Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

2nd day owner of a Subaru Ascent here.

I have an EZ Pass (NY's device for electronic highway toll collections, but also used up and down the east coast). Normally, it is placed on the windshield behind the rear view mirror, out of view of the driver.

Unfortunately, with the EyeSight cameras in the Subarus, that location is off limits.

Where do others have them placed?

According to the owners manual, I can adhere them to the outside 13" on either side of the windshield. I don't want it on the drivers side, as it would be too distracting. Will the toll readers pick them up on the passenger side?

Or, should I return this one, and replace it with an external EZ Pass which attaches to my license plate? Obviously thats much less aesthetically pleasing.

Any input appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hey all

2nd day owner of a Subaru Ascent here.

I have an EZ Pass (NY's device for electronic highway toll collections, but also used up and down the east coast). Normally, it is placed on the windshield behind the rear view mirror, out of view of the driver.

Unfortunately, with the EyeSight cameras in the Subarus, that location is off limits.

According to the owners manual, I can adhere them to the outside 13" on either side of the windshield. I don't want it on the drivers side, as it would be too distracting. Will the toll readers pick them up on the passenger side?

Or, should I return this one, and replace it with an external EZ Pass which attaches to my license plate? Obviously thats much less aesthetically pleasing.

Any input appreciated. Thanks.
I don't use mine daily but I never have been a fan of having it on the windshield. I always just keep it in arms reach and hold it up for a few seconds. If I have a passenger with me I will have them hold it up.

My dad has the larger one that you have on the plate holder and he has had issues with it not registering and then having to deal with EZ Pass to fight penalties etc. Plus like you said it does not look great

Not sure there is a real great answer for this one until they are all boothless and then they go right to your plate reg.

·
Registered
965 Posts

How big are those things?

For our Pike Pass, you put it in the black area just to the left or right of the mirror (typically right side), so that the sticker is completely in that area. That works for the Texas and Kansas stickers, too.

If your device will NOT totally fit in the black area, then you'll need to stick it in the corner of the windshield. The reason we don't do that here is that it's possible for your car to miss the scanning station.

·
Registered
82 Posts
In California we have the FasTrak transponder for our tolls, bridges, and metro express lanes. You are supposed to affix it in the eyesight area unfortunately. Personally, I purchased a suction cup holder from amazon because I want to be able to move it around. I usually put in the bottom right or bottom left corner of the windshield. Hopefully that will not affect the eyesight?

Attachments

·
Registered
932 Posts
I believe you want to go with the TOP PASSENGER side of the windshield for EZPass.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I usually put in the bottom right or bottom left corner of the windshield. Hopefully that will not affect the eyesight?
Bottom left or right is fine, presuming it's close to the glass. If you actually look at your Eyesight owners manual (or the quick reference guide) it'll show you where you can and can't put stuff. The big offender we see are people who hang stuff from their mirrors - the handicapped placard, the 'disco' ball, or a crucifix or other thing. Those are things you can't do - they can cast reflections upon the glass in the areas the cameras see and cause false readings.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't use mine daily but I never have been a fan of having it on the windshield. I always just keep it in arms reach and hold it up for a few seconds. If I have a passenger with me I will have them hold it up.
FWIW, that is technically "unlawful" (per the EZPASS website). And I have read about people who have actually been fined for doing that.

Of course, affixing the EZPASS in the wrong place is probably just as bad, so I'm no better than you. ;)

Not sure there is a real great answer for this one until they are all boothless and then they go right to your plate reg.
NYS already has the boothless tolls for the Grand Island Bridge in Niagara Falls. They charge higher rates for cars without transponders (as does Massachusetts). I dont think the transponders are going away (unless you don't mind paying more).

Reactions: Ctsoxceltsfan34

·
Registered
303 Posts
In California we have the FasTrak transponder for our tolls, bridges, and metro express lanes. You are supposed to affix it in the eyesight area unfortunately. Personally, I purchased a suction cup holder from amazon because I want to be able to move it around. I usually put in the bottom right or bottom left corner of the windshield. Hopefully that will not affect the eyesight?
Yep that’s exactly how I have mine - suction cup mount to the lower left drivers side of the windshield. Leave the mount there, insert and remove the transponder as needed. Seems to Work fine. No issues with eyesight that I am aware of yet.

·
Registered
234 Posts
FWIW, that is technically "unlawful" (per the EZPASS website). And I have read about people who have actually been fined for doing that.

Of course, affixing the EZPASS in the wrong place is probably just as bad, so I'm no better than you. ;)

NYS already has the boothless tolls for the Grand Island Bridge in Niagara Falls. They charge higher rates for cars without transponders (as does Massachusetts). I dont think the transponders are going away (unless you don't mind paying more).
Yea I agree. I always keep mine in the car just in case

·
Registered
27 Posts
My local toll road authority (Houston area) offers a plastic transponder that attaches to the front license plate if you visit their office in person. They always seem to know it's for a Subaru. :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
I assume NY has same ezpass as NJ. I just put it in the little triangle area next to the side view mirror. See attached Photo. I have confirmed that it works on the Garden State Parkway in NJ with both slow toll booths and fast overhead toll readers.

I use a suction cup holder that I like very much, as it is very versatile and never falls off. It is here:
https://amazon.com/gp/product/B009Y7MJVS

Attachments

Reactions: pilot1226

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I assume NY has same ezpass as NJ. I just put it in the little triangle area next to the side view mirror. See attached Photo. I have confirmed that it works on the Garden State Parkway in NJ with both slow toll booths and fast overhead toll readers.
Thats an interesting location that I hadn't thought of... thank you!

·
Registered
174 Posts
My local toll road authority (Houston area) offers a plastic transponder that attaches to the front license plate if you visit their office in person. They always seem to know it's for a Subaru. :)
Illinois has that option as well, we have one on my wife's Outback as it was easier than trying to find a place along the top of the windshield that was obscure enough that it didn't bother her being able to see it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Is it in the manual where the good spots are to put the EZ Pass? Are the black areas on the windshield good or bad areas? So confusing.
According to Page 9 of the Eyesight Quick Start guide (attached), the "black area" is the "prohibited area".

It seems that your best bet is along the very bottom of the windshield, or along the outside 13".

Attachments

Reactions: Sigmonster

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thats an interesting location that I hadn't thought of... thank you!
I'm re-thinking this location. It seems that I need to go very slow for the ezpass scanner to pick it up. I don't want to have to drive that slow.

·
Registered
932 Posts
How about the bottom driver’s side of the front windshield glass? NJ keeps an inspection sticker here anyway.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts