one that you have on the plate holder and he has had issues with it not registering and then having to deal with EZ Pass to fight penalties etc. Plus like you said it does not look great

Not sure there is a real great answer for this one until they are all boothless and then they go right to your plate reg.

#8 ·
I don't use mine daily but I never have been a fan of having it on the windshield. I always just keep it in arms reach and hold it up for a few seconds. If I have a passenger with me I will have them hold it up.
FWIW, that is technically "unlawful" (per the EZPASS website). And I have read about people who have actually been fined for doing that.

Of course, affixing the EZPASS in the wrong place is probably just as bad, so I'm no better than you. ;)

Not sure there is a real great answer for this one until they are all boothless and then they go right to your plate reg.
NYS already has the boothless tolls for the Grand Island Bridge in Niagara Falls. They charge higher rates for cars without transponders (as does Massachusetts). I dont think the transponders are going away (unless you don't mind paying more).

Reactions: Ctsoxceltsfan34
#4 ·
I have an EZ Pass (NY's device for electronic highway toll collections, but also used up and down the east coast). Normally, it is placed on the windshield behind the rear view mirror, out of view of the driver.

Unfortunately, with the EyeSight cameras in the Subarus, that location is off limits.

Where do others have them placed?
How big are those things?

For our Pike Pass, you put it in the black area just to the left or right of the mirror (typically right side), so that the sticker is completely in that area. That works for the Texas and Kansas stickers, too.

If your device will NOT totally fit in the black area, then you'll need to stick it in the corner of the windshield. The reason we don't do that here is that it's possible for your car to miss the scanning station.

#5 ·
In California we have the FasTrak transponder for our tolls, bridges, and metro express lanes. You are supposed to affix it in the eyesight area unfortunately. Personally, I purchased a suction cup holder from amazon because I want to be able to move it around. I usually put in the bottom right or bottom left corner of the windshield. Hopefully that will not affect the eyesight?

Attachments

#7 ·
I usually put in the bottom right or bottom left corner of the windshield. Hopefully that will not affect the eyesight?
Bottom left or right is fine, presuming it's close to the glass. If you actually look at your Eyesight owners manual (or the quick reference guide) it'll show you where you can and can't put stuff. The big offender we see are people who hang stuff from their mirrors - the handicapped placard, the 'disco' ball, or a crucifix or other thing. Those are things you can't do - they can cast reflections upon the glass in the areas the cameras see and cause false readings.

#12 ·
I assume NY has same ezpass as NJ. I just put it in the little triangle area next to the side view mirror. See attached Photo. I have confirmed that it works on the Garden State Parkway in NJ with both slow toll booths and fast overhead toll readers.

I use a suction cup holder that I like very much, as it is very versatile and never falls off. It is here:
https://amazon.com/gp/product/B009Y7MJVS

Attachments

Reactions: pilot1226
#13 ·
I assume NY has same ezpass as NJ. I just put it in the little triangle area next to the side view mirror. See attached Photo. I have confirmed that it works on the Garden State Parkway in NJ with both slow toll booths and fast overhead toll readers.
Thats an interesting location that I hadn't thought of... thank you!

#22 ·
During my delivery on Saturday the person that did out walk through told us to put the EZ Pass in any of the upper corners of the windshield.

I know this may not always work potentially but that is what we were advised to do :)

#25 ·
Florida has the best system with their SunPass - everyone goes through the express tolls on the Florida Turnpike, and if they don't have a SunPass, they get toll-by-plate with, I think, a 25 cent administrative fee per toll in addition to the cost of the toll itself. It's brilliant.

In NJ, we still have to slow down to the posted ~15mph for the booths and go through. I guess the toll plazas are able to change from EZPass to Cash to Exact Change depending on their needs and what not. Some sections of the GSP have an express 2-3 lanes on the left side that are EZPass only and let you stay at highway speed, which are great.

#26 ·
Florida has the best system with their SunPass - everyone goes through the express tolls on the Florida Turnpike, and if they don't have a SunPass, they get toll-by-plate with, I think, a 25 cent administrative fee per toll in addition to the cost of the toll itself. It's brilliant.
Toronto has the same thing with their 407 ETR (Express Toll Road).

The problem is that some out-of-towners don't pay very close attention and end up on the toll road... then they wonder why the 407 is so empty compared to other highways around Toronto... and then the bill shows up (tied to their license plate), and they get billed for a tremendous amount that they weren't expecting (it costs about $1 US per mile).

Morale of the story... its a great feature, as long as you're paying attention. ;)

#28 ·
I'm wondering where folks are putting their EZ-Pass transceivers? When I installed in my last car (2007 prius), right behind the mirror was the place to put it. This seems exactly the wrong spot in the Ascent.
Merged your thread with one that's already addressed this.

Reactions: sloheim
#43 ·
Yuppers... blind spot there...

Yep, absolutely nothing seeing through it anyway. :tango_face_wink: :grin:

#49 ·
Interference

Perhaps a dumb question but how would you know if the transponder was interfering with eyesight? We have a 2016 Crosstrek with eyesight and an EZPass behind the rearview mirror. Just picked up an Ascent and put the EZPass in the same location. I only realized there's a no-go zone when I was researching if my EZPass will interfere with my TXtag and found this forum. The dealer sure never mentioned anything about placement being an issue nor has the service dept when they've done maintenance.

#50 · (Edited)
Perhaps a dumb question but how would you know if the transponder was interfering with eyesight? We have a 2016 Crosstrek with eyesight and an EZPass behind the rearview mirror. Just picked up an Ascent and put the EZPass in the same location. I only realized there's a no-go zone when I was researching if my EZPass will interfere with my TXtag and found this forum. The dealer sure never mentioned anything about placement being an issue nor has the service dept when they've done maintenance.

The 2016 Crosstrek no-go zone is different than the Ascent's. A few posts above, I do a post that shows the acceptable location for the Ascent.

The dealers may not be aware that the Ascent's no-go zone is FAR more limiting than previous Subarus, so, I wouldn't necessarily go by what they don't notice.

#51 ·

Attachments

#53 ·
See my post above, or in the How To section.

And, my bank account can definitely confirm it works there, lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.