Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the Ascent, but one of my biggest complaints is the lane keep assist (enough to make me question sometimes if I should have gotten the Honda Pilot). My comparison is my daily driver, a 2017 Honda Accord with Honda Sensing. The LKA system for Honda also helps to keep the car centered in the lane, so that it can steer itself for short periods of time, even through a curve on highway roads (not encouraging this, but just to illustrate what it can do). In contrast, the Ascent's LKA kicks in only when you start to get close to the lane markers, and the correction it applies feels jerky. I find the pinballing effect very unpleasant compared to the smoothness of Honda's LKA. It makes a huge difference for long distance trips. I think I have read that Subaru is working on updating the Eyesight's LKA so that it will help to center the car, and that this will be available on the 2020 Legacy. And if this is the case, anyone have any idea if it could be possible that a software update for Eyesight could make this new feature available on the 2019 Ascent?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I used the LKA one time on a 300mi round trip and I thought my steering box has an electrical short w/ the jerkiness, like the "pinballing effect" you mentioned. Comes to think of it, it would be less alarming to modify the entire LKA concept to mimic Honda. However, I believe there's a sacrifice for me to have the Honda's LKA concept, that it is continuing to actively control the steering box. I'm not sure if that's such a good idea of having the robot controlling the steering box more frequently than the Ascent's to keep the car centered at all time.

This topic is exactly the same, in principal, as the no overhead light switches/control for the second/third row that I saw the other week. The OP compared it to the conventional dome light that's typically centrally-located at the headliner. The four individual lights is conceptually different than having two (eg highlander or others), centralize vs individuals.

Perhaps the two features described above (LKA and overhead lights) are different than competitors is what makes the Subaru brand unique. I have two little kids that changes their mind a lot because they haven't spent a lot of time on those experiences, and I do the same sometimes. However, that might not be the most appropriate way to conduct ourselves, though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The likelihood of a feature add via an update is nonexistant. I have a 16 Outback with an earlier gen of EyeSight and it's never been updated, let alone received new capability. The Ascent eyesight is noticeably more accurate and customizable overall.

LKA and Lane Centering are two different features that various manufacturers employ.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I've had zero issues with LKA. Just had to get used to it at first with a wider car you sit up higher I was hugging the left side more than I thought. After that no issues. Maybe your lanes are narrower?

Reactions: Trey T

·
Registered
684 Posts
it will be "confirmed" after cars are on the lot .. according to "official page " Tri-zone climate control is now only offered on base models ?

·
Registered
25 Posts

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Lane keep assist is not lane centering. Using it as lane centering will make you pinball.

It assists your active steering attempts. I go into detail here:

I have used LKA (except in construction zones, etc) since day one. Once I learned how it worked, and got comfortable with it, I ended up loving it.

Everyone should decide whether it's for them or not, but, hopefully knowing a bit more about how the system works can help everyone have an easier time deciding.

·
Registered
89 Posts
This is the closest I've gotten for confirmation from a sales person that I'm working with.

To answer your questions:

The 2020 Ascent Limited will have Hands free power lift gate as well as the Adaptive Cruise control with lane Centering as new features!

Respectfully,

Taz Azim
Internet Sales Manager
Direct line 408-786-4630 call or text
Stevens Creek Subaru
[email protected]

·
Registered
146 Posts
I like the Ascent, but one of my biggest complaints is the lane keep assist (enough to make me question sometimes if I should have gotten the Honda Pilot). My comparison is my daily driver, a 2017 Honda Accord with Honda Sensing. The LKA system for Honda also helps to keep the car centered in the lane, so that it can steer itself for short periods of time, even through a curve on highway roads (not encouraging this, but just to illustrate what it can do). In contrast, the Ascent's LKA kicks in only when you start to get close to the lane markers, and the correction it applies feels jerky. I find the pinballing effect very unpleasant compared to the smoothness of Honda's LKA. It makes a huge difference for long distance trips. I think I have read that Subaru is working on updating the Eyesight's LKA so that it will help to center the car, and that this will be available on the 2020 Legacy. And if this is the case, anyone have any idea if it could be possible that a software update for Eyesight could make this new feature available on the 2019 Ascent?
I mostly agree with this -- I haven't driven enough pure highway miles to get significant experience with it, but mostly I find that the adjustments it makes are just too abrupt, and I find myself reacting to adjustment, making the overall experience kind of off-putting.

I mostly think LKA as a concept is less useful than lane centering. I think it would work better if the LKA adjustments EyeSight made were earlier and more proportionate to the rate of lane deviation. But at this point, it's basically become Lane Centering "lite".

·
Registered
146 Posts
The likelihood of a feature add via an update is nonexistant. I have a 16 Outback with an earlier gen of EyeSight and it's never been updated, let alone received new capability. The Ascent eyesight is noticeably more accurate and customizable overall.

LKA and Lane Centering are two different features that various manufacturers employ.
The thing is, I'd wager that Lane Centering is probably just a software update, and probably a minor one, to the existing EyeSight and LKA capabilities. EyeSight already has to continuously track lanes and have the ability to actuate the steering, so it's more than likely just software that changes the behavior of LKA to make more, smaller adjustments to steering to keep the vehicle on center vs. moving it at lane deviation.

I can see where some significant feature upgrade in EyeSight involves significant upgrades in software and the hardware it uses (more compute power, CPU, RAM, possibly improvements in cameras/imaging), thus making an upgrade to features more or less impossible.

But in the case of lane centering on the 2020 Ascent, I'd be willing to bet that the software would work on the existing hardware package, but its regulatory approval and marketing that prevent 2019s from gaining lane centering via an upgrade.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have LKA and Lane Centering on another car I recently bought. I ended up switching the Lane Centering off, as it was just too intrusive. It was constantly moving my steering wheel, which effectively meant I had to surrender all control (although still had to keep touching the steering wheel). I found that actually more stressful, so for me it defeated its purpose. I switched it off, and just use the LKA, which like my Subaru, just nudges the steering wheel when you near the edge of the lane. LKA is a good safety feature, which I do like, just in case for some reason I stray off my lane. But I still prefer to do my own driving otherwise.

I may try lane centering again, on a longer highway drive, to see how it works there, but for normal multi lane freeway driving, or city driving, I don't like it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I reached out to Subaru but was informed that they cannot update the eyesight system. There is a group of us hoping to get enough people to purchase the Comma 2 with openpilot. If we get 10 or more people to commit, there will be a 15% discount from Comma.ai. here is the link below.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts