·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,145 Posts
Forester for MY22 would be the fourth year for the current generation and the logical place for this kind of change to happen. Ascent would be at the same place in its cycle that model year, too, so...maybe...

·
Administrator
7,778 Posts
Hi,

Eyesight X is started to be released in Subaru’s cars. Can we expect to have it in the 2022 Ascent ?

Take anything Denis Flierl/Torque News says with a grain of salt. Regardless, the Ascent has been mid-pack in getting the newer systems, and there's no discernible pattern. I would presume it will be Outback/Leggy and Ascent first if it's based on flagship status (but, as it is, we had a 1.5 MY wait after OB got Lane Centering).

Or Impreza/Crosstrek/WRX (with CVT) if it's based on similarity to platform. Forester may follow if it's I/C/W first.

For one thing, this was announced for the Levorg in 2020. Flierl ganked the 2020 image for his article.

www-ridebuster-com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/2020-Subaru-Levorg-001.jpg

I bring that up because there's an actual roadmap someplace which you may or may not be able to find. If you speak Japanese, or know how to do global searches that include results from Japan, you may find what you're looking for. ;)

Maybe later I will dig, if I have time.

Another thing to note is that the 2020 image shows SIX cameras, not four. Two "regular" Eyesight cameras, four corner cameras.

·
Administrator
7,778 Posts
Oh, btw, some things Denis and the rest don't realize/know (he regurgitates, I research)... part of the reason for this is to enable object avoidance. That's coming soon too...

Also, peripheral object avoidance (eg: in the image, right turn collision avoidance, avoiding hitting pedestrians while turning, etc) are additional reasons for the 360° Six Camera Eyesight. ALL non-manual Subarus will eventually get all of this technology, if the current roadmap is met.

So is the ability to maintain control of the car during events of loss of consciousness or serious driver distraction.

I'm sure some of you have heard of their plans to reduce fatalities to 0%, well, that includes impacts with cyclists and pedestrians. To that end, they're working on pedestrian/cyclist airbags as well. There's so much more they're doing to make sure they're the safest. They already beat the averages (crush it in the US)

They take this really seriously, and even continuously track the causes of accident fatalities to know what areas to give priority.

OH... one other tidbit...
Self Parking and Valet Parking modes are coming soon too.

In Summary:
Subaru has a comprehensive Autonomous Driving timeline in place that is designed to both (a) enable far safer cars, and (b) enable all sorts of assistive and autonomous systems for driver comfort and convenience.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
It looks like Subaru is doing a great job refining their automobiles. Their safety ratings are stellar. Pretty soon the average price of a nice SUV will be approaching $50K. All of these "goodies" cost money.

·
Administrator
7,778 Posts
I am hoping that the proliferation of such technologies eventually makes them drop, and thus creates a curve instead of an ever upwards rising trend. For instance, 5 years ago, no one would consider LIDAR for a car, but from economies of scale affecting prices, and continued technological advances, it's now becoming more feasible.

Crossing my fingers.

It looks like Subaru is doing a great job refining their automobiles. Their safety ratings are stellar. Pretty soon the average price of a nice SUV will be approaching $50K. All of these "goodies" cost money.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Pretty soon the average price of a nice SUV will be approaching $50K.
It already hit that with many brands...Subaru is still a leader with the Ascent and "more reasonable" pricing for a very nice, mid-sized SUV. MSRP on the 2012 JGC I previously owned was over $50K and that was 8 years ago. The same trim/feature set is over $60K now.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
It looks like Subaru is incrementally pushing their vehicles toward full-automated vehicle. I wouldn't be surprised if the 3rd gen Ascent drives itself full-time, from point A to B.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
It looks like Subaru is incrementally pushing their vehicles toward full-automated vehicle. I wouldn't be surprised if the 3rd gen Ascent drives itself full-time, from point A to B.
Way too premature by at least a decade. Full automation requires advanced read infrastructure, which we do not have. Also complicated legislation and tort negotiations. The vehicle is only one small piece of the puzzle.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Packout, third generation Ascent would be in that decade timeframe given Subaru's typical 5 year cycle. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts