Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most auto manufacturers now offer some sort of safety package similar to eyesight in one form or another. Some rely on cameras and some rely on radar etc. No system will be perfect in all driving scenarios. To date, I have been happy with my Ascent eyesight experience. I am wondering how eyesight compares to the competitions' versions from a technical standpoint (regardless of cost considerations).

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,214 Posts
My previous vehicle used a radar based solution for ACC and FCW. (Mine was older and didn't have automatic braking) It worked fine and I enjoyed it a lot. Where EyeSight is sensitive to visual disruption...turns off in heavy rain, for example (as it should), the radar based system did the same when the sensor, mounted low on the bumper, would get dirty or temporarily covered by slush, etc.

In an ideal world, I'd actually like a system that used both optical and radar sensing. I think that any advantages of each over the other would result in a very complimentary and adaptable solution.

EyeSight on my Ascent is certainly a lot more advanced than the system that was on my MY12 vehicle from another manufacturer and has some better capabilities than the EyeSight on my spouse's MY16 Outback Limited with EyeSight. Neither is surprising to me.

·
Administrator
11,124 Posts
It's better at stopping for or mitigating impact for pedestrians, and rates tops in the same for dropping speed for pre collision braking, topping out over 30mph in various tests. In outside testing, that even put it ahead of Tesla.

It's not as good as some with side sensors for cross traffic coming from next to the car. With new Teslas coming out with side cams, they should have the advantage there.

IIHS just released 2020 Outback Eyesight pedestrian tests and the results were amazing. At least one car brand doesn't notice pedestrians, and the rest I've seen aren't nearly as capable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts